“Lovely Dinner in Beaune”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Caves Madeleine

Caves Madeleine
Ranked #18 of 205 Restaurants in Beaune
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Orlando, FL
“Lovely Dinner in Beaune”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

We had dinner at Caves Madeleine a few years ago, so when we decided to visit Beaune again we knew we had to go back. Our dinner last month was absolutely perfect! The wines Lolo chose for us were perfect with each course. The service was impeccable and the food divine. I am a vegetarian, so I was a little worried going in. They had a fabulous ravioli with truffles on the menu that night, so I didn't even need to order anything special. This is a must visit restaurant, but be sure to make reservations in advance. The place books up and we saw scores of hungry people not get a table.

Visited May 2013

Toronto, Canada
“Outstanding service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

Reservations are generally needed at this restaurant as it is small and very popular. My friend and I reserved, and got a private table rather than sitting at the larger community table. Our meals were excellent, and cooked to our satisfaction. The most striking thing about this restaurant was the interaction between the guests and staff. Every staff member, including the chef, at some point had visited our table to check in on us and to ask how we were enjoying the meal. They were continually doing rounds throughout the evening, chatting with folks, and just being very friendly and helpful. We speak some French, but still had trouble understanding the menu, but the server took his time to explain every option in English so that we knew what we were ordering. We were impressed.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Anonymous_Canadian
“Great food served in an airplane.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The food is really, really, good, and its price is fair. The wine bottles, in the other hand, are pretty overpriced, but they serve reasonable glasses at 5 euros. The service is poor - the two waitresses don't speak either perfect english or french (I couldnt understand what I was about to eat until my plate arrived). But the real negative point is the big table the owner forces you to share with other people (we tried to switch places but the individual tables are set for four people or for the owner' buddies). It is really unconfortable. There is no leg space or back support, and you practilly sit in you neighbor's lap (and they can give their opinion about your conversation, because there is no privacy). The sensation is that you are eating a wonderfull dish in an airplane.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Mariloyola
Chicago, Illinois
“One of the top places in Beaune”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Can't speak for the experience of some of the recent diners who were less then thrilled, but my wife and I loved all aspects. Lolo, the owner was very gracious. The servers were polite and attentive. The food was very good. I like the fact that you can choose your own wine from the wall, though if you want help, Lolo is right there for advice. We had a 2007 Hospice de Beaune from a barrel Lolo had bought - it was very good and fairly priced. Yes, the menu is on a blackboard in French, but (a) study even just a little French before you go to ah, France, and you will be able to at least get the gist of each dish and (b) ask one of the servers to translate which we did for a couple of dishes. If it had not been our last night in Beaune, we would have gone back again without a doubt.

• Visited May 2013
Saint Louis
“Huge Disappointment after other places in Beaune”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

The place is cute with a large community table. ordered an excellent bottle of wine from the owner server who is very nice. The service was first rate. However the food failed to deliver as well. I ordered the owner's reccomended dishes. The sausage from another farm was very good and serving generous. The bread was just average with burnt crust. The beef cheeks were over cooked and not to my liking. tasted like stew meat. My wifes sea bass was tasteless to be honest, very clean and simple but with little flavor. Both looked better than they tasted. We loved the place from an atmosphere point of view and the prices were very fair. certainly have had much worse meals but this place came from several reccomendations and we were so looking forward to it. oh well, maybe just not our cup of tea.

• Visited April 2013