“Charming Hotel with 5Star Friendlieness”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Mirano Hotel

Mirano Hotel
Ranked #17 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
Ireland
“Charming Hotel with 5Star Friendlieness”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

First a warning which I missed out in looking at reviews for this Hotel - prepare for a 15 minute walk in and out of Biarritz if you decide to stay here. If you don't like walking to the beach and into the town then don't stay here.

However I have no reservations in saying that this hotel is amongst the most memorable I have stayed at. Ignore the 2 star rating - by the way the prices seem 3 star. The 2 owners are so helpful, any questions on the surfing or the places to go and the guys will help you. No question of being too busy, you really feel that in this small hotel you matter to them.

As you will see from the pics the place is very funky, each room is different (I had a look in), and while it may look like a hippie place, I found the service to be very sophisticated and the rooms super clean (do i think Hippies are otherwise).

A positive arising out of the faraway location is that there is free on street parking, which seems quite safe.

Go there with an open mind and accept that this is a great little hotel with a lovely atmosphere. But there are no bargains here - we paid €100 for a double room, and breakfast / drinks proved relatively expensive. Buts its independant and you get a service. That's good enough for us.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Cumbria UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2009

This is a lovely hotel, its impeccably decorated, immaculately clean and a really different experience. Biarritz is an expensive city and Mirano offers a great stay for a great price. I would thoroughly reccommend staying there if you like something different.

The staff are great, really friendly and helpful and gave us excellent tips for eating, Bar Jean and Aldente were both brilliant.

In terms of location, it is a walk outside of the town centre but we were happy with strolling into town and we asked our restaurant to get us a taxi back, its also very handy for the airport - taxi just 10 euro.

Don't hesitate to book it !

Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2009

This hotel is absolutely gorgeous. It only has 8 rooms so there's no showing of key cards or room numbers to get drinks or worrying about security of your belongings. The decor is impeccable through the front entrance to the stylish bedrooms. Hotel owners are friendly, helpful, polite and welcoming to all visitors. It is definitely the cleanest hotel we've ever stayed in. Only downside is the 15 minute walk uphill to get to it from the centre but in hindsight it was good to exercise off all the lovely food we ate! Fabulous.

Manchester, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2009

This hotel is a great hotel to stay at to just relax in the patio area with a book and drink. The owners are very helpful and can recommend restaurants in the town centre. The rooms are up to date and very modern. The hotel is spotless and the guests friendly. There is a good breakfast provided until midday.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

After checking out hotel prices at other hotels and then seeing the reviews of this one, I decided to book, even though it meant switching rooms for a short 2-night stay (they only had one room available each night and unfortunately it wasn't the same room).

I booked directly with the hotel by email and got an immediate response. Again, because of the great price, we decided it was worth it to have to switch rooms. The first night we stayed in a family room which included 2 bedrooms, one with bunkbeds. other than that, it was the exact same as the regular room we moved into night 2. Although the hotel isn't necessarily on a main road, it does get traffic which can be a bit noisy, but at least it's not a consistent stream of cars. Luckily the weather wasn't that warm while we were there, so we were fine keeping the windows open. Otherwise it may get warm in these rooms as there is no air conditioner or fan (but perhaps they bring them in when it is hotter? This was August though...)

The hotel and the rooms were very stylish and well-done, did not look cheap. I really love staying in a hotel with a bit of personality, even when you can tell it's a budget hotel, but the room was clean and had the basic necessities. Not much more though - no body lotion (they did have shampoo and body wash) and I didn't see a hairdryer, but I never called down to ask for one either. There's no mini-bar, which I guess is to be expected, but there was the bar at reception so I'm sure you could get anything you needed there. This was our first time to Biarritz and while we didn't end up going to the beach b/c the weather wasn't good, I didn't see any beach towels and you definitely couldn't use the room towels. So I guess bring your own or plan to buy some.

The man at reception was very friendly and helpful when it came to giving directions, as well as calling for a taxi to go to the airport. Other than that, we didn't do much at the hotel and we did not eat breakfast there.

The only downside to this hotel is the location. While you're definitely in Biarritz and within walking distance to the beach and the town centre, the walk gets old real fast. The hotel is located in a residential area and really there is not much in the way of restaurants until you get down to the town centre. I did see a small Casino grocery store and one bar-type restaurant that was probably within 5-7 minutes of the hotel, but other than that, you'd have to walk all the way down to the centre and there you'd have a range of options.

My husband and I are very active and while we don't mind walking, having to do the 15-20 minute walk several times a day, after walking all over the town, just became a downer. Biarritz is not totally flat either, and while you're not necessarily hiking up a huge hill, it's not a walk along the coastline or anything. Some of the streets are really busy too, but there are sidewalks.

For us, the location really made the difference, especially since late at night (or any other time we tried), there were no taxis in sight. There were numerous people at the taxi rank and we eventually saw people start trying to hitch hike because it was clear no taxis were coming. Walking back at 12:30 along a dark and main road wasn't very fun. It definitely would have made a difference if we just had to walk down into town each time and then take a cab back.

As a disclaimer, we made no effort to learn the bus or free shuttle route. We did see the shuttle once, but we knew we couldn't make it and they only come every 15 minutes or so, so at that point it's faster just to walk yourself. Perhaps others have figured this out and it made a difference in their stay.

So overall, I would completely recommend this hotel to someone who is more concerned about value and finding a good hotel in a very expensive city. If location is everything, then it's probably worth it to spend more to stay somewhere else.

Glos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2009

We stayed here the night before flying back to the UK. The hotel is in a nice, quiet residential area.

We received a very warm welcome when we arrived - the owner / Manager was very helpful giving us all the information we needed about where to go in Biarritz and happily answered all our questions. Later that day we also got an excellent restaurant recommendation - Balzeak - about a 15 min walk away.

The hotel is really uniquely decorated and has a nice & friendly small hotel atmosphere. The rooms are quite small but clean and fine for a short stay.

The only bad feeling I had when I left was due to having to pay for some drinks we had at the bar TWICE! The night before, we got back to the hotel at 11.30ish and had a beer and wine. I paid immediately. When checking out, the same guy who had served us gave me a bill for the drinks. I said I had paid but he said I hadn't. As we were rushing to get to the airport I just paid for an easy life, but my advice would be to get a receipt when you do pay for bar drinks!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2009

This place deserves its glowing reviews. We stayed for two nights at the start of a 1 week holiday in the South West and it was the perfect spot in Biarritz. The two owners have great design taste, it's spotlessly clean and the breakfast is simple but ideal. It's a 15 minute walk into the centre of town but in a nice quiet area and well worth the walk. Can't recommend it enough.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple