“Big American Style hamburgers, food is okay”
Review of HD Diner - CLOSED

HD Diner
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Let me start by saying that I like America and the fact that everything is always so big there. So when we were looking for a restaurant in Biarritz and we walked by this restaurant on the Avenue Edouard we decided to try it. The restaurant has a classy American look, kind of like in the That 70's show. Cool old American plates and posters. The waiters tried to talk English, they did okay for the French. I Ordered a menu with a hamburger with onions and fries and my girlfriend ordered a chicken salad. Hamburger and fries were okay, a bit too much onions though. The salad was also good. Overall the food was okay, service also but I don't think I would eat there again. But if you are in for a hamburger and pass here by you can try it.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Visited this diner on a rainy night in October with some French friends and a fellow English traveller, suggested by our local friends. First thoughts were that the decor was absolutely fantastic, a real theme restaurant! And, unlike many theme decorated restaurants, it was continued into the menu, ordering proper American burgers and drinks. They even had root beer! The size of our main was overwhelming- nobody could finish it! Great value for money- if you were taking children, you could probably order one meal for two kids to share. Great variety of burgers too, all different toppings, sauces, amounts. Really impressed. Then came the desserts- I have never seen more cream! Most of our party ordered different varieties of Sundae- huge, well presented, tasty, amazing choice! Two of us opted for the 'create your own ice cream milkshake' option, and could not have been more impressed! Such a wide range of flavours you can combine to create a completely unique and personal to taste dessert! I opted for the banana split; two whole bananas, four scoops of beautiful, different flavoured ice creams and a mountain of cream that took three of us to finish! The staff were incredibly friendly, could speak enough English to complete an order. The other diners at the restaurant all seemed to be locals, so it was not at all touristy. All in all, I really really enjoyed my visit, it was a lovely unexpected find in Biarritz, and I would definitely recommend giving it a try!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

Wonderful! Went in here on Halloween night, and the staff were all wonderfully dressed up, and really friendly. The burgers were, as my son would say, awesome, as was the milk-shake. Couldn't have been better. You have to visit. Apparently they do breakfast as well, which I'm sure will be brilliant.

2  Thank Hoadswood
Reviewed November 1, 2012 via mobile

We thought we would have something different for a change so opted for this pink and blue diner. Decor is good but food was very average. Monstrous hamburger bun with undercooked meat and masses of chips.Hubby was happy with his hamburger but I wasn't too mad about mine. Service was friendly but no English spoken.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

We had a late lunch here on our last day of a 12 day trip to the Bay of Biscay Region, finishing in Biarritz.

The restaurant is located close to the tourist office and not far from the sea front. Our first impressions were very good as the décor looked fresh and bright using a mixture of pink and blue and pictures of 1950s American cars and adverts.

Indeed the menu looked promising as it contained a variety of burgers, bagels, milk shakes etc. I chose a chicken bagel and my husband opted for a smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel. We both asked for “old fashioned” lemonade.

The service was friendly and the meals arrived very quickly but oh how disappointing they were. The bagels looked as if they had been flattened in a sandwich maker or some device as they were only about half the usual thickness but much broader. My chicken was burnt black on the outside. There were lots of chips but they were very hard. The whole appearance of the meal was singularly unappetising. Our French was not good enough to complain (although the waitress had spoken English we thought things might get difficult in this situation).

The clientele seemed to be mostly school students and young surfing types so may be they have different expectations. Perhaps this is how bagels are served in France but somehow I don’t think so – it certainly was not typically American in my opinion. The place seemed to be either newly opened (or recently refurbished) judging by the décor and menus etc but I think they have a lot to learn.

1  Thank MandR88