“Ham and chillies on the cieling”
Review of Kako Etxea

Kako Etxea
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is the real Mcoy. Its an authentic Basque eatery with hams and dried espelette chillies hanging from the cieling. Lovely atmosphere with silk tablecloths and curios around the walls. The owners are extremely welcoming. The basket of goods on offer is fantastic. order a combination plate with cheese. good wine stock of this region. We enjoyed our lunch here

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We went there for dinner after 8 pm on a rainy night, without reservation. The restaurant was full, so we had to wait a while at the bar for a table. The decor is stylish and atmosphere was lively, indicative of its popularity. The service was also very good. We had skewered shrimp and scallops, as well as pan fried squid ($17 euro). Both were very very good, except the quantity is small for the price. I would still recommend Kako though!

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Our hotel snagged the last table reservation for us on a Saturday night and we felt very fortunate. It was a fun place - small, lively, with fun local decor. Sitting near the kitchen provided us with some theatre as well.

My husband and I both had one of the evening's specials. I had the fish and he one of the meat specials. Every course was delicious. I especially loved the tomato soup that I got as a starter. Good wine too.

The place was packed and included one rather large group, which can sometimes mean pretty slow service. This was not the case. The servers were friendly, helpful, and attentive and the food arrived quickly - and hot.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Recommended by the hotel staff, I went for the midday meal. It was superb. I went in just at 12 and by 12:30 people were waiting to get seated. The midday menu was only 12 euro 5. I got a bowl of soup (as it was chilly and raining) and the beef with fries. Very tasty. Though packed, it held the sound well and had a very warm, wooden decor.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

According to my theory that good restaurants are always to be found in the immediate vicinity of fish markets, we dropped into this one right across the road. The system worked. This is a busy and appealing place. Occasionally one is lucky enough to find a really super waiter, which I suppose is partly due to good management. We did, this time. Anyway, the whole experience was terrific, and the kitchen pulled its weight, too.