“Poor service...we would not go back next time we are in Biarritz”
Review of Hotel Saint-Julien

Hotel Saint-Julien
Ranked #1 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This hotel is architecturally very beautiful (completed updated french country mansion) and the room are small, but pretty with nice bathrooms. Unfortunately, the hotel owner was very rude and made my wife and me feel uncomfortable for the evening that we stayed before cutting our stay short. Room rate was approx. 230 EUR.

I booked the hotel several months prior because I was looking for a luxurious boutique hotel in Biarritz with air conditioning and parking. To be sure that the hotel had both, I called to confirm and made a reservation over the telephone instead of just booking on line. The woman (an employee who apparently is not a family member) I spoke with assured me there was air conditioning. Nevertheless, the night we checked in we discovered that there was no air conditioning, but rather, a "climatization" feature in each room by which cool mist comes down from the dry wall ceiling. The day we arrived was on one of the hottest days in Biarritz of the entire summer. I explained to the owner that we were going to switch hotels because there was no air conditioning, as was confirmed over the telephone. She told us we were free to do what we choose, but we would not be refunded our 1 night deposit because they wouldn't be able to sell the room that night since it was already dinner time. When I explained that I did not think this was fair, the owner did not even apologize or accept any responsibility for the miscommunication and told me that there was nothing more to discuss. She said they had one room with air conditioning, but it wouldn't be available until the second night, but we would have to pay 15 EUR per night more. She said something to the fact that the temperature would be X degrees that evening and that would be plenty cool enough to to sleep. Consequently, given that we had spent 230 EUR that we did not want to eat, we stayed the evening and moved out the next morning.

What was interesting is that the hotel was owned and operated by a couple and there son (probably around 20 years old). The father and the brother, who initially checked us in were very sympathetic and friendly, but when it came time to discuss the return of the deposit, they had the wife/mother speak to me and she was the person who was rude and made us feel uncomfortable.

Bottom line, if you don't need air conditioning, the hotel is really nice. Unfortunately, since my wife works in the hospitality business, we can't ignore the guest service, especially when you are paying as much as we were for a room. Consequently, we would never stay at the hotel again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank JesseJames12

Reviewed August 2, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay in this lovely, stylish hotel. Our room (1) was very well decorated, with a modern bathroom. The shower was amazing! The family who run it are so helpful and welcoming. Their cats add to the charm of the place. The location is also very good too - not far from the beaches and lots of restaurants.

I have to agree with other reviews though - the air conditioning situation is not good. Our room was stuffy and hot with the windows closed, but as soon as we opened them, as we were on a corner and so had two windows, we got a great through-draft which cooled the room down well! We were also right next to the maid's cupboard, and the maids start doing their rounds at 9 am and so we never had a lie in! Plenty of time for sleeping on the beach though! Excellent parking at 15 Euros a day - we are so glad we booked it as it would have been a nightmare elsewhere in Biarritz. Also excellent free wi-fi.

We didn't have breakfast at the hotel. We did order a delivery from the sushi place recommended in the rooms (after a slight struggle to be understood over the telephone!), which was some of the best sushi I have had. We ate it on the terrace in the sunshine one evening. We also very much enjoyed the seafood restaurants down in the cove between the Grand Plage and the smaller beach.

We found the beaches extremely busy with families and teenagers, but overall we really enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chesterfield_1
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Good central location in walking distance to the beach and city center. Friendly and helpful staff. Carparking at the hotel for an extra fee. The room was good with nice bathroom.
What counts down, is an underdimensioned central air-conditioning, which can't be regulated from the room, so the room temperature is just a few degrees beyond outside temperature. Breakfast is ok, but you can get it cheaper and even better at local cafees.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Holger J
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Wonderful location, truly beautiful hotel. Would strongly recommend. Smallish bathroom without a bath for us, but a cleverly designed wet room type shower- suited us fine. Very clean, immaculately decorated and shared with 3 lovely cats. Staff (I believe a family) all very charming and friendly too. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Lady_Revell
Reviewed July 8, 2013

This was a repeat trip for us and once again the hotel did not disappoint. All the rooms are immaculately decorated in individual styles with character and class and are sumptuous to stay in. The bed was so comfortable with a lovely thick mattress and I can honestly say I had some of the best night’s sleeps of my life! Breakfasts are lovely and can be taken in the dining salon or on the terrace and along with the usual fare of bread, meat, cheese and pastries you can also have yoghurt, fresh fruit, eggs and cereal. The hotel offers private parking at a cost which is ideal in a town where parking is at a premium. There is also a lift which is pretty unusual for a small family-run hotel. The owners are incredibly friendly and knowledgeable and speak good English (and Spanish). I would highly recommend this charming boutique hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: If you like a good power shower room 24 has a wet room with a walk in shower with a huge shower head...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrew W
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Admire the family of the owner of the hotel. Well equipped bathroom, a comfortable bed, cleanliness. The hotel has preserved the charm of the old mansion. Conveniently located, 5-10 minutes to the waterfront and a quiet location. of the window was overlooking the ocean and lighthouse.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2013

We booked a flight to Biarritz and then looked for a hotel using reviews on "Trip adviser". This boutique hotel, small and privately owned looked just right AND IT WAS!
A superb hotel in a quiet residential area yet only a few minutes walk from the town centre with its many great restaurants and shops as well as the sea. We were given a great welcome by the owners and our room was superb, obviously recently decorated in the modern "chic" style with the kind of soft colours my wife adores. The bathroom was ultra-modern, huge and very efficient with absolutely nothing lacking. I suppose the only thing lacking in the room was tea making facilities but perhaps that's just an English thing.
Breakfasts were lovely with fresh bread and croissants as well as a wide variety of other foods including Madam's offer of eggs cooked anyway you liked. My mime of scrambled eggs certainly amused her!
In short, my wife and I are a couple who were looking for affordable quality, quiet comfort and yet not too far from "where it's all at". We found it in Hotel St-Julien - 10 out of 10. There's no restaurant for evening meals but the owners are more than happy to recommend places and make the booking for you.

Room Tip: It's worth spending a little more by having a "Junior Suite" which gives you plenty of...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple