“The only Burgundy wine tour you should ever do!”

Burgundy Wine School
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Private In depth and Initiation Wine Courses as well as Private Wine Tours on Burgundy Wines, focusing on the Cote de Beaune & Cote de Nuits. From 90 minutes and up to 2 days. Fun & Informative wine Programs for beginners and advanced wine lovers.
Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have been working in the wine industry a long time, and I learnt more in a day than I have with many years experience. Cristina was very professional and very interesting! I could've listened to her speak all day. We began the day with a lesson, a very detailed explanation of soils, site situation, viticulture and winemaking for my winemaker friend. As we travelled to the vineyard sites, we got to see and understand what Burgundy is about. We went to an amazing producer in Saint-Aubin and my eyes were opened to a special region and wines that I wouldn't normally get to taste. Cristina's recommendations for lunch were spot on, we went to an outstanding restaurant in Pommard and had one of our best meals.
She is very knowledgeable about Beaune, so we learnt of some great spots for further dining, wine shopping and great cheese! We went to Volnay in the afternoon, and had another amazing tasting followed by a very interesting tour at Chateau de Clos Vougeot. To finish, a wonderful glass of Pinot Noir in the vines with the sun shining. We learnt so much during our day with Cristina, and I feel we were exposed to the true essence of Burgundy. It is clear that she is passionate about Burgundy, and I would highly recommend this tour to anyone...wine industry or not!

1  Thank LouiseB898
All reviews
"burgundy wine"
in 17 reviews
"asked lots of questions"
"great teacher"
in 3 reviews
"gran cru"
in 2 reviews
"spent a wonderful afternoon"
"premier cru"
"taste"
in 31 reviews
"variance"

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I'm a bit of a wine lover, so I was really keen to visit Burgundy. My girlfriend bought us the day tour with Cristina and it was honestly the best birthday present ever. We visited the vineyards, including a lot of the Grand Cru and Premier Cru vineyards (which really gives you a feel for the terroir) and tasted some awesome wines too. Burgundy is probably my favourite French region for wine, so being shown around with someone who really knows it well really made the visit worthwhile. It wasn't just about the wine either - she also knows a lot about the history of the place.

Cristina is a sensational guide and we had a great time chatting with her. We're planning on going back and sharing a few bottles with her as soon as we can.

2  Thank Alex R
kika14, Manager at Burgundy Wine School, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Dear Guests, I am writing fot the first time a management response to thank you all for your support and to let you know that the old website, still advertised here has been hacked, as well as all associated email addresses. The new website is 3wdottasteburgundywineschooldotORG and the related email addresses is tasteburgundywineschoolatgmaildotcom. To be sure to contact us it is better to phone us, as the phone number is unchanged.
Thank you for your support.
Cristina OTEL

Reviewed November 27, 2012

The day tour with Cristina was one of the highlights of our stay in Burgundy. She is an expert in wine and the terroir. We learned and tasted the differences between village, premier cru and grand cru designations. We visited vineyards,had lunch in a Michelin star restaurant recommended by Cristina and were so impressed that we would recommend this experience to all.

2  Thank Traveler062
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Loving Burgundy, and travelling with my cousin and her husband from the US for their first time in Europe, we wanted a personal and varied experience of France for them to enjoy, and wanted to see something new ourselves. Thus, we again chose the lovely hotel Le Cep in Beaune and the Taste of Burgundy Wine Tour with Cristina.

It’s hard to decide just what part of our experience with Cristina and the Taste of Burgundy was best. Was it the smiling face that welcomed us at the Dijon airport and whisked us off northward on a hike to the top of a huge rock jutting up from rolling hills? Then, while serving us a picnic lunch (complete with pates, cheeses, meats, fresh breads and of course wonderful wine), she eloquently tells the stories of centuries past and the establishment of the area as we gaze off the edge into the vineyards. It is peaceful and quiet and there’s even a horse and plough working the fields in the distance. You feel as if you’re alone in a time long ago. And that was just the first two hours! Welcome to Burgundy!

She dropped us at our hotel and once we had settled, we joined Cristina’s world again. Entering her office in the centre of Beaune, the stories of hundreds of years come through the stone walls and the ease with which she welcomes you makes you feel as if you’re part of the family come home to visit. She took us through a whirlwind of information on grapes, vineyards, villages, dirt, rain, slope slant, characteristics, etc. etc. etc.

After the initial briefing, she took us into the countryside to lovely shops where numerous smaller wineries sell their wines together. We went to vineyards of Grand Cru and Premier Cru where we sat and talked with the vintner and sampled the different vintages. We went deep into the cellars where Cristina described the various barreling processes. We sampled many varieties, directly from the barrels, as part of our palate training. We visited Chateau de Clos Vougeot (a must for first-timers in Burgundy) which gave a view into how the monks made wines and the role of wine in their society.

Cristina will provide an excellent overview to help you improve your knowledge. If you are already a connoisseur (like my husband) she will rise to the occasion and share even more brilliant tidbits that amaze even the most knowledgeable. "The more you know about wine, you realize there is so much more to know," he says.

As our time was ending, Cristina strolled back through the village with us. As usual, she nodded and spoke to the local shopkeepers and then she joined us for lunch as if we were old friends. We strongly recommend the Taste of Burgundy Tour. Cristina has a massive depth of knowledge and enjoys sharing. Whether you want a physical experience (climbing mountains and tripping through vineyards on hillsides) or a more relaxing time visiting with the local artists of wine, Taste of Burgundy will more than meet your expectations! Many thanks, Cristina! We WILL be back! And we’re bringing company.

2  Thank TorontoTraveler_2008
See more reviews
Reviewed November 4, 2012

When I was seeking a guide in Burgundy, I had in mind someone who had an in-depth knowledge of the area and its wines, to organise a tour and winery visits that would suit those with more than a rudimentary knowledge of viticulture and vinification. My expectations were surpassed at every level.

Right from the very first email communication, Cristina showed efficiency and professionalism, which was to continue throughout my intensive three-day visit. She displayed attention to detail, punctuality and, respect, both towards myself and the vignerons we visited. Indeed her ability to put our hosts at ease, whilst simultaneously translating for me, was masterful.

The additional information she provided on the cultural, historical and geographical particularities of the area, while visiting Beaune itself, the outlying villages, and individual Grand Cru vineyards, added to the holistic experience for me.

Cristina obviously has a passion for wine, and Burgundy in particular, a passion that is infectious, and married to an intimate knowledge of winemaking and the wine business. I have no hesitation in recommending her service, and her informative website, to my fellow oenophiles, and hope to return in the not too distant future.

Brendan from Oz