“Central location, smart area”
Review of Hotel de la Rade

Hotel de la Rade
Hotel de la Rade
Ranked #30 of 36 Hotels in Brest
Reviewed June 15, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights. When we were there, the tram lines were being completed across the bridge, the area in front of the hotel was full of outdoor eating areas with tent like frontages. The hotel was chosen for location and was well placed to see the city on foot. Rooms were clean and my single was quite well sized. Only problem was motorcycle parking was a few hundred meters away and cars would have had to use street parking, bearing in mind the charges. Staff were very helpful at letting us know where the best place was for parking though.

Room Tip: Top rooms give a good view across the tram area and reduce the noise from the eating areas.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed August 25, 2013

We stayed in the Hotel de la Rade for one night during our trip along the coast of Brittany. This hotel was not expensive and therefore, we were positively surprised by the nice room with the lovely view on the naval harbour and the the imposing bridge de la Rade! Breakfast was also nice! But the best about the hotel is its location in the heart of Brest in within walking distance to all the museums, the shops and the lovely restaurants in the area! As we had to leave and didn't know where to post our postcards, the hotel manager offered to send them for us - and they arrived!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We booked this hotel from the good Trip Advisor reviews and it deserves them.

It's in a great location - right in the middle of Brest. Our rooms were clean, bright and just nicer overall than most equivalent (2 star) hotels we've stayed in. The range of choice at breakfast was small, but that's more a cultural thing - pretty standard in France from what I've seen. The price was good and the staff were super helpful. At breakfast, the gentleman at reception warned us that the parking warden was out issuing tickets. When we mentioned that we had a disabled parking card, I could see he was uneasy. So out he goes to talk to the warden, to make sure all is well - turns out the warden wasn't happy with our card but agreed not to give us a parking ticket. Really great service & lovely people.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I just stayed in the Hotel de la Rade for 4 nights. The staff is extremelly friendly and helpful and the hotel is very well located. I asked for a single room and I got the smallest hotel room that I ever encountered, I have seen bigger walking closets. But I have to say that in the hotel, there were bigger rooms. My room always had a faint smell of sewage, and the wifi was always breaking down. The breakfast was also below the French standards, average bread, croissant and coffee... all in all in spite of the welcoming staff, I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My wife and I were booked into the Hotel de la Rade (via email and telephone) by our French daughter-in-law (who is originally from Brest) but now lives here in England with my son and grandson - we all wanted to visit the 'festival' (which is only held every 4 years) - so, preperations were made months before our visit (10/07/12 - 14/07/12) - perhaps as well, as all the hotels in Brest were booking-up quickly.
My 4 stars for the hotel do not compare with the 'actual 2 stars' that the hotel holds - my 'extra' stars are for the excellent, convenient (shopping) location within the town and also with regards to the 'festival' in the harbour (200 metres away).
Hotel Positives: - Location (as above), Breakfast - good quality continental with coffee/tea/juice, 7.50 euros all you can eat, Daily maid service - towels and sheets changed daily - Comfy beds and pillows - Lift to all floors - 24 hour front desk - free Wi-Fi. - Some staff/owner speaks English.
Hotel Negatives: - Small room (we stayed 7 nights and struggled with limited wardrobe space - no drawers, so used our suitcases on the spare single bed) - large mirror on the wall 'cracked' (sharp edges) - 3 out of 4 lights in the room were not working - extractor fan in the 'bathroom' not working - the shower cubicle was a bit grubby - not dirty - (grouting around the 'base' needs replacing).
Conclusion:- for a 2 star hotel, the Hotel de la Rade is adequate on all counts.

Room Tip: Rooms at the front are noisier - overlooking the 'main' street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Colin19654
Reviewed April 22, 2008

This medium sized hotel is run by a friendly couple who speak quite good English, and is at the far end - near the harbour - of a central street in Brest.

The rooms are small, and have no fridge or tea-making facilities, but ours was clean and attractive. Parking outside the hotel was easy, but you need to be up in time to buy a ticket each day (about 4 Euro).

We thought the hotel good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TOB_HH
Reviewed August 13, 2007

2*, 54 Euros for one person during the week, 47 Euros on weekends, breakfast another 7E, better than most French hotel breakfasts—includes ham (if you get there early), hard-boiled eggs, yogurt, apple sauce, fruit cocktail, fresh croissants and chocolate croissants in addition to the usual bread, juice, cereal and coffee/tea/chocolate. This is the best two star I’ve stayed in. It has been recently been thoroughly renovated so all the rooms are bright and cheery, the elevator is new and roomy, and the staff is exceptionally friendly. Rooms have either a view of the Darden River and shipworks or the street and row of restaurants below. My room also had a small balcony I could step out onto. The bathrooms are a bit tight and missing things like soap dishes, but all works well. It’s about a 6 Euro cab ride from the train station or a 15-20 minute walk. It is really perfectly located for the traveler. There is a laundromat right across the street, as well as a bar that has good free wi-fi with electrical outlets (just buy a beer or something) for as long as you want. The hotel has wi-fi in the rooms but it was not functioning while I was there (and lots of folks, including wi-fi repair people) are on vacation in France in August. The row of restaurants is the gathering place for the city—outside eating and drinking, a variety of foods and extremely convenient for this hotel which sits in the middle of them. Hotel windows are double paneled so no outside noise. This one is a keeper!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank bacchusman4