Best Western Continental
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$98
$88
$61
Hotel Montilleul(Pau)(Great Value!)
$40
Hotel Quick Palace(Pau)(Great Value!)
$40
$52
$50
Travelocity
A l'Hotel(Pau)(Great Value!)
$46
$163
HotelQuickly
Premiere Classe Pau - Bizanos(Pau)(Great Value!)
$44
TripAdvisor
All reviewswithin walking distancegrand old hotelfrench citiesparking closefree parkingreception staffdecent sizeexcellent hotelan upgrademini barcoffee machinean overnight staybusiness tripold townhotel is locatedcentre of towngarage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 28, 2013

After leaving the Manoir de Beauvoir, this was our next stop. The drive south to this hotel had plenty to see and we drove through some pretty little villages.

Perhaps I should say at this point, that my satnav program has been told to avoid any toll-paying roads. What I save in tolls, covers the cost of my diesel for the whole trip from Roscoff to Hondarribia in Spain.

Again I used the cafe's in garages to have some coffee. One thing that I would like to point out about rural garages in France and Spain - make sure the pump you are going to use has been reset. I drove to a diesel pump as a lorry pulled away. I stuck the nozzle in the tank and looked and waited for the pump to be reset, as it was reading forty-odd Euro's. I went in to the desk and asked the guy to reset the pump. He didn't speak English, and I don't speak Spanish, so I signalled to him with my finger to follow me outside. He came out and pulled the pump trigger, and the price on the pump rose as he did so. I shouted to him no!, pointed to the pump price indicator, and drew the figure o. He went ballistic throwing his arms in the air and muttering. I just stood there and waited, and stared him in the eye when his face turned towards me. Eventually, he went inside and reset the pump. I filled up and it cost me thirty Euros. I made sure I gave him the right money, because if I had given him say 100 Euro note, I bet he would have only given me twenty Euros change. When I left, he muttered in Spanish loudly as I walked, all the way out the garage. Although I don't understand Spanish, I think I get the gist of what he was saying to me.

It was five-o'clock when we reached Pau. The satnav took me straight to the door, but I was looking for the garage. I drove around the block but could find no garage entrance. I drove back to the front, and my wife went in and asked where the garage was. It turns out that the garage is in another building. If you come out the main door, turn left and traverse the street. About 30 feet in front of you, you will see a row of bollards marking out a driveway, with a metal gate in front. On the wall there is keypad, and a four-digit number has to be punched in. The receptionist gave my wife the number, and hey presto the door swung open. It's a fair size garage with plenty of spaces.

We had a room on the second floor overlooking the street. The décor looked early 20th century, with very high ceilings and big doors. The furnishings are good, and I suppose some of them could be classed as antiques. The bed was queen-size, and very cumfy. The town has plenty to offer, and weather permitting, has some colourful places to see. I had a burger in a burger bar just down the road from the hotel, and it was excellent, a bit rare as the French like it, and was only around a fiver.

Breakfast was the usual continental buffet, but the salami was especially good, and of course so is the bread.

It was early June, and we didn't have to pay any tourist tax when we left the hotel.

Room Tip: My room was at the front, had a nice view over the street which is very busy in daytime, but it was quiet as a mouse at night. I couldn't say what the back is like, and there may be nightclubs there, so I would check with reception, or research it on-line first.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 21, 2013

We spent one night in this hotel which was fine, but the room's decor, furniture etc. is looking very tired and the hotel needs some renovation. The location is very good although it is tricky to find and it is necessary to park in the garage a couple of blocks away - but be careful, the entrance is difficult to find and very narrow, as are the parking spaces.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The hotel is in a charming older building and as with many Best Westerns it's got plenty of character. Here, so have the staff who are helpful and fun. The room I enjoyed was big & airy with a huge full height window opening over the street, so well ventilated. No a/c to be seen so it could be warm in high summer, at a guess.

The breakfast is dull and the lift a little limited, but you'll be hard put to findf a better location with parking, especially at that price.

Another contributor mentioned fires, and there was a small one in a guest bedroom on my last night. I slept through the quiet alarm & was woken by a 'phone call from reception. The crowd of burly pompiers & their numerous appliences reassured, but it may be true the alarm & other provisions in the hotel could be improved.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Very nice hotel in the center of the city within walking distance of it all. There was free parking in a garage nearby and the staff was very nice. Breakfast was standard and filling. The rooms were large and comfortable if not a bit bizarrely decorated with what seemed like a mismatch of old and new furniture. Good stay.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 18, 2013

From the picture of the outside my expectations where not high, but how wrong I was. The reception staff where extremely courteous and helpful which every member of staff was on duty. The room was a delight with wonderful views of the snow capped Pyrennes (even if restricted) and a large corner bath for an evening soak.

Hotel is also only a few minutes walk from the town centre, fountain square and promenade, all mostly pedestrianised. Pau is a wonderful city to walk around and the views !!!

Quick Tips. Pizzeria diagonally opposite the hotel is modestly priced and very good.
If taking a car to the hotel there is hotel garage parking but suggest arrange directions and access code in advanced as parking around the hotel is very limited

This is one of the best 3 start hotels I have stayed in and if ever back in Pau would definitely stay there again

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple