“Best tapas ever”

Ranked #76 of 2,962 Restaurants in Bordeaux
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations, Takeout
Neighborhood: Capucins
Description: Our restaurant is located at the famous market place "marche des Capucins".We are opened for lunch on Saturday and Sunday.We offer a huge variety of "tapas" (like you can find in several bars in Spain), and good and affordable spanish Rioja red wine.
Reviewed October 13, 2018 via mobile

I walked across Spain last year, looking for great tapas in Pamplona, Logrono, Burgos, and wherever. I found many good spots, but none exceed La Madison du Pata Negra in the Marche du Capucins in Bordeaux. I’ve been here 2 years in a row, and the quality and variety of tapas is outstanding.

Timing of your visit is important. The Marche des Capucins is open every day but Sunday, but the variety of tapas available on weekdays is fairly small by their own admission. Best option is to come on Saturday or Sunday mornings, preferably around 11:00 to noon, when most of the tapas varieties have been prepared and before the crowds get too hectic. Service stops around 13:30 to 14:00, so there’s a definite window of availability.

Watch how others do it. La Maison will give you a tray for collecting your tapas and a small glass to collect the toothpicks that signify the number and price of tapas that you’ve eaten (between €1.90 to €3.50). Wine is also available at a reasonable price.

HIGHLY recommended!

Date of visit: October 2018

Reviewed September 23, 2018

Food is good and very well prepared. Ingredients seem of good quality and fresh.
The place is very small and if you are lucky to get a table will be shared with many other people but at least you can sit somewhere.

Tha really bad point of thisplace is the treatment of the woman at the till. It was extremely bad ans she was really rude to us when we just wanted to pay and we waited for more than 10 minutes.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed August 4, 2018

OMG - so glad we got a recommendation to come here on our arrival into Bordeaux. We headed to the market and this place stood out, as I love tapas. Deciding was hard and then I saw on the menu Foie Gras. That got me captivated, and they cooked it for me. Wow, so amazing, fresh and succulent along with perfectly cooked. Haven't had this since our last trip to France 3 years ago. I am still thinking about it. All the tapas was lovely and the service friendly.

Date of visit: July 2018
Reviewed May 28, 2018

If you are looking for us on the Sundays we spend in Bordeaux, it’s probably an easy bet that you will find us at Maison de Pata Negra in the bustling Capucines Market. Yes, there are other tapas restaurants in town, but Pata Negra seems somehow more special each time we come.

As always, the counters are filled with platters and platters of freshly made tapas -- chorizo sausage with manchego cheese and olives, quail eggs with roasted peppers, white fish paste with a dollop of black caviar, serrano ham topped with manchego cheese and quince paste -- the list goes on and on. And there are always surprises that are delightful.

This year we tried two new hot tapas -- crispy fried skirts and tubes of calamari served with wedges of lemon, as well as gambas -- large sauteed head-0n shrimp, delightfully spiced, their meat moist and very sweet.

The system at this little place is deceptively simple. Your server seats you and asks for your drink order -- in our case a bottle of 100 percent garnacha rosé from Navarro. He puts your order ticket in a shot glass in the middle of the table. You are handed platters and urged to circle the counters loaded with trays to pick your own choices from the dozens of tapas. The offerings range from little glasses of gazpacho all the way to tapas prepared as a strawberry tart.

Each tapa has a pic stuck in it, color coded to their costs. As you eat, you put your pics in the shot glass. When you are done your server will accompany you to the cashier, who will count your pics and total your bill.

As I have said many times, Pata Negra is a wonderful place to go for people with different appetites. You simply eat as much or as little as you want. But let me not leave out what I consider the bests tapas of all -- two from southwestern France.

With the first of these tapas -- both served warm -- a skewer with chunks of sauteed duck breast is laid down over the bread. The warm juices from the pieces of duck soak the bread turning each bite into a moist, savory morsel that leaves you licking your fingers.

But better yet is my all time favorite. A slice of foie gras is seared and laid down over the bread, dripped with aged balsamic vinegar and finished with a small dollop of fig jam. This tapa is so tender, moist and savory that each bite virtually melts on your tongue.

In years past, Madame Patricia and Monsieur Pascal, who own the restaurant and head the team preparing this cornucopia of treats, have tried several methods of equitably serving both the duck breast and foie gras tapas. This year, when servers emerged from the kitchen with platters of these tapas, they put them down on a counter near a silver bill. The bell was given a couple of rings to invite all those interested.

Be vigilant; these tapas go fast. I was headed for the last of the foie gras tapas when another patron picked it up. “Desole”, sorry, he said with a shy smile. On the next platter, I was ready.

So my tip for this year is to ask to be seated, if possible, at the community table near the bell.

We were in the center, two French couples about our age sat on one side of us, a young French couple with two very charming kids sat on the other. Greetings were made in French, but then those who called up a little English got to practice. In no time, as each party ate away, filling its shot glass with pics, we had all become friends.

Completely stuffed, we finished off our meal with glasses of the delicious and light Spanish apple liqueur, Manzana.

Date of visit: May 2018
1  Thank randallh685
Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

This place was buzzing when we got here Sunday morning. And you can see why. This place is amazing. Food is excellent. Service great. I couldn’t recommend highly enough. Husband and wife run. Awesome.

Date of visit: April 2018