“Creative, varied menu, well executed”
Review of Le Benaton

Le Benaton
Ranked #39 of 220 Restaurants in Beaune
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We were seated on the outdoor terrace, which was reasonably comfortable even though the ambient temperature was in the upper 90's. Le Benaton is one of those rare eateries where every item on the menu is tempting. For example, a starter of tete de veau roti accompanied by a perfect grilled langoustine, or a marvellous concoction of homard bleu with diced mango and other goodies. My pigeon was served rare as requested and was superb. Even the more ambitious dishes were flawlessly executed. The meal was well paced and punctuated with lots of fascinating amuses. Naturally there is an extensive selection of regional wines (it's Burgundy!), reasonably priced. Service is cheerful, a bit brusque, and conducted entirely in French (this is not Paris after all). I would love to go back, especially if there was not a heat wave going on.

5  Thank NinthCircle

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Le Benaton is very small, so booking is recommended. The food was very good and beautifully presented, with the star for me being the perfect egg with asparagus and morels. The chocolate dessert was also delicious. Great service and a good ambience!

5  Thank sandip_k
Reviewed May 21, 2013

A group of girlfriends traveled to Burgundy for a wine tasting weekend. We read reviews of Le Benaton and decided to try it - it lived up to every positive review!! The food was delicious, inventive and unique. The cheese tray was the group favourite and the wines were memorable! I highly recommend this place to anyone visiting Beaune!

4  Thank TeamMueller
Reviewed May 10, 2013

My husband and I are regular visitors of Michelin-starred restaurants. I did not particularly like this restaurant for a few reasons. First, the welcome was so-so. My appetizer, lobster with mango, contained caviar, which I hate, and the caviar was not mentioned on the menu. Fine, I am difficult. Then I chose the chicken, ok, not fantastic, so I ended up slipping half of it to my dog under the table. Maybe if the chicken was absolutely out of this world, the place would have three stars. However for the price I'm paying, I expect better. Good cheeses, ok dessert, though the little pre-dessert mignardises were very good.
The ambiance is a bit cold, not very attractive, but that's a question of taste.
In the end: I don't think that my dinner was worth the price, and I would not go again. Jowever my husband and my parents-in-law liked their dinner and would back. It really depends on your choice....

5  Thank Etschanz
Reviewed May 4, 2013

This is an excellent place for dinner. It's small, perhaps 30 seats, perhaps less. It does not, however, feel crowded, with the tables spaced so that you're not involved in someone else's conversation. The meals are outstanding! Best pigeon I've ever eaten. Salmon perfectly cooked. The cheese cart is fabulous! Wine selections are good and reasonably priced. If your plans include a visit to Beaune, be sure to make Le Benaton one of your dinner reservations.

6  Thank gdadtraveling