“A really lovely and quiet place to stay”
Review of Villa Athanaze

Villa Athanaze
Ranked #12 of 52 Saint-Malo B&B and Inns
Guernsey, United Kingdom
“A really lovely and quiet place to stay”
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Very clean tidy and welcoming place to stay in a quiet residential area 10 mins walk to the Solidor. Manageable walk to the walls of St Malo but good restaurants in St Servan so really no need to go St Malo for dinner. Excellent help from English and French owner - even managed to get some shopping done at the Madaleine before going back on boat home. Would recommend it for couples not for families though. Lovely large rooms and showers very clean. The most comfortable bed I have ever slept in on holiday (even with my snoring partner!!)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

Gill's b+b is superb, she is the most welcoming, friendly and helpful hostess imaginable. The rooms are vast, with high ceilings and impeccably decorated. An additional bonus for all the tea lovers – there is a kettle etc. in the rooms! Breakfast is plentiful, with warm croissants, local yogurt and fresh bread all served by Gill who manages to miraculously appear everywhere when needed! I cannot recommend Villa Athanaze strongly enough.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed September 12, 2013

Lovely cool interiors in a classic old building, nice breakfast, cool outside space, very peaceful plus very helpful hosts Gill and Christophe. Felt very at home and keen to go back and follow their tips on St Malo, which was also a surprise. A 15 min stroll to good restaurants and a 5 min drive to the ferry. Our room was really big and spacious, plus we a small room off it for our two small children and they were able to run around happily.

Room Tip: Top floor worth the walk up as it's really quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank EFCLondon
Manassas, Virginia
Reviewed August 3, 2013

For travelers who love a bit of eclectic," artsy panache", a most lovely stay awaits you at Villa Athanaze. Our hosts, Gillian and Christophe were very hospitable, the room spacious by European standards, high ceilings, beautiful wide plank hardwood floors, a comfortable queen size bed with large recently renovated en suite bathroom and an awesome hot steamy shower. We had a choice of breakfast served at a quaint table for two or with other guests at a vintage farm table. Love, love , this B&B!! Gillian and Chris are amazing innkeepers that deliver 1st class service. The homespun warmth and all together "cool" of Villa Athanaze will make your trip to the region memorable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Celeste W
London
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Villa Athanaze located in a nice and quiet suburb that is 15 min walk from St Malo old town. The house itself was spcious and airy with a huge backyard. Our room with a king sized bed was on the top floor overlooking the garden. There was still plenty of room for our baby to move around with the cot placed in the room. There were plenty of shops, cafes and supermarket nearby. It was really good value considering how much more expensive and smaller some of the accommodations offered in St Malo when we did our reserach. Plenty of off-street parking nearby. Hostess was lovely, chilled and her home-made jam was wonderful! We did wish there were a microwave so we could heat up baby food but we ate out most days it wasn't really an issue.

Room Tip: All the guestrooms are on the top floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 4, 2012

had a lovely, relaxing 4 days at this hotel. BEAUTIFUL house, spotless rooms with lots of light from big windows., tastefully decorated throughout. Delicious breakfasts, lovely owner Gill was cheerful, helpful and made us feel at home. Saint Malo is lovely and has some cute shops and restaurants closeby. Peacefull surroundings away from the hustle bustle of city life.Pefect place to recharge your batteries. I intend to return againk the sooner the better and would certainly recommend it to friends and family.

Room Tip: room at the back of the house overlooks lovely garden which is also lovely to sit out in at the end...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank lexingtone a
Keith
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had booked a room in this B&B by phone; but when we arrived, we were not expected - the proprietress had "forgotten" to write our booking in her diary. To make it worse, she had subsequently booked it out to another couple, who had failed to turn up - so that was the only reason we got the room after all! She muttered about having to go out to the shop now - made me feel rather as if we were putting her out.

Then when we came to pay in the morning, she couldn't decide whether to charge us 90 euros or 110... something to do with the number of sheets she needed to wash,,,

Then she couldn't take payment by card - only by cheque or cash - honestly, who uses cheques any more? Well, I only had 90 euros on me in cash, so that's all she got.

Having said that, the house & room were lovely, and the breakfast delicious.

Room Tip: Lovely place, but administration hopeless - so double check booking, price etc.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank BookbugKeith
Chambres d'Hôte... V, Owner at Villa Athanaze, responded to this review, September 8, 2012
Dear BookbugKeith
I have just read your review on tripadvisor and I am very sorry that you feel that way, so I just wanted to reach out and maybe clarify a few points:

On the evening you arrived, I was not expecting any guests at all. I had spoken with your father by phone a couple of weeks previously. I remember his enquiry very well as your father has quite a distinctive voice and British people enquiring seem to stick in my mind. He requested a double room with twin beds. I informed him that I didn’t have a double room with twin beds and he replied, "oh, well that won’t do" and we left it at that.
I didn’t mention this to you when you arrived, as I didn’t want to confuse things by getting into a debate and seem rude to your father. I often receive phone enquiries and a lot of travellers, once they have made a reservation with me will then ask which hotel or B&B we are as they are making so many different phone enquiries when trying to find accommodation. However, once the guest has actually requested a room, I then take all of their details and I email the details back to the guest as a confirmation that I have their reservation and the correct details.

Your father did not receive my confirmation email for his reservation because he did not request a room with me. On the evening you arrived, I had no reservations for any of my rooms. Three of my rooms were stripped and obviously not prepared and the family room you stayed in was only available because guests supposed to arrive on the Monday didn’t show and I had a family of guests arriving the following day.

As far as pricing is concerned, this is not something I make up in my head on the spur of the moment and you will see the prices I gave you listed on our website. Prices are based on various factors one of which is the laundry service. Your occupancy was that of three people not two which would be 110 euros and not 90 euros.

So in conclusion, I sincerely apologise if you felt as though you were “putting me out”, that was not my intention at all. I was merely just caught off guard and then frantically thinking through what I needed to do to accommodate you.

Kind regards,