“Restaurant with an attitude”

Le Bistrot Bourguignon
Ranked #58 of 218 Restaurants in Beaune
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 21, 2011

Contrary to other reviews posted we had enjoyable time at this place. I went with my girlfriend and my brother. We don't like to have wait staff hovering around while we eat. We ordered our food, got a recommendation for the wine and settled in for a pleasant experience. Finding the bathroom was a bit tricky but a hoot never the less. The food, wine and atmosphere were all very good. It is a venue for Jazz on saturday nights, so if you want good food and music it may be the place to go.

1  Thank LTTravelCalgary

Reviewed May 10, 2011

Don't be taken in my the cute décor--the patron and staff of this bistrot are not only rude and snobby but aggressively so. I've lived in France for years and never been so openly mocked (and paid a lot for it, too--what ever happened to cheaper prices in Provincial France?)

3  Thank jadork
Reviewed May 9, 2011

Dear fellow readers and travelers, my boyfriend and I, along with another couple, went to Beaune and Dijon for a getaway weekend recently. We took a lonely planet guide, which had recommended le Bistro Bourguignon based on it's wine and affordable lunches. Since we were in Beaune in the first place to taste wine, at lunch we decided to simply have the plat du jour for 14 euros (the most reasonably priced lunch "plat" item) and have water. I live in France, my boyfriend is french, and the other couple we were with have lived in France for a year and none of us has ever had any hostility or rudeness for taking an inexpensive dish and water (of course they want you to have wine and the expensive items, but you are still not obligated to take them). From then and out we had the worst service I've had in my entire eating career...we really should have just walked out and called it a day, get a bakery sandwich...but we stuck it out. First, the owner, or one of the owners, not really sure, came over and openly mocked us in french "Such a nice a weekend in Burgundy, when you don't drink wine". Then our food came and we were given bread (almost a standard in french bistros) and the owner was angry with the waiter for this saying "No wine, no bread" audibly. We continued to eat, thinking how could this lady possibly be so bitter over a damn carafe d'eau and plat du jour. Then, being 4 people, 2 of them quite tall and thirsty, we emptied the carafe quite quickly...but knew asking for a refill would be unpleasant. This was validated when we asked for said refill and the owner said "that's not my job". OK. So, at the end of a fairly tasty meal (I won't deny the good quality of the food), I went up to pay, and she had to get her last dig in saying "The water is free". Alright lady, point taken, you are a wine bar and bistro, that's your business. However, what was really surprising is that the people sitting next to us also had the plat du jour AND ONLY water and were not subject to any comments, rudeness, or mockery. Not to mention another one of the server's walks around like he has got a bad smell up his nose. Yikes ! This may be an alright spot to eat, the decor is quite nice, but don't expect a warm welcome (or even a normal, polite) which you can most definitely get in other restaurants around town like Piqu'Boeuf.

1  Thank ktraveler10
Reviewed August 12, 2010

Both waiters were very brief to ignoring. we felt the opposite of welcome.
If you're local however, the approach is warm and attentive. We weren't local (although we tried our best French) and we skipped dessert just to get out of there.

1  Thank IrisManon
Reviewed May 31, 2010

In three days in Beaune, the Bistro Bourgignon was our standout restaurant. Excellent food and service in a casual, but cool atmosphere. I had superbly prepared escargot and beef bougignon (that too often are mediocre cliches), wine and dessert. I'm not sure I would return to Beaune, but if I did it would be to the Bistro Bourgignon. Make sure your reserve in advance.