“Vive Chez Jean”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed October 31, 2017 via mobile

Spectacular restaurant in a beautiful and typical French place. The welcome was friendly and they accommodated 6 of us without a booking. It was a Monday evening but Bordeaux was busy and vibrant. Most restaurants were full and the empty ones were not interesting for us. We sat upstairs in a cosy room. Whoever decorated this establishment has excellent taste. The Waiter, with an interesting name, was superb. Professional and assisted us patiently, with excellent suggestions and even took back the 2012 Bordeaux I ordered, because it was corked, and humoured me when I spoke French, although my franglais is hopeless. Our dishes from entree to dessert were exceptional. I don’t think I have ever eaten better in France. The foie gras delicate, the duck cooked to perfection and dessert with the right sweetness. I also tried my colleague’s entree with duck and soft cheese. OMG . Endless wine list with wines from the area, which warrant an excursion, if you have time. When I will return to Bordeaux, I shall definitely book in advance, as the veranda has the loveliest view of the square. Well done to the staff.

1  Thank samanthabudano
Write a ReviewReviews (1,187)

Reviewed October 25, 2017

Lunch on Wednesday 25th October and sitting outside in Place du Parlement and it’s sunny and warm. Charming little restaurant on the square. Good value set menu. Evening a la carte - not so sure. My wife had the tarte and I had the cuttlefish starters, both of which were excellent. Her main was the raie and mine an excellent steak tartare. A glass of house white wine was not great but the bottle of D’Alix Pessac Leognan (red) for 39 Euros was very good if a little expensive for what it is. The coffee was excellent as was the day’s dessert of hazel nut and chocolate cake. Staff were very good and attentive. A bit off that you have to go in and pay when you ask for the bill but maybe that is their way. Would recommend it for lunch.

Reviewed September 26, 2017 via mobile

Had a lovely squid ink tagliatelle and Mr H had a perfectly cooked chicken ballottine.. quick service and reasonably priced

1  Thank TravelswithMrH
Reviewed September 15, 2017

First and foremost the 28€ menu was pretty good value. We both had Brie (en croustillants) as starters, and cabillaud (with black rice!) as mains. For desserts we went for mouse framboise and la big dune blanche.

However, a bottle of rather ordinary wine set us back another 25€.

We sat outside at the front and the tables were just too tightly packed, which must have been a nightmare for the servers. Unfortunately, with smoking still being so ubiquitous in Bordeaux, smoke from the adjacent table chain smokers was constantly wafting our way, which didn't exactly enhance the experience.

I guess in the autumn and winter this won't be a problem, as people will be eating inside.

Reviewed September 9, 2017

A lady at the desk at the hotel where we stayed recommended this place on our first night in Bordeaux, and we're glad she did. We got one of the last outdoor tables at dinner on a lovely evening. We really enjoyed the parmentier canard (duck confit topped with mashed potatoes)(14.50 Euros), and the bottle of Chez Jean rouge (18 Euros). Service was very friendly.