“The location is superb”

Sofitel Biarritz Le Miramar Thalassa sea & spa
Ranked #11 of 64 Hotels in Biarritz
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 27, 2013

This is our fourth visit to the hotel and the location never fails to impress. The hotel overlooks Grande Plage beach allowing direct access. There is a large heated swimming pool which also overlooks the beach. Our stay was for seventeen nights this year and generally we were very impressed with the service ,quality of the room and restaurant although the high prices of drinks and food meant we did not eat here very often. There are plenty of alternatives nearby so this was not a problem and we enjoyed the evening walk along the promenade and into town.The one criticism I would make of the hotel is that when we were allocated our rooms our first room smelt strongly of smoke and was in a part of the hotel which also seemed to smell of smoke. All the rooms are non smoking but we have found in France that a lot of people still seem to be smoking in them. The young female receptionist was not very sympathetic and it took a lot of persuasion to get her to look for an alternative which was not available until the next day .When I went back to check out the new room she ignored me even though she knew why I was there eventually I was dealt with by a slightly more experienced male receptionist who was more sympathetic and restored my faith in the hotel

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank FelixstoweSue
Emmanuelle-Mahe, Customer Experience Manager at Sofitel Biarritz Le Miramar Thalassa sea & spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Madam,

Many thanks for taking the time to share your experience at Sofitel Biarritz on TripAdvisor.

We greatly appreciate your constructuve feedback as it enables us to serve better every day.

Thus, I was sorry to read about one of our receptionist's attitude. It is absolutely unacceptable. Rest assured I already informed our head receptionist about this mishap and that she took the necessary measures with her team.

Regarding the non-smoking policy, all our rooms are stictly non-smoking indeed.
However, we are not legally in a position to prevent our guests from smoking in their room or on their terrace. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the inconvenience it caused.

We do hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you again and to regain your trust.

Kind regards,

There are newer reviews for Sofitel Biarritz Le Miramar Thalassa sea & spa

Reviewed July 17, 2013

You know you are heading towards a superior experience when you book at a Sofitel, but Le Miramar exceeds all expectations.
Staff is among the best I have encountered in my travels around the world (especially doorman John).
Infinite details: valet parking, complimentary drinks in the bar... what about finding mineral water and candy in the car when you pick it up to continue your trip?
Rooms are big exquisite, decorated with taste in a sailing inspired theme. The bathroom is warm and functional.
Only breakfast has some room for improvement.
I can't wait to be back!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear VaterZeit,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Biarritz, and that you found our staff and services of such a high standard.

Thank you once again for your fantastic feedback, and I am also very happy that you intend to return to Sofitel Biarritz. We look forward to welcoming you back and to provide you with an even more spectacular stay than before.

A bientôt !

Reviewed July 8, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 28, 2013

Once a year my partner and I use our cumulated miles and points for a reward journey. This year’s theme was the Basque country. Before the Sofitel in Biarritz we enjoyed superb Starwood cash and points deals in Elciego and San Sebastian. What you get from Accor in comparison is lousy. No upgrades, no free breakfast, …
The Accor-Thalassa marketing is well done, the expectation setting was high - The deception on site huge. A week prior to our arrival my partner got a sales pitch for Thalasso treatments from the hotel. The call went some how wrong. What she had understood, was that unless, we pre-book a treatment package, we shouldn’t bother checking-in before 4 pm. The next ambiguous situation occurred on check-in. A junior, obviously lacking training, “placed” plenty of sentences, learned by heart, but not necessary relevant to the operation. We were also told that the 28 euro breakfast buffet closes at 10 - too early for a beach/wellness hotel we decided. Good choice, because the patisseries Miremont or Henriet in town (12 minutes walk along the beach) are simply stunning. Especially Miremont features multiple breakfast-formula, which you can enjoy in a historic setting with a view over the ocean. The hotel and the rooms show obvious signs of wear and tear. The size of our room (528), the equipment and the amenities are fine – the critical element is the view of non-sea-view rooms. Does that justify a price difference of minimum 100 Euro for an identical room with a sea view?
The Spa menu is very complete and the lady at the planning highly professional. For a start we took a 95 euro package for 3 treatments. We enjoyed the direct access from our rooms to the Spa area.
On Spa level -3 the hotel features a small heated seawater pool with a Jacuzzi section and a few massage jets. The place is in a horrible state, tiles falling off, mirrors are partly blind, corrosion everywhere, broken stairs to get into the water. One morning craftsmen were operating heavy electric gear next to the pool. While people were swimming in the noise, the metal sparks from the cutting wheels were flying into the water. The attending pool boy didn’t bother. This marked the end of our disastrous Thalassa experience.
Profitability seems to rule over hospitality. Management seems absent and ignorant of key factors in an up-market wellness/spa environment.

