“Let the Hoteliers take back control from the Accountants”

InterContinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel
Ranked #6 of 177 Hotels in Bordeaux
Reviewed September 24, 2012

A friend staying with me suggested that the title of my review should be "Fur coat but no knickers". I cannot disagree but I was concerned that TA might not publish with that sort of title. So why the strange suggested review headline?

Perfect location right in the heart of Bordeaux although access by car is tricky especially as the hotel is in a pedestrianised area. That she is a Grand Dame of the hotel world is not in doubt - elegant interior, superb service from ALL of the staff from the Manager to the Bell-Hop and well appointed rooms.

So why only an 'average' review score.

Like so many things in life, the heavy hand of the accountant can be felt and it does not make for a pleasant stay. The rooms were uprated a couple of years ago and when the work was done I suspect that more rooms were screwed out of the same available space. The rooms, even the deluxe rooms were tiny. Cots/exta beds are 'not available' in these rooms. What this means is not that they are not available but that there is no way you could get anything extra into the room. One large suitcase made for a tight squeeze every time my wife and I tried to pass each other in the room. Bathroom is strictly one at a time for just about everything - it is simply too small for two people to use simultaneously. The rooms were well equipped; good towels, robes and slippers; a Nespresso machine was a nice touch but only 3 coffee capsules, 2 milk cartons and 1 'non-hippie' tea bag limited its usefullness. Nice big TV but iphone socket didn't work (or was too complicated for a reasonably tech-savvy person to use). Overall, I cannot recall having been given a smaller hotel room (of any star rating) for many years - something that is simply unacceptable for a hotel that aspires to 5*.

The mini-bar was also eye-wateringly expensive - €10 for a small Toblerone - drinks were at stratospheric prices also. OK this is an expensive hotel - sure, charge me a premium but don't take me for a fool. €60 to use the pool? We're in a provincial French city here - we're not in Tokyo, New York, Paris or London.

Wi-Fi was free (as it is in most French hotels) but was very slow and didn't work more than a metre from the desktop transmitter. Slow at the desk and non-existant from the bed - simply not good enough.

I found the breakfast adequate but no more. Poor quality lukewarm coffee served in pots is simply not 5* standard. Breakfast chocolate (we're in France remember) was unavailable. Uninspiring would sum it up.

Balanced against this, the staff were charming. Nothing was too much trouble and advice and help was provided with a smile and effortless French courtesy. I felt that the staff's efforts to provide a top-class experience were being hampered by greedy accountants who understand little about hospitality and are only concerned aboout the bottom line.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank DublinEyeforDetail
Guests_relation, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Dear Guest,

I am sadded by your disappointment which is obviously not the image I wish that you retain of your recent experience at the Grand Hotel Bordeaux & Spa.

I would gladly welcome the opportunity to reverse this if you would allow me.

Hoping to hear from you, I remain at your entire disposal.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,588)

Reviewed September 16, 2012

This was our first trip to Bordeaux and staying at the Grand Hotel topped it off. The hotel is beautiful and the staff is even more magnificiant. The front desk, concierge, room staff, and restuarant were as helpful (and thank you all for helping me with my attempt to speak French) as any staff in the world that I've traveled. The central location is perfect for easily getting to any where in the city. I highly recommend using the tram if you're going to the train station for day trips. Our room, bed, and linens were great. The roof top bar is worthy of a couple of nights to see the city from another view.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind review following your recent stay at the Grand Hotel Bordeaux & Spa, I will of course share your comments with our team members.

Hoping to welcome you again very soon.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 15, 2012

Grand Hotel surely hits the spot. Great staff, and the rooms are simply great. Awesome location but of course it all comes with a price.

Only small notes on the downside. Wifi connectivity is a bit tricky, often unavailable and slow, Visits to the pool area cost 60€, Concierges recommendations really depend on who you ask. It seems that restaurants and sites to visit are directly linked to the hotel or depend on personal favours. The michelin star restaurant recommended was simply awefull, but upon complaint we received a little gift. Good tips came from Julien. Great staff member.

All in all I would definetly come again. Very pleasant stay

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the Grand Hotel Bordeaux & Spa and for having taken the time to share your remarks with us. We greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality standards.

It is with great regret we read that your stay was not to your expectations. We were very concerned regarding your comments about the concierge recommendations. I can ensure you that our concierges try to give the best advices to give you the chance to have the best experience.
I am sorry that your experience in the gastronomic restaurant outside the hotel that we have recommended you was not at your convenience.

I hope you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Grand Hotel Bordeaux & Spa.

We look forward to your next visit and remain,

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed September 7, 2012

Location could not be better in this magnificent town. The Staff is attentive and friendly. The only negative factor is that the rooms are unduly small, making it difficult for the traveller with more than one piece of luggage. Although we had paid for a room with view of the courtyard, we were given a room with a great view of the Opera House.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Cocolo47
Reviewed August 29, 2012

We booked in at a very good rate so we felt lucky to be at such a nice hotel. Our room was small but the bed was comfortable, nice linens, robes and slippers, nice marble bathroom, and the AC was quiet and kept the room comfortable. We had the view of the interior courtyard which was fine for what we paid. We appreciated the polite and helpful English speaking front desk and concierge. We took several wine tours so it was great to be close to the Tourist Office where they all depart. It was also great to be close to St. Catherine where a lot of the restaurants and shops are. One big catch with this hotel is that the pool and jacuzzi are really part of the spa so you have to pay for access. Not only was it unusual to have to pay to access a pool but some other guests we met were quoted a different rate than us. I guess it depends on the room rate that you paid as to how much the pool access costs. That being said, the pool is quite luxurious. It is indoor and is made of black mosaic tiles with jets that you can swim against. It is adults only so that it keeps a quiet spa like atmosphere. The jacuzzi is on on the roof top deck so that was fun. We did enjoy the pool but the charge was something new for us. We also enjoyed the roof top bar late at night. It was a great way to see the city lights and enjoy a beverage or two. The breakfast buffet is lovely but not worth the nearly $40 per person. Find a nice cafe nearby instead.

