“Set amidst amazingly beautiful natural beauty, with kind hosts.”
Review of Stechelberg

and 1 more site!
Stechelberg
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Stechelberg
Reviewed February 8, 2011

This is one of the most memorable places that I have stayed due to the incredible breathtaking natural setting. The kind owners were lovely, always ready to answer our questions and give us maps and suggestions for our adventures. We stayed in the newer building across from the main hotel--the upper floor with balcony that had a stunning view of the waterfalls and also the rushing river running by. It just felt good to be alive amidst such beauty! We took many of our meals at the restaurant and found them very good. Would love to return someday. Tripadvisor would only let me choose Sept. 2010 for the date, we were actually here in September a few years earlier.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 4, 2010

We booked about three weeks before our departure, so we only able to get a room with shared bath. We were right next to the bathroom with was good for me, being pregnant. On our first morning our plan was to take the first train to the Jungfraujoch which departs at 7AM. The owners graciously provided us with a delicious sack lunch left on our doorstep. The scenery was amazing, the hiking superb and everyone was friendly & helpful. However, if you are looking for a luxury hotel this is not it. Usually when my husband and I travel we are looking for just a cclean, omfortable place to sleep and we found it here. We can't wait to got back to this area and hike some more...

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flyingjen
Reviewed July 23, 2010

As said before, this hotel is at the end of the valley, next to the last bus stop. It has a chalet with rooms as well. The hotel and rooms are very clean, the bed good, not too soft, the shower great with hot water. The only hotel without soap and shampoo, but towels are provided. We had a nice balcony overlooking the garden.
Dinner was a la carte, a good selection of large portions, and reasonable priced.
Breakfast had a good selection of bread, cheese and cereals, and I saw meat too.
As this is not Lauterbrunnen, but at the end of the road, the feeling is beeing in the middle of nature. You hear the thunder of river and waterfalls, and the mountains all tower high up on all sides. A lot of walking trails lead from the hotel to the mountains, or south, to the Trummelbach-falls,an easy walk, rather flat., and on to Lauterbrunnen.
The cable car up to Murren is not far from the hotel.

• Stayed: July 2010
1  Thank Bhutantraveller
Reviewed July 5, 2010

Not everyone is looking for simplicity paired with grandeur while traveling. The Hotel Stechelberg, run by the family Gertsch, is a place to find the extravagance of nature and one's inner self. Stechelberg, being a hamlet at the southern end of the Lauterbrunnen Valley, is a most beautiful setting for the Hotel Stechelberg. Clean and efficiently run, the hotel is characterized by the simplicity of offering an authentic and genuine place from which to appreciate and explore the Lauterbrunnen Valley and its heights. I have had the good fortune of staying with Marianne and Otto on four separate trips and would return in a flash. Those who would have a complaint or criticism must not understand.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank awilhe
Reviewed June 27, 2010

This hotel is right next to the last bus stop that takes you from Lauterbrunnen to Stechelberg. I took the bus there to do hiking in the mountains on the very well marked trails. As remarked by others, the scenery is breathtaking, it reminded me in some ways of Yosemite valley.

On may return, I stopped in for a beer at the hotel, while waiting for the bus to take me back to Lauterbrunnen. I noticed that the restaurant offered fresh trout from their trout pond. This being one of my favorite meals, and hard to come by in the States, I returned the next day with my wife and had the trout, "Forelle Müllerin" on the menu, for lunch. It was excellent, the most memorable meal I had on our 2 week vacation spanning Switzerland and France.

Since I did not stay at this hotel, I cannot comment on the accomodations, but my overall impression was that this is a place that is very genuine Swiss, frequented by the locals as well as guests. I noticed an earlier comment that complained of unfriendliness. This is, I think, an unfortunate misconception. These are plain and direct speaking farm folks, who may lack the professional "smiley face" to which we are accustomed in the States, but they take their jobs seriously and are good at it. I found the place delightful for this very reason, and for the excellent trout dinner, and can recommend it strongly for all who can break free of their "tourist bubble" and experience the real thing.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rosentrekker
Reviewed April 3, 2010

This hotel is NOT for the people who want all the amenities of most hotels BUT if you want to see nature at its finest ---GO. I have been there 8 times over the past 10 years. The ability to take a long hard hike or a leisurely one is just outside the door. The hotel is located at the end of a small beautiful road that winds past cow filled pastures. There are many waterfalls on the very well maintained paths from Lauterbrunnen to the hotel. On one side of this incredible valley you have the waterfalls & the other gorgeous views of the Monch, Eiger & Jungfrau that are mostly snow covered. What more could you ask for. There is a river aside of the hotel that makes going to sleep a breeze. Taking the telecabine to Murren or Wengen offers views from the top of the mountain down into the vallley.
No doubt the rooms are utilitarian but clean. Breakfast is typical Swiss style with meat, yogurt, great bread,hard boiled eggs, jams & tea or coffee. Lunch & dinner are usually hearty with potatos, spatzel,pork,salad etc..
I take everyone who visits us in Switzerland to this hotel and all of them want to go back. If you are able to visit in late September do it with your camera.
This hotel is for people who love nature & hiking. For those people---you won't be sorry.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank 23aigle
Reviewed September 29, 2009

Again, as in July, we experienced kindness, warm hearts and a big welcome-feeling here.
Wish we could go there every month...
Been there now in summer and fall... Let the winter and spring come... :-)

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stechelberg
Alpenblick Hotel Pub & Restaurant
#9 of 11 in Murren
Hotel Restaurant Schutzen
Hotel Restaurant Schutzen
#6 of 7 in Lauterbrunnen

Been to Stechelberg? Share your experiences!