“Excellent seafood”

Le Cafe de Saint Malo
Ranked #245 of 377 Restaurants in Saint-Malo
Cuisines: French, Seafood, European, Soups
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
England
“Excellent seafood”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

It must be twenty years since I'd holidayed in France with my parents but being in Jersey for the weekend I took the ferry over to St Malo for a day trip.

I chose Le Cafe due Saint Malo primarily because after a walk around looking at menu's this seemed to have the best choice of seafood platters. The waiting staff were pleasant and friendly, helping out a poor English traveller whose French wasn't quite as good as he imagined.

I had the Plateau Frigate which was cold prawns, langoustine, crab and snails (along with another crustacean of some description - language barrier again) and it was delicious. It was obviously fresh and beautifully presented. The Creme Brulee for desert was huge too.

There's always the fear that a restaurant with such a prominent will be nothing more than a tourist trap but nothing could be further from the truth in my experience.

And although my platter was around €35 there were plenty of cheaper options including some good value set menu's.

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
“Good variety and reasonable for the main drag of St Malo”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

Have just returned from a weekend in St Malo. Chose this restaurant for the varied menu as there was 14 of us so choice was important. Fortunately they were able to fit us in. Drinks order taken quickly but we did have chase them to take our food order. However, we were a large group and it was a busy Saturday night in a popular tourist city.
Good choice of meat and seafood dishes as well as pizzas. Set meals range from €15 to €25 which include starter, main course and desert and represent extremely good value. The menu is biased towards traditional French food which is no bad thing. Choices include local Cancale oysters, fish soup, tripe, veal kidneys and various cuts of steak.
Although my menu included a desert I am not a great lover of deserts. After asking the waitress if it was possible to have cheese instead I was greeted with a smile and told "Pas de probleme"
Found staff to be friendly, helpful and knowledgeable about the dishes available and their contents. Overall an excellent dinner for a reasonable price in a wonderful location.

Mortain, France
“AVOID, AVOID, AVOID”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

I am a fluent french speaker, so no language problems. The waiting staff were all young with no experience, no senior staff to speak to. Ordered 3 pizzas and a spag bol. 50 minutes later, two pizzas arived, another 10 minutes the third, after another 20 minute wait, 1 hour 20 after ordering and two trips inside to enquire how much longer for the 4th dish, both times told it is coming now, it finally arrived. the pizzas had been eaten by now. My family were visting me from Australia and did not want me to make a fuss. Oh boy was I angry and frustrated. To top it all the ladies toilets were blocked with sewage overflowing onto the floor. All in the month of July when all of France is on holiday! Seems like the proprietor and his regular staff were too. I take visitors to St Malo several times each year but never used this dump before, never again.

Mirfield, United Kingdom
“Hellish Attitude....”
Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

6 of us were visiting Saint Malo&staying one night before going to Caen.We booked a table at Le Cafe de Saint Malo for 7.30pm.Upon our arrival it was obvious that the table hadn't really been booked as we were looked on with utter disdain when we said we had a table booked,this was by a smartly dressed man in a grey suit who seemed to be the owner.We were shown a table in the terrace area directly opposite the open door,through which the wind was blowing quite strongly.
Our friendly attitude cut no ice with the waitress who quite obviously found us a chore to have to deal with.Yes we are English,but do try to converse as best we can,albeit in school lesson French.The menu was obviously in French and we understood most of it,but any polite questions were met with "I do not understand English".Even ordering our drinks was met with sighing and raising of eyebrows.Bearing in mind it is a seafood restaurant,we had been particularly looking forward to ordering Mussels.But our request for mussels was met with a triumphant "Non- no mussels!!!!"Had we not ordered and received our wine&drinks etc we would have given up at that point and left but we decided to press on and order alternatives.
When food was delivered it was with a very annoyed air,pushing the plates at us,as if we were just a nuisance,not paying customers.When a young man with a nasty attitude brought some wine,he stood at one end of the table and just said "Wine"and held the glass until the person reached over the table to take it from him.Ridiculous.
But....despite the appalling and rude service the food was good.The starters of seafood and fish pate were lovely,the fillet steak that all of us had was very good(although presentation was lousy )By the time we were ordering desserts we had a different waitress who was polite and very efficient,and our desserts were all more than adequate.
That said,if I find myself in Saint Malo again(a possibility as we go to Le Mans every year for the 24hour Race)I wouldn't darken the Le Cafe de Saint Malo doorstep?I don't appreciate being treated with such disdain by people who should appreciate that tourists,even English ones,help pay their wages.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Griff1303
Central Coast, NSW, Australia
“Ahhh the Whelks!”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Ahhhh this is where I discovered the wonder of whelks, which we don't have in Australia.

The string of cafes specialising in seafood can appear quite daunting when you get to St Malo. We chose this on a busy June 2012 afternoon. We shared a massive seafood platter so we didn't test out there cooking skills. The platter certainly impressed and was exactly what we bargained for. It's just as expensive as the rest along this strip, which means it isn't cheap. The quality of the seafood was first class, and the service was very good. I didn't think the wine was too 'over the top' pricewise.

I would eat here again and recommend it highly.

• Visited June 2014