Room Tip: Unless you go for a sea view, insist on being on the highest possible floor.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Emile S
Emmanuelle-Mahe, Customer Experience Manager at Sofitel Biarritz Le Miramar Thalassa sea & spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Sir,

We offer you our sincerest apologies concerning the disappointment of your stay, and we regret that your visit did not reflect the high standards we set for our hotel. Please be assured we take your comments most seriously and we have discussed your observations in details at our Board.
Our goal is to always exceed our guests’ expectations. We value your feedback and we will take whatever steps we can to improve and serve better every day.

Regarding the arrival process at Sofitel Biarritz, check-in can be done anytime during the day. However, access to the room does start at 4 pm for all our arriving guests. As for our receptionist, please accept our sincerest apologies for the awkwardness of her check-in. We value our interns who are all eager to learn and put into practice their training.
We were truly sorry to read our breakfast buffet closed too early for you, and we do hope you’ll have a chance one day to try it as it is extremely popular among our customers. Nevertheless, we would like to congratulate you on your choice of Miremont and Henriet, which are two fantastic gourmet addresses in Biarritz – besides, Henriet is one of our providers.

Also, we would like to thank you for your positive comments on our Spa menu as well as one of our Ambassadors at the planning.

We genuinely hope that you will consider staying at Sofitel Le Miramar Thalassa sea & spa in Biarritz again.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed June 23, 2013

What is sure is that I will never travel again to this hotel.
I have booked a suite at Sofitel Biarritz with a see view.
First we arrived, there was no valet at the front door. I had to take care of my luggages till the front desk.
They were on duty, but prefered to listen to the music band inside the hotel than taking care of the customers.
Once I got the key of the suite, what a surprise when I open the window: no see view! but just an horrible house in front!
Besides the bathroom was not clean, and the room was really humid.
We called the front desk to change the room. They replied us: we will call you back!
After 15 minutes, we decided to go down, with our luggages, to the front desk.
A lady came over to us, the manager on duty. She told us that she cannot do anything for us, and she really seemed not to be really care about us.

Well at almost $800 per night, the service should at least be great.
What we did: we left this hotel and for sure will never come back.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
10  Thank Pierre C
Emmanuelle-Mahe, Customer Experience Manager at Sofitel Biarritz Le Miramar Thalassa sea & spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2013

Dear Sir,

I thank you for your constructive comments – your feedback is truly valuable to every Ambassador at Sofitel Biarritz Le Miramar Thalassa sea & spa.

I am deeply disappointed that our service at your arrival as well as the cleanliness of your room were not to our usual standards on that Fête de la Musique day. I am genuinely sorry to hear that our manager on duty that night was not able to help you.
Rest assured that I have communicated your feedback to our housekeeping and front office teams, and I have also discussed your feedback with the manager who was on duty that night. Those points have now been addressed and the necessary adjustments were made.

Regarding your Suite with a sea view – and in the case you would put your trust in us again – I would recommend you contact our reservation department directly. Our hostesses would be happy to guide you in your booking and therefore to better identify your expectations.

Should you wish to share your experience in further details with me, I remain at your disposal on +33 5 59 41 35 05.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed June 6, 2013

The hotel is a bit worn on the outside. On the inside it is very nice and expensive looking. There is a nice heated pool outside. The best part of the stay was the breakfast, it was certainly the best hotel breakfast I have ever had with so many choices you would need to stay at least a week in order to taste most of it with everything from fresh fruit to cheese and meat to hot dishes.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Kjell_13
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We loved the rooms and the bed but our view wasn't good at all, I think the layout of the Hotel is quite poor and doesnt take advantage of the location. The pool area is great but the location is a little far from all the action. The door staff weren't very friendly and I found it awkward how they walk you to your room.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple