“Wonderful dinner in a perfect setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Les Glycines

Hotel Les Glycines
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
“Wonderful dinner in a perfect setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

Staying in Les Eyzies for 6 nights and wanting to sample the best restaurants, we walked to this hotel to scope out the possibility of an evening meal. The young woman on the reception desk could not have been more helpful and is definitely a major asset to the hotel! We had a coffee on the terrace and a look at the menu before booking a table on the restaurant terrace for that evening. The setting is delightful, overlooking their private gardens. The food is exceptional, with ingredients coming from their own garden. My husband described his starter as "world class". Not cheap, but impecable setting, service and food.

Room Tip: Good idea to book, as this is a very popular restaurant with an extensive wine list
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

We spent two nights here on a dinner, bed and breakfast basis. The hotel is charming, our room was characterful, had a large bed and nice bathroom. The gardens and pool are lovely, very quiet and relaxing. The two dinners we had were outstanding, a very high standard of cuisine. The price of the wine however is eye watering, especially considering that the hotel is in the middle of a wine producing area! We avoided the bottle of Margaux at €1800 and went for the cheapest bottle at €29! We were slightly disappointed that by booking DBB we were not offered the main menu, but a shorter menu with only one choice which didn't attract a supplement. The cost of the package was expensive to start with, supplements we feel we're uncalled for. Likewise, breakfast was a very nice continental but a supplement was asked for if we wanted cooked eggs.
We would recommend this hotel, the dinners were a real treat. With regard to the 'no picnicking in room' rule - who takes any notice of that especially with bar and wine prices like they are?!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Merelbeke, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed in the hotel Les Glycines in Les Eyzies de Tayac in France during the first week of august.
The hotel is at the border of the center of Les Eyzies where it is a quit place to overnight and has a huge and beautifull garden.
At evening you can dinner on the terrace facing this garden. The kitchen is realy superb! The cook Eric Jung knows how to make excellent menus. It is the best hotel with excellent restaurant we had since years. The staff is also very friendly and helpfull.
If I have to make one minor remark than it concerns the pricy wines on the wine-card.
But a good meal needs a good wine...
I would defenitly recommend this nice hotel to all the people who likes a clean romantic hotel with a superb kitchen!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Marc-Martine
Blairstown, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

Run, don't walk away from this hotel! I booked 2 rooms at this hotel, one for my husband and me and the other for a friend. My husband became injured on the trip and had to fly home the day we arrived here. Upon arrival at the hotel, I explained my situation and asked if there was any way we could have just one room for 5 days instead of 2. Pascal Lombard, the manager, replied "What do you expect me to do about it" not I am sorry, not one bit of compassion or humanity only concern for the money. He also said he could do nothing about it as we had booked through Splendia. I called Splendia and warned them that he would be rude. They called me back and said that he was, in fact, rude as rude as he had been to us and refused to budge. We were stuck with 2 rooms for 5 days and that was it. I understand the hotel's position, but I hoped that Lombard would have been a decent enough person to say that he would TRY to rent the extra room and if not we would be responsible or at least offer to give us a discount or throw in breakfast. Instead of making any effort to help, he was just a nasty person. When we accepted our fate and unpacked, I went upstairs to ask for wine glasses and ice and I was told we could not have any unless we bought the wine from them! Additionally, when my friend went to ask for ice the next day, she was told we already got some. We felt like we were in prison rather than on a vacation. I booked this hotel based on a picture of the pool where I had hoped we could relax for a few days. Little did I know. Pascal Lombard and his equally unfriendly front desk woman could use some lessons in hotel hospitality.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lynn P
Boise, Idaho, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised by our room and the meal we chose to have at Les Glycines, what a peaceful, lovely setting you forget there is a whole bustling world around you. The food was incredible and the room comfortable, while it is not cheap it was worth the money and we would return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2012

We approached Les Eyzies from the Northwest on D47 on a drive thru the Perigueux. By that time I was exhausted since we started out over 7 hours previously in Paris, so the first decent looking hotel was game – but I was holding out for a pool. We just dove right up to Les Glycines on a large turn a few hundred meters from the town. Upon entering, you get the impression – look past reception, dining room, and terrace unto the large garden with pool in the middle. It was off season, so they made us a 115 euro price for one of their cheapest rooms – in the annex next to the main house. I was in the pool within 10 minutes of check-in.

Our room was sufficient and we could sleep with the window open. We were shown large rooms overlooking the garden at around 200 euros. As dinner was 45 euros, but included fresh vegetables from the garden, we ate at the local bistro in town, a nice 10 minute walk. Upon returning in the evening, we found most of the terrace filled with diners. Breakfast was 15 euros with no one around, and so we opted for the bistro once again, and paid 5 euros.

We canvased the town pretty much in the evening and previewed many of the other hotels. Hotel de France looked interesting with best rooms at about 85; L'Hôtel des Falaises looked adequate with rooms from 45 euros.
Having lived in France for 8 years, and having traveled thru most of the country, I found this particular town of Les Eyzies, along with the Les Glycines, one of my best experiences. It would be hard to go wrong visiting.

Room Tip: Splurge on a suite overlooking the garden.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TheDinParis
Barcelona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

We stayed in this hotel a couple of weeks ago with my parents, celebrating our wedding anniversary and my mother’s birthday. Les Ezyies and the hotel itself are fabulous but sadly I can’t say the same of management. After a warm welcome from Madame I went to reception to ask if I could put a bottle of champagne and a little cake in my parents’ suite as a surprise, explaining that we were celebrating. Had Monsieur had the manners to mention at that time that the hotel’s policy did not allow drinks or food from other establishments on the premises there really would have been no problem. Sadly this was not the case and after an inexplicably rude and rather uncomfortable reception at dinner (we were dinner, bed and breakfast guests), the following evening we found a poorly written message, in English only, in both rooms, from reception saying that had we read the Welcome booklet we would be aware that they do not permit picnics in the rooms but could provide glasses, ice and peanuts for 5euros a glass?!?! Personally the first thing I do when I arrive at a hotel isn't to read a booklet and its rules… And so we realised our mistake and that this was the reason for the treatment received.
I would have expected a hotel of this category to have handled the situation entirely differently and it is a real shame that what should have been a memorable couple of days was tainted by such an uncomfortable experience.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
#3 of 8 in Les Eyzies-de-Tayac-Sireuil
Chateau de Monrecour
Chateau de Monrecour
#1 of 1 in Saint-Vincent-de-Cosse

Been to Hotel Les Glycines? Share your experiences!