“Good, authentic food in a touristy venue”

Brasserie Le Carnot
Ranked #85 of 218 Restaurants in Beaune
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Starters were 'ok'. But main course completely unacceptable - v dry beef bourgogne with overcooked tagliatelle and no sauce. Tagliatelle Marine gratine was basically tagliatelle with cheese. I pointed out to the waitress that there was no seafood in it and was ignored. Very poor.
Reviewed June 21, 2013

The joint was packed with tourists, but when I looked over the menu outside I noticed andouillette AAAAA, so I insisted on having lunch there to get my annual andouillette fix. The food was quite good (foie gras included). The menu is regional and not obviously tourist oriented. We washed it all down with a Hospices de Beaune, about as local as you can get. The service was friendly and efficient.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

We dined at Brasserie Le Carnot in late May 2013. This was a completely wasted meal. By this I mean: this is France. Every meal should be a treat. This meal was both boring AND expensive and thus anything but a treat.

We ate here on a Sunday night when our dinning options in Beaune were limited by many closures and otherwise booked restaurants due to it being Mother’s Day in France. The Brasserie is inviting and looked very traditional… nothing however you couldn’t find in a decent “brasserie” in London or New York or Washington. That said, the staff was very nice and reasonably efficient, they took the order promptly and the food came out fairly quickly.

However, it was all just so so. I had a steak and frits and my wife had steak tartare with frits. We had salad and desert as well. Nothing was wrong with it, but it was just not very interesting. This is a place is seemingly geared to tourist who want to think they’re having a French meal but who really aren’t interested in eating more than a very superficial version of a typical brasserie dinner (the pizza did look good, but this is France, why have pizza?). Anyway two mains, two entrees, two deserts and a half bottle of local wine, ran over $75 Euros.

Again, it wasn’t bad but if I’m going to spend nearly a $100 dollars on dinner for two, it should be more memorable than I can get in a fake brasserie in the U.S.

There are some great dinning options in Beaune and in the immediate area. Don’t waste your money or time here unless you’ve nowhere else to go and no other recommendation. You won’t be wowed—only bored and resentful of the expense.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

Although it was filled mostly with tourists, it was great. We eat there several times, since it seems always open and ready to serve. The salads are huge and tasty. I was surprised how many escargot were on my Salade Bourguignon. Good value. The inexpensive Pinot Noir is good, too. After three weeks in France, we needed a good hamburger, and it also was good. It's not for a special night out -- it's atmosphere is pubish. Still it's great for a good bite to eat at good prices.

Reviewed May 23, 2013

We actually ate here twice for lucnh and once for dinner during our four day stay in Beaune. It's a cozy place on a pedestrian shopping street off the Hotel Dieu plaza. It fills up rapidly at the noon hour as the shops close and the locals and tourists pour in.

The service is friendly and the menu has a nice selection of salads, sandwiches, pizzas and plats. And they have a nice abbey beer on draft. We ranged from salads with escargot, jambon, poached eggs, a round of camembert to a foot long jambon et frommage sandwich to a veggie pizza. My wife opted for the local Cremant each meal.

Prices are reasonable and portions are huge. Service is friendly.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Service was attentive, friendly, quick and polite. Food was hot, and as ordered, though not over the top cuisine. We stopped into town to see Pierre at l'Ange garden and were pleased with this quick tasty lunch. Place was hoping, even after we finished, the inside seating had thinned while the terrace was almost full.