All reviews great hosts spacious room highly recommend a stay flowering plants open to the public book in advance lovely swimming pool vezere valley mike antiques fridge garden village caves france voice countryside
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We stayed ih the Ferme de tayac for 4 nights and had a most enjoyable stay. Having left the luberon where the sun was shining and the temperature was in the 30's, we arrived in les eyzies and it was raining.We were very tempted to return to the sun in the luberon. However, because the welcome we recieved from Mike and Suzanne was so lovely and their bed and breakfast was so beautiful we just couldnt leave this gorgeous place and all it had to offer.The house and gardens are magnificent. Each room in the house is very tastefully decorated and the garden is a total haven of peace and tranquility.Mike and Suzanne were excellent hosts and we would have no hesitation in reccommending this beautiful B&B and look forward to returning again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Louisefitzs
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We stayed for three nights at the end of June. The owners - Suzanne and Mike, were very friendly and helpful, advising of places to see and also how to have the best chance to get into some of the caves which have limited places. One evening, there was an English football match which my husband really wanted to see and when we could not find anywhere local to watch it, Mike invited to let him watch it in their private sitting room, while I sat and talked with them whilst drinking wine in the garden.
The house has been renovated beautifully and being at the end of the village is beautiful and peaceful. The pool is very welcome at the end of a day exploring the area.
I would definitely stay there again if I was in the area.
Jayne & Paul. England

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Jayne K
Reviewed July 4, 2012

We picked this place after much research, including these postings on Tripadvisor. And just about every positive comment was truthful and informative. We got the room overlooking the garden. It was a large garden with plenty of places to sit and even a roofed gazebo with tables, chairs, frig etc.at the far end. The breakfasts were just Ok but unusual that we were served hard boiled eggs with the delicious croissants, breads, local jellies, etc, which is typical for France B&Bs.

Now to the ugly part—the unthoughtful and noisy English hostess and owner, Suzanne. (Not so much Mike—he’s a helpful guy although a bit full of himself.) We were there for three nights and on the first night we came to be sorry that our room overlooked the garden It was warm in the room (no fan) and Suzanne had advised us when we checked in to keep the window open and said we wouldn't have trouble with bugs after turning off the lights.

That evening when we returned from dinner Suzanne was sitting outside just a few feet under our window talking on a cell phone and even though she was not shouting the conversation was quite animated and the proximity of her chair to our window allowed us to hear every word. When she finished talking to one person she would call another and this went on for hours. Due to the incessant chatting we weren't able to concentrate on a book or sleep. By 10:45 pm I had had enough, got dressed and headed downstairs.

I ran into Mike in the entryway and he asked me if something was wrong. I said to him, “I am very sorry to have to ask this but could you move us to a quieter room?” He asked what was the matter and I told him about his wife’s chattering on the phone under our window for the last couple of hours. He kindly said, “Then I’ll get the chattering to stop” and turned away with a smile on his face. In parting I said, “I am very sorry to have to mention this and I hope you understand. We can’t close the window because of the heat.” Soon thereafter there was peace and quiet and we were able to fall asleep.

Here’s the rude part of the story. When we appeared for breakfast the next moring with a "Good Morning!" the first words out of her mouth were, “Are you the couple that complained about my phone conversation last night?” I answered yes as I looked at my wife in astonishment. A good hostess would have apologized for disturbing us but not her. She was quite agitated and said how "unfair" of us to say we were being disturbed by her and that she was talking in a normal voice on the phone. She said those chairs were a favorite place for people to sit and talk in the evening and no one has ever complained before. All of this was said with a harsh and disgusted voice. It made us VERY uncomfortable as we expected her to kick us out she was so upset with us.

“Have you ever laid in that bed with the window open and people chatting right under your window?” I asked: “And just because we are the first to complain does that make our complaint invalid?” “As paying guests are we not entitled to a quiet room?”

Her reply was again, “Well you are still being unfair to me and I don’t appreciate it.” She huffed off and Mike served the rest of the breakfast. She ignored us the next two days and we felt very uncomfortable around her.

So the moral of this story is, if you book here you might consider asking for a room facing the parking or facing the road and railroad tracks. Again, the place is quaint and full of (quirky clothing) antiques and the ambience is what you would expect from a refurbished centuries old monastery. We had no complaints about the structure, meal, or décor.

But we have to say that in all of our years of traveling throughout the world and staying in B&Bs, hotels, apartments and cabins, we have never been made to feel so uncomfortable, un-welcomed and talked to so rudely as at this place over something that should not have been an issue in the first place.

Room Tip: Ask for quiet room away from garden and don't expect to be treated with respect.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
11  Thank RainbowPhotoTours
Management response:Responded July 7, 2012

Dear Guests
It is clear from your lengthy description that you claim to have suffered some distress.
However it is also clear from the description that this distress was not communicated to us
until quite a considerable time later.
We cannot address a problem who's existence we are not aware of.
Once the problem was made known to us, it was addressed immediately.
The rest of the story is obviously a negative reaction to the disgruntlement.
Respectfully
M.Lamars

Reviewed July 2, 2012

We felt unwelcome from the moment we were greeted by Mike, our host. From the personal slights to his superior attitude, we found ourselves feeling unwelcome. His co-host Suzanne is lovely. However, we dreaded returning at the end of our day of adventures and left early.

The former monastery is beautiful but, there was little circulation and no fans in the rooms. So, sleeping was difficult. The beds are large. Toiletries are not provided so, bring your own.

Breakfast is limited and should you wish to eat on the property, make sure you bring your own utensils. The hosts will not lend any.

Room Tip: Chambre 1 has more windows than other rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank familys123
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Sir
We are sorry your stay was not to your satisfaction.
The cause for your general discontentment may however be explained by the following.
Our check-in time is 16.00 to 19.00.
At 18.30 we received a curt email just saying "We will arrive 21.30"
You eventually arrived at 22.30, and then instead of the three rooms you booked,
you only wanted 2.
But even then, yes maybe I should have made my discontentment at that sort of behaviour less apparent.
Respectfully
M.Lamars

Reviewed June 27, 2012

WOW,WOW,WOW the accommodations were the best, even better than the wonderful photographs, and the hosts were totally charming. I will go back some day and have already recommended this B&B to good friends for their next visit to the Dordogne region. Very comfortable beds and well functioning baths with new plumbing made for an easy stay. Karen C.

Room Tip: I stayed in room number 5, large, with beautiful stone walls, a sitting area and early beams.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends