“Trying but not quite there.”

Le Grand Hotel des Thermes Marins de St-Malo
Ranked #11 of 82 Hotels in Saint-Malo
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The location of this hotel cannot be faulted. We stayed in a suite in the newer wing which has rooms that feature contemporary furnishings and decor. Because we booked very last minute our corner suite had no balcony which is disappointing. I also would like to see an iPod dock for listening to music. We were fortunate to have two bathrooms and a separate toilet room which for three meant our daughter could have her own bath which for a teenager is important. The bathroom has a few problems, no conditioner among the toiletries and a wall mounted hair dryer which is difficult with long hair.

The staff in this hotel are either good or bad, no in between! The porter is amazing! Helpful, experienced and friendly! The staff at reception border on rude or just extremely unmotivated. When I went to check in, a younger French girl was extremely put out to have to speak English with me. Then my husband came and spoke to her in French which thawed her somewhat but not much.

We asked if they could make a dinner reservation for us at a place in St. Malo, popular where in Tripadvisor, told a time of 9:15, then called 30 minutes before to be told that the restaurant was not available. Hmmm, why say a time at all then? We ended up at the hotels restaurant, (another story).

On check out, we had an extremely nice young man to help us. Friendly, professional, motivated and happy to switch back and forth from French with my husband to English to me with no problem. While my husband sorted the bill, I noticed that they had a service for posting letters or cards. Our daughter had two postcards to send to friends in the US. I asked the other reception person (same unfriendly young woman as on check in). If I could purchase stamps for two postcards to US. Oh no we don't have stamps for the US, she said and started to walk away.....
What?? So just tell me how much it is for France and let us do a little simple math and add it up for international post! Not rocket science! I was just explaining this concept to her when the helpful young man working with my husband saw the issue and suggested the very same thing to her. Basically, she had NO interested in helping me or solving the very minor problem. There was much Gallic rolling of eyes and shrugging amusing if it wasn't so ridiculous. The stay was once again salvaged by the two male employees at the front,as we had a fantastic farewell and instructions from the porter for our next destination. Maybe they should sack the female employees.......which as a woman myself takes quite a lot to say......

Room Tip: I would not stay here without a sea view, which in my opinion is why you go here! Also would ask f...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank marlena m

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This beautiful hotel is right on the English Channel with beaches and the ocean walk just in front. The room was a bit small but comfortable. The restaurant was good but on the pricey side. We did not use the spa facilities but noted that the fees were on the high side. This hotel definitely caters to the well healed. The breakfast was excellent. It's about a 1.3 mile walk along the ocean to the old town of St. Malo where there are many shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jerry B
Reviewed December 7, 2012

I stayed at Les Grand Hotel des Thermes Marins de St-Malo this last November, all I can say is that it was lovely! amazing property, very good staff and the best location in town just in front of the beach with amazing views from the Bar, Restaurant and rooms and very elegant. If anyone wants to spend a couple of days in St-Malo this is the perfect place to be.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Carlos S
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Have paid over £600 for 4 days we arrived expecting a luxury room as per photos in advert Our room was no more then a broom cupboard . When we wanted to use the pool as advertised we were told it cost 19 € each per day !! The gym was no bigger then a normal kitchen and there was a queue to use the apperatus !! The restaurants were very expensive and on a whole the cost of the trip we could gave had a week all enclusive in the Sensortori hotel in Tenerife . Ok if you want to detox but feel we were conned . It was just like a Care home with residents walking around all day in bathrobes . Wished we had gone to the 2 star along the road . No way this should have cost what it did and haven't a clue how it got the 5 stars

• Stayed: September 2012
8  Thank Rkeeble
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Stayed on a three day package including dinner and breakfast as well as four tharassotherapy sessions. The room faced the town and there was no view of the sea, but it was all right as I knew the room included in this package belonged to this category. It was clean and functional. I liked dinner at the restaurant La Verriere. There were lot of choices and the food was good. The staff was pleased to help me decide what to take. Tharassotherapy was good as well. While it was my first experience, the staff was welcoming and their instructions were clear, so I soon felt at home. The package was value for money. I'd like to come back, prefarably in summer when the weather is better!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank LaLa430
Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

Superb view, five stars service , A class hotel, it is the most complete hotel , it has a a beach view, a village view at the back and a mountain atmosfer.
For the rooms itself, nice comfy beds, a balcony for each rooms, complete amenities,friendly staff, nice restaurant.. Final word is highly recomended

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank wonderbb
Reviewed July 19, 2012

We recently stayed at the Thermes Marins for the third time. Again, we had a wonderful weekend with a beautiful room overlooking the sea.
The multi-lingual staff were very welcoming and always on hand. We had a delicious meal at Le Cap Horn restaurant ... and the deserts, WOW!
The icing on the cake : The Aquatonic pool... Sooooo relaxing!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple