“Almost very good but just average”
Review of Piqu'Boeuf

Piqu'Boeuf
Ranked #26 of 214 Restaurants in Beaune
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My husband and I ate here on our first night in Beaune at the recommendation of our B&B host. I ordered the steak, my husband started with a half dozen escargots and as a main, had the boeuf Bourguignon. In a part of France known for it's beef, I have to say that I was rather disappointed with my steak. Not a lot of flavour. And the frites weren't up to others I've had in France. Both were average.
My husband's escargots and beef b. were very tasty. Service was pleasant enough. We had a half bottle of lovely wine - the total bill came to 59 Euros - so pretty good value for the money.
If it wasn't for my disappointing steak, I might have rated the place a bit higher but really, I think there are much better places to be found in this beautiful city.

Reviewed September 9, 2013

If it wasn't for the rude, uncaring waitress (the one wearing glasses), we could have had a pleasant dinner. She had such a bad attitude towards English-speaking people, it was appalling! Even though one of our party members spoke French, our arrogant waitress couldn't be bothered. The menus were also available in English, however we only found this out when one of the friendlier waitresses presented them to an American couple who were at the table next to ours. One person in our group opted for the 3-course menu and everything was good. Unfortunately, the rest of our main courses (steaks) were nothing special (considering this restaurant is renowned for its beef!). One of the steaks had to be sent back because it was practically raw (blue), even after we reiterated many times to the waitress that this particular one had to be done medium to well. The other steaks were ok, nothing special. When we explained to our waitress (in French) that the steak was rare and should have been well done, she rolled her eyes and took it away without saying a word. The chef didn't look too pleased either and we then waited a very very long time before it came back (this time, properly cooked). Unfortunately, by the time this steak came back, the rest of the party had pretty much finished their main course. We were given no apology, nothing, just the plate of food rudely placed on the table. This totally ruined the evening for us all and we just wanted to leave, but because one of our party had ordered the 3-course menu, we had to wait for their dessert (very nice dessert too). None of us have ever experienced such rude, cold and arrogant service before. The owner surely needs to replace her because with that attitude, she is going to ruin his business. We then had to wait a long time again for the bill. When our rude waitress presented the bill, we told her that we were unimpressed with the steak - she then said that she had misunderstood us and thought we wanted it rare! To top it all, the air conditioning wasn't working, so the restaurant was awfully hot!!! We couldn't wait to get out of that place, the worst restaurant experience we've had from bad service to unimpressive steaks!

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Don't go. Very disappointing. The restaurant is on a road next to traffic lights and the fumes coming in made us ill. The staff couldn't be bothered. The head chef, man of the place miserable. And all that for a lot of money. Oh and chips where ready made, food average, wine overpriced.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We could have had a delightful dinner but for our surly, huffy puffy waitress. Truly management needs to replace her immediately. We came in and were met by a perfectly charming man whom I believe was the owner. He was gracious and accommodating. We expected a nice experience...but were a bit sadden by the fact it was Monday and our choices were limited. We spent a true considerable amount of money...ordering two premier crus. Our food was good but the woman whom was our main wait person was so very horrible that we had a miserable time. The theatrics were unbelievable. The other woman who was the bus person was very nice. Overall avoid...it will be a lot of money and a miserable evening.

Reviewed September 1, 2013

We had just arrived in Beaune and our BnB recommended us to go to Piqu'Boef, as it was a good place and also had the advantage of being open on a Sunday. As most restaurants are closed Sunday and Monday, reservations are recommended those two days, or you have to show up right when they open at 7 pm. We got there at 7:30 pm and got if maybe the last available table.
The menu consists mostly of beef, as the name indicates. One thing you have to be aware of, is that in Burgundy their steaks are only cooked one way, and that is rare. You can ask for well done as much as you like, but any Burgundy chef with respect for the local meat, will only sear it well on the grill and leave the center rare. If you can't handle rare meat, go for a stew like beef bourguignon, where the meat is cooked through.
We had steaks and they were ok, not the best cut, but still with lots of flavor. The service was classic French, meaning you have to order in French or they will roll their eyes at you. My wife ordered in French, but I had to do it in English, which got me the "dork" look and eye roll from the waitress. And also, a note to those that was wondering why they were left waiting for their check, well that's how it works in France, they welcome you to sit after your dessert until you actively ask for your check.
So all in all, it was ok, nothing special.