“Lovely place to stay”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Le Nautilus
Ranked #3 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was a lucky find and I'd definitely come back. We had room six which is two separate rooms with a shared bathroom. It was very quiet, spotlessly clean, the bed was comfy and there was adequate space to put everything. The curtains worked well as light-blockers, in fact we overslept but the kind owners weren't fussed - "you're on holiday" they said. I loved the breakfast, croissants,bread, real orange juice, and home made extras like brioche. Everyone is friendly and relaxed, they passed my personal tests of noticing I'd accidentally dropped the spare loo roll in the loo and replacing it!! and being ready and willing to notice an empty coffee cup at breakfast. Several times.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank fourviolets
There are newer reviews for Hotel Le Nautilus

Reviewed September 11, 2012

Immaculately clean, well-maintained and perfectly located within the walled city. Public transportation (bus station) for trips to surrounding villages and tourist harbour for boat excursions within walking distance. Bear in mind that the narrow historic houses do generally not dispose of ocean view, however this is more than compensated for by the particular charm of residing in the medieval style surroundings. My room was on the 5th floor with pitched roof and garret window, therefore not recommended for tall persons - I found it very cosy. 5 min taxi drive from railway station at < EUR 10. Charming and competent owners who go out of their way to give you advice on restaurants, excursions etc. The #1 rating in tripadvisor.com is well deserved. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 5, 2012

We arrived in St Malo without having planned where we would stay and we just stumbled across this hotel in the walled city. And I'm very glad we did. It was perfect for us! Inexpensive, clean, central, very very good service (it is run by the owners, unlike lots of places), terrific breakfast, and the owner gave us a great recommendation for a great local seafood restaurant, and even where to go next. I would more happily stay here than at a 5 star hotel, where you often don't get anything more than you do at Le Nautilus, especially when it comes to down to earth hospitality. We loved St Malo, also. It's a lovely place to stop for a day or two. We spent a week in a cabin near Cancale afterwards and loved that, too. Great beaches. You won't regret going to Brittany, it is a magic part of the world!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I traveled to St Malo via overnight Ferry from Portsmouth, England, with my adult daughter. We were able to walk with our luggage from the ferry to St Malo and found the hotel without much difficulty. The host was most accomodating, allowing us to leave our luggage safely in his care, as we arrived very early in the morning and our room was not available until late afternoon. Also, most appreciated, was the fact that due to the original Ferry reservation being canceled due to weather, we arrived a day late. We were not charged for the missed day as he was able to rent the room out to another guest. I felt bad because we'd called so late the night before we were supposed to arrive, but he was nice. He also went out of his way to help us reschedule the next portion of our trip as we were unable to pick up our car rental on a Sunday ( was supposed to arrive and pick up on Saturday).

St Malo was my favourite place in my whirlwind tour of Europe. It was warm and sunny in a very rainy June this year. The city was so beautiful and it was a taste of the standard I will hold France to forever. My plan was to take a day trip to Mont St Michel, however due to the missed day, I was unable to get there. I do not feel that I missed too much, though I'm sure I did, but only because St Malo is so beautiful and I'm glad we spent the day there.

The parking for the hotel, though I did not use it, was a very short walk, just outside of the walled city.

The hotel is clean and quiet. The price was great for my daughter and I on a budget. It is located on a very quiet corner in the city though I also know I was there on a Sunday as well as not at high season. You MUST reserve ahead of time if you want breakfast and because of our short stay, we did not have a chance to taste the wares. However, many, many wonderful bistros, restaurants, and food venues, that I was able to sample from instead.

I would definitely stay again and hope one day I will.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Shanz73
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We stayed for the second time at the beginning of August. We love St Malo and had a really enjoyable weekend. The hotel was clean and the owners were really helpful and breakfast (and particularly the homemade brioche) worth the visit.

I would absolutely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: We had an ordinary standard room - very basic - but the matresses are really comfortable.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed at the end of July - had a little problem finding the hotel(we arrived mid afternoon and didn`t have the full map) but eventually our hosts talked us through the maze of streets via the telephone so we could drop off our bags.We were then given instructions about parking and a reduced price car parking pass.The car park was just outside the city walls but very handy.The room was charming and spotless, the shower was a little tight but managable.The beds were comfortable and the English TV channels were a bonus.We had the in house breakfast which was typically continental but very good including excellent home made bread.Our hosts were wonderful supplying us with some excellent tips for restaurants,days out and all manner of advice.We would strongly recommend this hotel to anyone - tip - switch off the sat nav and get proper instructions/detailed map for the location.If the car parks look full use the ticket to get in and then wait for a spot to appear

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank gordon1951
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed at Le Nautilus mid July. It's in the centre of Saint-Malo, so you need to park your car in the public car park (about 5 minutes walk from the hotel) and then the hosts kindly sort out free car parking for you for the remainder of your stay. Le Nautilus is refreshingly upbeat in it's decor, spotlessly clean and the hosts just can't do enough for you, particularly in giving advice on where to visit, Loeck (I hope I've spelt it right Loeck) even gave us really good advice on where to visit on the next leg of our journey in Brittany. Bedroom was spotless as well. St Malo was a lovely place to stay and when we visit again we will definitely be going back to Le Nautilus. Le Nautilus is how a small hotel should be run.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple