“Best Avoided”

Ranked #42 of 389 Restaurants in Saint-Malo
Cuisines: French, Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Reviewed December 31, 2012

The service was dreadful because the staff were more concerned with their own amusement than the customers.

The decor is loud and the dreadful heaters and lighting make for an uncomfortable meal.

The food, actually wasn't bad but , call me old fashioned, I like service to match especially at the prices.

I know there are better places to eat in St Malo - just don't go on a Wednesday when almost every one is closed and boy don't the Cafe de LOuest take advantage

3  Thank Joan B

Reviewed December 22, 2012

After a delayed journey we arrived looking forward to a relaxing and unwinding meal. We were disappointed.

The decor is, to put it mildly, garish, and was made worse by flashing Christmas lights. The table to which we were shown was under a heater and a very very glaring light. We had not even taken our coats off (no cloakroom so have to be draped over seat backs) and got seated when a waiter asked us in English what we wanted to drink.

We asked (in French) for a moment to sort ourselves and consider. The waiter huffed and disappeared. It quickly became obvious that my wife could not remain at that table because of the laser light effect so we had to attract the waiter's attention and ask to be moved. This was done with poor grace and more huffing followed by elaborate show of correcting the setting of the table we had just vacated.

He eventually came to take our oder for drinks which then sat on the bar for several minutes while our waiter engaged in banter with other staff. By this time we had been in the restaurant for some 40 minutes.

We ordered our food - a small seafood platter for my wife and fish soup followed by medallions of lotte for me. Wine was also ordered.

The wine arrived first and was dumped in front of me, no offer to taste. I noticed that local customers were asked to taste their wine and thoughout the meal their glasses were topped up.

The food took a futher length of time to arrive. The platter came with cuiously blue coloured ice and nothing in which to place disgarded shells. It was very fresh but the whelks and winkles were tiny.

My fish soup was tasty though, being used to Marseilles fish soup, I found it rather bland. The lotte was fine though the layer of rice upon which it sat was not especially appealing.

We then sat and sat waiting for plates to be cleared and a dessert menu produced. By this time the staff were all playing the fool amongst themselves or paying attention to a table of 9 men who had arrived. The waiters were either ill -trained or ill-disciplined. They simply did not keep an eye on all their customers. Eventually we gave up and asked for the bill and even that took an age to arrive.

No-one said goodbye, thank you or showed us out.

Had we been grumpy, rude or not spoken a word of French I suppose the staffs' attitude might have just about been explicable but the service here on this particular night was simply unacceptable by any standard.

1  Thank Adam B
Reviewed December 2, 2012

After a heavy night out I was delighted to see that this café did an English breakfast menu of bacon and eggs with toast and coffee. Beautifully located right in front of the town hall and museum. Friendly staff and good service.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

As part of the cruise we had the 25 euro lunch plus an aperitif and coffee , excellent . Food and friendly service was superb , with the heavy rain outside we were warm and cosy under the canopy and could have stayed all afternoon .

1  Thank royalmailman
Reviewed November 8, 2012

St Malo is a charming old walled city in Brittany,on the Northern coast of France. There's very many place to eat here, and I think we picked a good one. It appeared that a specialty of the restaurant was large buckets of mussells in a garlic wine sauce, accompanied by a large plate of frites (French fries), so we tried it. Good choice..........a little messy and labor intensive (tip-use a half shell as a utensil to scoop out the others), but well worth it. Nice wine selection and great service.Apparently the myth about French waiters being surly and rude to Americans is not true these days. The restaurant is centrally located with outdoor dining that provides some interesting people watching.

1  Thank Kevel