“magic in Burgundy”
Review of Burgundy Discovery

Burgundy Discovery
Ranked #2 of 60 Food & Drink in Beaune
More attraction details
Owner description: Started in 2003, Burgundy Discovery, offers personal, small group wine tasting tours, in English, to carefully selected wine cellars and vineyards in Burgundy that are not always accessible to the public. We take you to meet independent, family winegrowers typical to Burgundy. We visit their ancient cellars, taste their wonderful wines and explore world-famous vineyards as wine-lists come alive! Tours are informal, informative and fun. Join us in a Burgundy Discovery wine tour and share our deep passion for Burgundy and our wines.
Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband and I decided to visit Beaune during our honeymoon to France and based on positive reviews, we decided to go with Burgundy Discovery for a day-long tour of local wineries. We are by no means wine connoisseurs but got an excellent introduction to the region, all of the background info we'd ever need (but not too much) and really got a feel for the history and connectedness of Burgundy. Our hosts, Robert and Joy, were fun, knowledgable and gave the feeling that they loved to share what they knew. I'd recommend the tour to anyone visiting the area.

Reviewed October 22, 2012

What a wonderful way to get to know and experience the wines of Burgundy. Robert and Joy were very friendly! They were great at giving you all the information you need to know but not overloading you. They truly wanted you to just enjoy tasting the wine without being stuffy about it. It was great to observe several vineyards from a very small scale to a much larger one. The most important thing that Robert and Joy bring is access to these vineyards, we would have been lost trying to contact the owners to schedule our own tastings. After the tour had ended, Robert even took us to the supermarket in Beaune to buy a new suitcase after hearing that ours had broken! I would recommend this wine tour to anyone considering visiting the Burgundy region.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

I researched several wine tours in the Beaune region before we left for France and decided on Burgundy Discovery. My husband and I cannot say enough nice things about Rob and Joy, the owners, who are just delightful people and so knowledgeable about wine. They are British so this is perfect for people who want their tour in English. We had such a fun day with them and the other two couples on the tour. At first, I choked on the price when I was researching, but I have to say, it was worth every penny and more! Rob and Joy picked us up at our bed and breakfast in the countryside which was one of the convincing things on my list. Many of the other tours, you have to drive somewhere to meet them. So, what's the point if you are wine tasting throughout the day if you then have to get in a car and drive afterwards! But that wasn't the only thing. In addition to taking us to a variety of wonderful family owned wineries for tastings, they gave us an incredible education on wine production in France. We are from California and jokingly think we are experienced "wine snobs." France is very different with the Controllee. We really got a great education. Lunch (with wine) was at a fabulous little bistro. I think we got back to our b&b probably around 5:30 or 6pm. It was the most memorable day of our trip!

Reviewed October 17, 2012

Where to begin? I can't even begin to say enough wonderful things about my experience with this tour.

First of all i live in Canada and I was very easily able to set up my tour in advance and arrange for the train to be in Beaune in time for the tour where the guides picked me up and took me on my way. The first time i did this tour i was solo and I felt completely comfortable with the small groups they have set up. i truly gained a new appreciation for wine, wine making and the steps that go into the process. I have been on dozens of wine tours in Canada and nothing even comes close to comparing to this experience. You get to go into the cellars (real cellars) that are dark and moist . . . where you will taste the wine.

I had so much fun that i went back 2 years later, because of this experience and the quaintness of Burgundy it became my favourite place in the world. So much so my Fiance decided to propose to me in Burgundy. It was the day before the tour and we were staying at a cute bed and breakfast recommended by Burgundy Discovery where he got down on one knee and proposed.
As for the wine tour my fiance absolutely loved it. The experience was totally different from the first time i was there, we visited different wineries tried completely different wines, but of course it was just as wonderful. The first time the wine centralized around the red wine region and the second time we focused on the white. Even my red wine drinking fiance greatly enjoyed and appreciated the white wine.

During the day you will visit 3 wineries and have an incredible lunch at a local restaurant. Both times I have been it has been the best food I have ever tasted.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

We spent two days with Robert and Joy, touring different wineries. We speak very little French (ok, none) and it was such a relief to have them take us to wineries and restaurants that we wouldn't have ever considered on our own. They were very accomodating, assisting us with our luggage back to the train station, helping us research the best way to ship our wine, etc. We were lucky enough to tour during harvest season, and they had such great relationships with the wineries that we were allowed to visit during what is really a very crazy, busy time. We absolutely enjoyed our tours and would recommend them highly!