1  Thank mrsp-alisoviejo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this wonderful and detailed review on TripAdvisor!
We are thrilled that you enjoyed staying with us and that the service of our team was up to your expectations. The location of the Grand Hotel Bordeaux & Spa, in the center of Bordeaux, is indeed a real advantage for our guests.
For the Spa, there is indeed a charge of 60€/couple for the entire stay that give you the access to the pool, sauna, hammam, terrace with jaccuzi and the Spa bar.

We all look forward to welcoming you again and please do not hesitate to contact me personally for your future arrangements.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My partner and I recently spent 3 nights at this hotel and thoroughly enjoyed the stay. To our delight, on checkin we discovered we were upgraded to a junior suite free of charge which meant we had the luxury of a bedroom plus a sitting room and another room. The bed was extremely comfortable, the bathroom luxurious and it was extravagent to have access to 2 TV's. The hotel was in a great location, very central to the main shopping areas and restaurants. The staff went out of their way to make us feel comfortable, giving us a kettle on request so we could enjoy a cup of tea. The only minor gripe would be that we were charged 3EUR for fresh milk but hey, because of the free upgrade, we were fine with this. If we ever return to Bordeaux we will definately stay at the Grand Hotel again.

1  Thank AussiechickMelbourne
Guests_relation, Responsable relations clients at InterContinental Bordeaux Le Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review of the Grand Hôtel Bordeaux & Spa following your last stay in Bordeaux.

Thank you so much for all of your wonderful compliments and I will share them with all the team members.

Hoping to welcome you again very soon.

With all my best regards,

Reviewed August 29, 2012

My husband and I booked one night here as part of a longer holiday- it was our "break" from the kids!

Location cannot be faulted, it is in the prettiest square with the best shopping routes leading from it,lots of cafes with people watching potential.
Be aware of the one way system that operates in the city if you drive in, it can be confusing-not to mention the traffic calming 'pop up' bollards to keep the pedestrian areas traffic light.

Anyway, location aside- public areas are very opulent, heavy on the velvet fabric, enormous pot plants, chandeliers and drapes which I think is the look they are going for throughout the hotel, its very "french aristocratic" ? even the wallpaper in the corridoors is fake red curtains draped down the walls- bit much for some!
I like a slightly sleeker look but it does kind of fit the old building and parisien feel of the area. The staff are all very helpful and speak excellent English.
Our room was overlooking the front of the hotel right onto the Opera House, what a fab view.Sound proofing is excellent, we couldn't hear any noise at all from the square below or any rooms next to us.
The room is again done up in the slightly OTT style, and we had to giggle when we moved a 'twirly -whirly' lamp that was placed directly in front of the big flat screen tv!

The shower is a tad awkward, it is over a deep bath ( some people could find it pretty hard to get in and out of that bath, its a pretty big step in and down) and is quite hard to get to stay on the wall hook and stand underneath it- the floor does seem to get flooded with every shower.
Not enough shelving for your toiletries-my toiletry bag had to be kept on the floor which isn't really ideal.

This August was one of the hottest on record, it was a heatwave when we were there- some days it was up to 44 celsius so of course the air con was essential. We felt it wasn't really working in our room so an engineer came and checked it out while we were having dinner and it was much cooler on our return- we were pleased with such efficient work.
We both felt that the public areas could have done with better air conditioning, the lobby area was very stuffy and hot (to be fair most places would struggle with 44 c) and I did feel sorry for the staff all in jacket and tie!
We slept very well in a very big comfortable double bed and enjoyed the air conditioning in our room very much!

We ate our evening meal in the brasserie(sat outside where it was cooler and good for watching the world go by) which is lovely, again, the staff are all very good and the service what you would expect from this catergory of hotel.

We had booked in with a "romance" package which included a bottle of champagne, roses and a tray of macaroons, late check out and use of the spa included. (You have to pay to use the spa unless you are booked into a suite or have a special deal which I think is a bit cheeky, all hotel guests in all rooms should be able to use a hotel spa)
This is were the wrinkles are: not all the staff know about all the specials or room deals- which is up to management to inform.
We had to twice prove that our package included the spa (the member of staff was perfectly pleasant but hadn't heard of this deal) and we never did see the bunch of roses!
My husband mentioned the late check out to the reception who was also not aware of this, on investigating it was fine, no problem- but these little inconsitencies drop it down a category for me.
The spa itself is very nice, it is on the rooftop so great views over the city- its a bit of a warren of corridoors-lovely pool, lovely terrace with a hot tub-slightly odd layout.

Breakfast was as you would expect-plenty of juices, coffee or tea, buffet style pastries, fruit, cereal, hot dishes etc, and you can also have omelettes cooked to order as well as waffles.

So-overall impression- very nice, but not the faultless smooth elegance one would expect for the price or reputation.