“Great service, great food, popular with the locals”
Review of Bar Jean

Bar Jean
Ranked #61 of 362 Restaurants in Biarritz
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Large groups, Families with children, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 24, 2013

I decided upon advice from a local resident of Biarritz to have an evening meal at Bar Jean. I had been warned it was popular with the locals and that I should get down there early. I was in the door around 7pm, just as people were starting to arrive. By 7:30pm, there were queues outside the doors. And I can understand why. I had three courses in total, some tapas to start things off, a main course and then dessert.The tapas on offer were nicely presented and extremely tasty (and good value too). I decided on a Basque specialty for the main, the Axoi de Veau, which was hearty and delicious. Finally, the Gateaux Basque was to die for. As non-drinker, I did not sample the local fare in respect to wine, but the other diners seemed to be very content. Service was attentive, friendly and efficient. I could not have asked for much more. I would highly recommend this place to anyone - just make sure you get their early to avoid the queues!!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Excellent food and wine. Pretty popular place among locals. Daily fish market is just across the street. Go for chipirons plancha et les huitres!!!

Reviewed April 7, 2013

This was a great recommendation from our hotel. If we were looking for a place on our own, we might have walked by - seeing it from the outside, very busy, seemingly more drinks than food - but we had an excellent meal and top service. We appreciated that our server went out of his way to bring our son's meal very quickly (not on our insisting, but probably knowing that fed babies are happy babies!) and he offered water for our dog. The setting is casual, but there is a good vibe and a cross-section of locals and visitors.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Back in BarJean again and as always the food is great. Nice tapas bar, 1 euro per tooth pick. Delicius meat as main course. Great crowd, Love the atmosphere!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

It's not their fault that the atmosphere has temporarily gone (due to the current refurbishment of Les Halles), but sadly the food just isn't as wonderful as it used to be. We had been dreaming of our return ever since discovering Bar Jean 3 years ago (back then they were the best calamari I had ever tasted), but we were disappointed. Apparently it has changed hands, and while still a nice bar to have a drink and eat a few tapas, I can't say that it was great value for money and most of the food was just OK. The calamari were very disappointing but the boquerones (marinated anchovies) were delicious.

1  Thank pippart