“good position but very hot rooms with flimsy curtains”

Grand Hotel de La Poste
Ranked #12 of 28 Hotels in Saint-Jean-de-Luz
Reviewed September 2, 2013

our room was clean and smallish but adequate except that the lack of air conditioning made it that we had to open the window which then made it that we could hear all the street noise. that coupled with the fact that the curtains are white with no backing material so all the street lighting as well of course as the sun in the morning made for a very poor night sleep, and we were up with the sun and the town rubbish collection truck. we only stayed the one night obviously.
expensive room for the lack of good night sleep.
very pretty but very touristic little town well worth the detour

Room Tip: ask for a room away from street lighting and if it exist with air conditionning
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Claire C

Reviewed May 21, 2013

We stayed 5 nights here and were delighted with our room and the staff.
Our room was well fitted, clean and bright with a sparkling bathroom with a roomy shower.
The staff were helpful and friendly and breakfast offered a wide range of fresh food.
The hotel is centrally placed but peaceful and calm.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Annie crowle R
Reviewed October 2, 2011

It all depends on your perspective..... Now, personally, I like old furniture and a bit of quirk and character, so I was happy with the admittedly-not-so-Grand Hotel de la Poste. Room was large and clean, breakfasts were good, car park directly beside hotel, pedestrian area of St Jean de Luz started just 50 metres down the street, and the fabulous markets (with the excellent Cafe des Halles) were a couple of hundred yards away. The hotel reception staff were great, and gave us excellent advice on restaurants and tours. There is a comfortable lounge with newspapers and magazines just off the lobby, an excellent spot for members of our small group to meet up and relax.

Room Tip: No lift, so ask for 1st floor if stairs are a problem.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank Balisand
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I have been deliberating whether to give this one or two stars and have settled on two!

This is because the location was very good!

The room itself was just about average. Large enough for the four of us - we have two children - aged four and two. Very old furniture, mould in the bathroom, no curtains at the window. Extremely hot at night and very noisy. The wallpaper in the corridors is peeling off.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel, preferring to go out. There is no bar although the lounge downstairs is quite nice.

Not really much more I can say about the place really. It didn't spoil our experience of St Jean de Luz but I wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank michelehughes
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Stayed here in 2009 , so they may have decorated. It's a fantastically characterful building , the entrance hall and breakfast room are grander than the accommodation on offer. It is basic - carpet a bit tired .... didn't want to stand on it in bare feet. It's a place to sleep - in a clean , but ageing bed. 3 nights were sufficient. Convenient for town and parking. I loved breakfast , it was the best thing about the place. Staff , very lovely. I don't mind old and shabby , so it didn't upset me too much . It just needs a huge , major , makeover.

Room Tip: no idea !!
  • Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bibs28
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Bedroom was OK but noise from street cleaners and other services early in the morning was disturbing. Said to have impeccable bathrooms. Not so. We had scalding water in the shower after a long wait for it to heat up and then after the first shower only cold water for the rest of our stay. The receptionist said that we would receive an e-mail from the management but nothing has arrived. Reported it but nothing was done about it. No lift and two very long staircases to climb to our room.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 25, 2011

Stayed here one night in early January, 2002. Would consider staying there a 2nd time, not for a long stay, though.
Below is a recollection of memories of my stay. Don't read if you want objectiveness.
That was the time the Euro currency came into effect and I was curious to see how they were coping with it.
Having driven alone all night long some 1100 kms in a small car and feeling obviously very tired, after entering France my priorities were to take some rest and find somewhere safe to park the car. But the weather was quite good for the time of the year, curiosity took over and I ended up between Cabourne and St. Jean de Luz, which I only knew from a distance while travelling on the Hendaye-Paris train.
Can't remember many details about the hotel, but here´s a few:
spacious, clean, well heated and quiet room on 1st floor (there was something wrong with the first room I was given, but they quickly gave another one). Small windows, no balcony. Private toilet, small, no bathtub. Small TV-set, no cable, no English-spoken channels.
Did not need to use the lift, nor did I have breakfast in the house. Probably there was an extra charge for it, but can't be sure.
Two wide fligths of stairs connect the fairly wide lobby (Grand Hotel, isn't it?) with the 1st Floor. Thick red and dark blue carpet everywhere, from the entrance to the rooms, same pattern everywhere.
Friendly reception staff, told me to park my car at a one-way street behind the hotel building (no parking meters at the time, if I can recall). They allowed me to check out a bit after 12 o'clock noon and leave my luggage near the reception.
Can't remember how much I paid for the room, but since it was off-season, shouldn't have costed much. I paid with Portuguese debt-card.

No Euros were accepted in the hotel back then, unlike the cafés, restaurants and commerce in general - remember, this was the transitional period when both currencies were circulating. I remember having seen huge queues outside the Post Office that stretched around the block. They consisted mostly of old people waiting to collect their monthly pensions; but there was P.O. staff alongside the queues assisting them, handing out brochures and providing explanation about the new currency.

Good location, very close to the pedestrian area and not far from the market hall.
Suspect that that "Grand" was added up later, when I stayed there it was just Hotel de la Poste, but can't be 100% sure about this.

I love this small town. Good fish and seafood, oysters, a glass of cold Bordeaux white wine, a stroll along the beach and harbour bay make up for some good memories.
I assume it is a very crowded place during the season, so avoid the main getaway periods if you can, but definitely worth visiting.
As for the hotel...see my title again. Hope you enjoyed this posting,
thanks for reading.

Room Tip: Sorry, no idea.
  • Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo