“Compact rooms, convenient location, had a nice view”

Mercure Biarritz Centre Plaza
Ranked #27 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We spent 6 days with our friends from Barcelona traveling in the Basque country. Biarritz was our first stop. I had lived in France for two years but never made it to the southwest part of the country so Biarritz was always on my bucket list and I was not disappointed. It had the look and feel of a beautiful French seaside town that I had always imagined - just like a Joaquin Sarollo painting. This town is a surfers paradise. We must have seen hundreds of them as we strolled along the seawalls. Our hotel didn't have a parking lot so we were directed to a municipal lot in the casino which was diagonally across the street from our hotel. The people at check in were very helpful. The "attitude" that people often complain of regarding Parisians was non existent in Biarritz. The people couldn't have been nicer wherever we went. We had a corner room on the 5th floor with a view of the sea. However, the windows were rather small and narrow. And, given the size of the room and the positioning of the window, it's not like having a large window overlooking the sea. Nonetheless, it was a view. There's not much room to maneuver around the bed but after all, you're only there to sleep - not hang out in your room. The bathroom was fine and larger than you would expect based on the proportions of the room. The location of the hotel was excellent.

Room Tip: Get a corner room on a high floor
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank manhattanmom
There are newer reviews for Mercure Biarritz Centre Plaza

Reviewed September 18, 2012

I don't know why everyone is raving about this place. The location is good but that's it. The hotel is old and rooms were minuscule. The room had one of the smallest beds i've ever seen and the bathroom was almost bigger than the actual room. On the plus side there was free Wi-Fi. Didn't bother with breakfast and I was glad I was only staying for one night. If i'm back there I would try elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

we were so lucky to have a high floor, corner room with a sea view- absolutely worth the extra price. the beach surf is the best site to see in Biarritz and this hotel has a front row seat. it is perfectly located near everything important- all transportation, the boulevards for walking, eating and shopping, and a short hop across the street to the beach. the hotel desk staff was the hardest working I've every seen (which I can appreciate since I've worked in a world famous landmark hotel.) the hotel restaurant serves a decent bouffet breakfast as well as providing a very much welcome cocktail and snack at the outdoor cafe when you return. highly recommend this hotel in Biarritz.

Room Tip: high floor, sea view makes all the difference
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank geeLongIsland_NY
Reviewed September 5, 2012

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Joey_J229
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Stayed here are we made our way down to Spain. We hadn't booked so we enquired about a price and when we said we would think about it, we were offered a slightly discounted rate. Good location - view of sea is worth the extra money (although we werent very high (1st floor)). Room was large and clean - fairly typical Mecure. Didnt eat here.

Car park is a bit small and expensive.

Room Tip: If you dont fancy eating in the hotel there are plenty of places around.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Small car park. Poor service from the breakfast team, in addition orange juice is from supermarket. So I recommend to have it at the Casino bar (same price, better quality and smiling people). Otherwise very convenient and Nice place to stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank alex_bistes
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I made a mistake on hotels.com and booked the wrong dates for this hotel (29th Sep-1st October) when I should have booked 29th August-Friday 31st August). I spoke to Mr Chrisophe Dumas, the Manager but he won't let me change to my correct dates as the rate I booked was inflexible. This is in spite of the fact that they have availability and I'm prepared to pay more if my correct dates cost more.

I should not have made the mistake of booking the incorrect dates but am so disappointed that Mr Dumas could not be reasonable and allow me to change (at any additional cost)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple