“Convenient location”

Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Bournemouth
“Convenient location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2012

We stayed in this hotel during an overnight visit to St Malo. We found the location of this hotel to be very convenient as it was a short walk to the beach and less than ten minutes walk to the historic walled city. There was also free parking close to the hotel. We stayed in a large double room, I should point out that 'large' in this case means when compared to other rooms in this hotel. This was the description for booking purposes. The room was very clean bed was very comfortable and we had a peaceful nights sleep. The room had 2 chairs and a desk area however it did not have a wardrobe, there were coat hooks on the wall and some plastic hangers suspended on metal rods from the ceiling - I wasn't sure whether the purpose of these was decorative, functional or both! The bathroom was a very good size with a shower, toilet and wash basin. There was no shower enclosure so the floor and walls are fully tiled but we found the water did not drain away thoroughly leaving a wet floor and you needed to ensure that the towels were on the radiator so they don't get wet when the shower is in use. There was a good choice of breakfast foods including a tropical fruit salad, freshly cooked crepes, cereals, juice, yogurt, ham, cheese, toast, cake, mini croissants, pain au raisin and pain au chocolat.
St Malo is a great place to explore, we have visited this area a number of times, the Rance Estuary is beautiful, if you are staying a few days you can get the ferry over to Dinard or go up the river Rance to Dinan. Within the walls of St Malo you will find restaurants and shops, you can walk along the ramparts and enjoy looking out to sea. While in St Malo you should ensure that you eat in a Creperie and sample the savoury galettes (buckwheat pancakes), a sweet crepe to follow all washed down with local Breton cider which you drink from pottery cups.
If you are staying for 1 or 2 nights this hotel could be a good choice, if you plan to stay in St Malo for longer or like to unpack your cases then it may not be the best choice for you.

Room Tip: It is probably best to book a 'large' double room if one is available and it is within your...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DmJay

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Isle of Man, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 4, 2012

Since my last review we have stayed here half a dozen times. A gentle 10 minute stroll from the old city along the quayside builds up the appetite. Probably most of the negative comments about distance from the centre may have been made by persons with a sedantary lifestyle, but to us it presented no problem. The rooms are not huge but are always clean and fresh. The breakfast menu thankfully does not include 'full english' but there is plenty to choose from. Sadly since the Euro/Sterling exchange rate took a tumble it is no longer a cheap option, but neither is most of Europe and when compared to similar priced hotel experiences in the UK the Aubade is streets ahead.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2011

I second some of the points made by "IhateNJ" about some of the shortcomings of this hotel (wireless problems, distance to city center, breakfast). The rooms are not very large, nor are the bathrooms, but I found them to be well appointed and clean. The staff was quite friendly, though, and eager to help even though I had to meet them more than halfway with my very bad French! I enjoyed staying here and felt that it was a good choice, especially in comparison with the other, more expensive offerings in town. I came to enjoy the walk along the seafront (or along the more industrial harborfront) to get to the walled city, and we found a nice little cafe in the Parame area that welcomed us for a slightly more substantial and slightly less expensive breakfast. Keep in mind that in the area where the hotel is located there are a few restaurants, although not a wide selection, and they are not open as late as the ones in the city center. We stayed here with another couple and I think we were all quite satisfied and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2011

I stayed here in September. This was the worst hotel experience that I have ever had. I booked this hotel through booking.com and the Hotel Aubade charged me a no show fee even when I showed up late... a little unfair--not in hotel policy and of course I was not informed of this until I got home and saw it on my credit card.

My assessment:
Very far from the city center
Front desk has limited hours.. at night you have a passcode to get in the door--otherwise you'll see everyone in the morning
Rooms are so tiny--no closets, you hang your clothes on hangers and you trip over your bag which you cannot unpack since there is no place to put your clothes
There is a small safe--useless..it is not even anchored to anything...you can just pick it up and put it in a large pocketbook and go
I think breakfast was 13 Euros--far too expensive for nothing
Limited toiletries...I know I should bring my own
Staff is mostly french speaking--but we are in France..thats not too much of a con..it may just be hard for people who do not speak too much french
Rooms are dark
No TV really..just French channels but then again you're in France--that's okay too
Internet access expires daily--you have to get a new password everyday
when I realized that I double booked and emailed them--they never responded back to me
They charge a no show fee even when you show up

But please also realize...
it would be OK to stay here if you just needed to close your eyes for a night
The supermarket is within walking distance
You can walk to the train station in 15 minutes

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank IhateNJ
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

Nice clean hotel and a nice welcome from reception. Only stayed on night as a stop over in St Malo after being in Paris for a few days.

The room was a good size for 3 of us, but no air conditioning and it was very hot in France so this was uncomfortable. Had to sleep with the windows wide open to get some air and it was very noisy outside with traffic and some loud banging from the port very early the next morning.
Not the hotels fault but a baby started crying about 4am, so that also kept us awake for a while.
Didn't have breakfast walked the short distance into the old town of St Malo and grabbed a pastry and coffee. Had a drink at the hotel later when we went back for our bags which was reasonably priced.
Overall a nice little hotel decorated nicely, if you were staying longer than 1 or 2 nights not enough hanging space as no wardrobe in our room. But really felt it was overpriced for what it was. Also when booking online, it was quoted as €140, but then charged €161 on day.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2011

Room is tiny. It'sok if you stay 1 or 2 highs max, as there is no wardrobe.
Clean and modern, but very basic, maybe a bit pricy (98 eur) for what and where it is - quite a walk from the old town).
Staff barely speaks English, but quite nice and willing to help.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2010

Location was ok, in the middle between the centre and the train station. Staff basically doesn't speak english, only 1 of them. Room was a bit small and had the weirdest wardrobe I've ever seen-or more haven't seen, since it actually wasn't a wardrobe but just a few big plastic hangers hanging down from the ceiling... We stayed there for 2 nights. The breakfast was supposed to be till 10.30. When we got there at 10.00, there was no more breakfast anymore. The receptionist asked us if we would like some, so we said yes. 15 euros for couple slices of toast, some ham, butter and jam and a coffee...
when I was booking the hotel, I had to submit my card details (which is normal). We also payed for the whole stay when we were leaving and of course they charged us twice. My only luck was, that I had french speaking colleague who helped me to sort it out and actually they told her, that it already happened a few times before...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple