“Nice hotel, good room, surly waiters.”

Novotel Clermont Ferrand
Ranked #6 of 60 Hotels in Clermont-Ferrand
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 3, 2012

Hotel was a great place to break the journey south. First impressions were good, receptionist charming efficient and spoke enough English. Superior room worth every euro, very beige. Big comfortable bed plus sofa bed great for two would have been very snug for more. Bathroom wonderful, fantastic walkin shower. Nespresso machine a nice touch. Minibar with usual offerings but space to perch a few of your own bits. Room was quiet.
Arrived hot and tired so went to look at the pool, very small and heaving so decided to just sit outside and have a drink, this is where things went downhill, the waiter refused to serve drinks, said we could get it ourselves from the bar, and we couldnt drink them at the table we were sat at unless we ordered food, he pointed at a very dirty table loaded with dirty glasses and ashtrays and said we could sit there! This was about 5.40pm we had been sitting for at least 15 minutes and no one had made any effort to clear that table, of those many that were laid for eating, including the one we were sat at only two had anyone who appeared to be about to eat.
Skipped the drinks read for a bit.
Later went for dinner, food expensive, quantities incredibly mean but quality good. Waiting staff again less than charming.
Buffet breakfast was good, lots of choice so possible to have a good meal, only criticism is the egg boiler didn't have enough water in so only half the egg gets cooked, have to turn it after few minutes, only found this out after a first attempt.
Checkout efficient with plenty of receptionists available, this is a busy hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MsZ

Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel suited us perfectly and broke up the north to south of France journey. Room was clean, with very comfortable bed matress. We did not take any meals at the hotel, but did have a drink in the nice hotel bar. Wifi and pool on site - no parking problems. Friendly service and English spoken. Paid about £80 in August for a one night stay...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 26, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for a break on our trip up from the south coast to Paris. After a long and slow drive, it was a welcome oasis. Just off the motorway, it's clean, friendly and - at least for us - great value. Decent restaurant, comfy beds, friendly service. What more do you need?

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We were going to spain and we stay There for 1 night.
Nice lobby?small pool.
They have 1 restaurant .
It is next to THE airport and highway,à lot of Dutch people.
Will recommend it for 1 night.
THE breakfirst is very good, free for kids

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This hotel is located in industrial zone...not so nice.

The staff is not so friendly. We asked if there were restaurants in the nearby Orcival village, and we've been told "don't know...", well yes there were really nice restaurants in Orcival, but they were not pleased we didn't eat at Novotel.

We've been offer a bottle of red wins from Auvergne region, and as we were surprised that Auvergne was producing wine, we've been told "we are not only dumps here".

The room didn't meet our expectation. If this is a 4 star... We had a family room. Obviously, this room was not decorated to be a family room at first. They have moved the master bed on the side to add 2 small beds...but the frames on the wall were not center anymore... Just details that make me say it is not was I was expecting. Honestly, if this is Novotel standard in France, then I will consider another hotel chain.

Thank you for asking about my opinion.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank khalfan65
Reviewed August 16, 2012

En route to our holiday destination we always stay here for a night. It has always been a comfortable place to stay and we weren't disappointed this year. Arrived later than usual so no swim this time which we always enjoy. Dinner in the hotel restaurant after a drink in the very pleasant bar. Lovely staff in all areas of the hotel. Dinner has got better here each year and the choices and quality have improved. The restaurant is always very busy and the staff do a great job under pressure. Wine choice is good and our food was enjoyable. Never do breakfast as we would rather get some miles done fans stop for a take away coffee on the road.
Worth taking the Accor loyalty card if you use any of these hotels, as you can cash in the points for vouchers to use in part payment for your food or stay.
Bathroom had been updated this year and had a walk in shower which we much preferred. It's a great stop for us each year and we will continue to use this hotel.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank destinyschild
Reviewed August 14, 2012

This hotel is a typical Novotel in an Industrial area of Clermont Ferrand, it is modern inside, has a small pool and quite pleasant.

I managed to get a deal on a superior room for £55.00; bonus I hear you say. The room was really nice and new, it was a good size and we had more than enough room for the 3 of us. The room had an entertainment suite so you had the ability to watch films on the TV through a laptop providing you had the right cables. You could also charge your iPod and/or iPhone though this suite. The room also had a separate toilet and bathroom and a mini bar was included in the room (not in the price I hasten to add!!). On the whole the room was nice; I wouldn’t however pay the price at the hotel for this room which was about 200.00 Euros. Prep and do a bit of planning on the internet before your stay in order to get the best deal possible.

Now for the not so good points: As I have mentioned above I got a reasonable deal on the room for £55.00 and I wouldn't give anyone a hard time for taking that opportunity.
The food and drink bill came to over double the amount I paid for the room! Ahh, now you're looking at me as If I need to go and see the doctor for some food abstinence therapy; let me dissect my food and drink bill, £114.00 WHAAAAAAATT!! My heart sank and a hypothetical orange sumo guy ran out from nowhere with big floppy hands and "tangoed" me. I handed over my credit card to Bonnie and Clyde err um errr, I mean the receptionist and walked away like a told off school boy.
So for £114.00 or US $178.00 or Aus $170.00 or 139.00 Euros we had breakfast, a two course dinner for 2, a child who only had only one course and water. We had some drinks and when I say drinks, I mean a large beer, 2 glasses of wine, an orangina and a pot of tea (not all at the same time). So make your own mind up if you think it is value for money. Another option is; you might want to get in the car and go to a restaurant close by.

The only other niggle and I am being petty here, but money is money. We arrived at 1520hrs and still had to wait for our room to be made up; not happy after an 8 hour drive. So if you paid 200 Euros the room at the hotel asking price then 139 Euros for food you might be a bit miffed at being keep waiting for your room. They would have no problem at turfing you out if you overstayed the checkout time. Last one: Paper cups in a superior room for tea and coffee, cheap skates.

In Summary: So I’ve had my whinge and I understand sometimes things just don’t go to plan; that’s life as they say, and once you find one thing to pick them up for then it’s “good night Vienna”. The hotel wrote me an email apologising for the lateness of the room check in and offered an upgrade on our next visit which was good damage control. Would I stay again? Yes it is a nice hotel, the staff are friendly and the room was really nice. Just be aware of the hefty price tag attached to the food and drink, get in the car and go somewhere that you will get better food at a much cheaper price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family