“Standard, Good”

Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner
Canberra, Australia
“Standard, Good”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Arrived at 19.20 and thought "what's wrong, no one here and the staff eating out the back". Apparently no one eats in Pau before 19.30 which was when Le Berry opened. Despite our ghastly Anglo-Saxon expectation of being fed at an unreasonably early hour, le patron opened for us and we were very glad to be early as the place filled within 15 minutes of advertised opening time. Service was prompt and courteous, and the menu was unadventurous but comprehensive. The desserts were extravagantly served with more cream than I had believed existed. Probably not healthy, but delicious. Seating is possible both inside and out and we were comfortable in the protected outside area despite the best efforts of a looming Pau storm which blew most of the tablecloths off the outside tables in the next cafe. Good value.

Visited May 2013

Paris, France
“Lively, fun but food is mediocre.”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The atmosphere is great. VERY busy.
Bustling service, friendly.
My asparagus was from the can (the waiter SAID SO!).
The steak tartare huge but with too much seasoning.
This place is open every day of the week.
For Sundays, I'd recommend it.
Otherwise go somewhere else.
PRO TIP: the Niçoise salad is a good appetizer, and they have good desserts.

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Typical bustling brasserie ambiance, just OK food”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

I went here on a recommendation, along the lines of "you have to go here, it's a great brasserie and always popular".

When I walked past the place before its opening time it didn't look like much - it's not a nice-looking (wood panelling, fancy lights etc.) brasserie if that's what you're expecting. The fact that outside the menus were in three languages did nothing to boost my confidence - from experience, in France whenever a restaurant has menus in anything other than French, it's because they are going for the tourist trade. And in France tourists are invariably considered to be ignorant and without any taste, and there is no hesitation to raise prices and lower quality.

When I came back about 15 minutes after it had opened (it opens at 19:30) it was almost full already. It's clearly a popular place, and certainly isn't a tourist trap. It's a more down-to-earth simple sort of place, casual yet comfortable.

The evening started badly when, realising I wasn't a local, I was quickly shown to a hidden away table tucked into the back of the restaurant. But I persisted and got the table I wanted in the closed-in front section of the restaurant: after all part of the appeal in this sort of place is to be elbow-elbow with your neighbouring diners, listen to their conversations, and look at the passing traffic (as everyone else is doing).

Service is "correct", and almost - but not quite - friendly. But it's still a big step up from the Parisian surly "my job would be a lot easier if it wasn't for you customers" waiter style.

The food was a bit disappointing however. I had hoped for something a little better than this, given the recommendation and reviews. Not that it's bad, but it's no better than your average simple brasserie-on-the-footpath. The menu is very standard, and covers the range of what you'd expect (salade chevre chaud, entrecote, confit de canard, mousse au chocolat - that sort of thing).

The restaurant was full the whole time I was there, and people were being consistently turned away, or led to the bar next door to wait for a table to become available. They handled this well, with a waiter going next door to get his (the waiters are always male in these places) customers when the table became free. Obviously, this is a popular place, but you cannot book.

Finally, I was left with a bill for 46 euros for three courses and a half bottle of simple wine, which I think is a bit too much given the standard of the offering, especially compared with other places in Pau.

• Visited March 2013
Rome, Italy
“Not a good suggestion”
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

My third time in Pau, and a friend of mine told me it was a good place to go! I arrived very early in the evening (7:45) and I have waited 15' to order...the soup arrived very quickly but it was salty... Then other 20' to get the meat: the contre-filet was perfect cooked but it was very hard to eat: salty and leatherly...
20' to ask for the receipt
The only good thing: the bill...cheap but the meal was on the same level!

Houston, Texas
“Enjoy Sunday lunch with the locals”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I greatly enjoyed my solo Sunday lunch here of salad nicoise and local cheeses, surrounded by local families. Waitstaff is very friendly and Sunday was loud with lots of conversation and waiters calling out orders. My salad was good, but nothing special so on food alone I would give it a 3/5, but the ambiance was great for a solo traveler who doesn't want to sit in a quiet restaurant alone.
Will definitely visit again.

• Visited February 2013