“Trott down to l'Exploit as soon as you can...”
Review of Bistrot L' Exploit - CLOSED

Bistrot L' Exploit
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Cheltenham
“Trott down to l'Exploit as soon as you can...”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I am once again indebted to Trip Advisor for uncovering this little gem. My girlfriend and I were only in Bordeaux for one night and had no dinner plans; this place sounded great from the reviews so we booked what must have been the last table available.

She had scallops and a lamb dish but, wanting to be a bit more adventurous, I went for snails and pigs trotters. The snails were not doused in garlic as is often the case but rather served in a star anise-based, bright green sauce and puff pastry. Looked odd, tasted delicious. I had not tried trotters before but both members of staff aporoved of my choice and I was indeed not disappointed. It was one of the best-tasting dishes ever.

The outside seating area - across the (narrow) street from the main building and bordering a church - was particularly nice as the light faded.

Staff were helpful and attentive throughout, explaining how dishes were served (though we probably didn't get as much attention as our french diners - this was not a problem) and recommending wine, all the whike speaking good english. Total spend was less than 80 euros, including coffee mains are around 20 and starters around 10.

You must eat here!

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tom E

• Turkish first
Vancouver, Canada
“Great experience”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Recommended by Tante Charlotte, due to the fact that they were closing. Very thankful for the recommendation.

This was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have had at a Bordeaux restaurant. From the décor (emphasis on music) to the accommodating staff and the amazing food.

The restaurant was open relatively late and I believe it was the only establishment open at the time (approx. 11pm). The owner explained each dish in so much passionate detail, I had a difficult time choosing a meal. Duck, scallops, swordfish, pigs feet and ox tail were on the menu. The swordfish was cooked to perfection, full of flavour. I have never had pigs feet before, but the owner was insistent, so that was also ordered and it was absolutely amazing. After 1 entrée, 2 main dishes, 4 glasses of wine, 1 dessert (the soufflé - delicious) and 1 coffee, the meal did not break 70 EUR. Great value and an amazing experience. I highly recommend L'Exploit.

• Visited June 2013
1 Thank ConsummateDragon
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

A fabulous dining experience with a modern twist. The food was amazing and beautifully presented. Traditional ingredients but modern approach. Very attentive staff and well looked after. Recommend to dine here. Didn't make a reservation and had no trouble being seated.

Visited June 2013
Sydney, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Interesting menu and excellent food”
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Our evening at Bistro L'Exploit was thoroughly enjoyable. The service was pleasant and courteous. Madam explained each option on the menu in good english,in depth and each became more and more enticing. On initial inspection I felt my dinner choices would be limited but following the explanations I was willing to be far more adventurous. There were 5 of us and we all tried something different. All the meals were excellent. I would highly recommend this restaurant for a meal in Bordeaux.

• Visited May 2013
Epping, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Top class!”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Recommended to us by le bo bar round the corner this place really did not disappoint. It was 10.45pm on a Friday night when the four of us arrived and nothing could of been too much trouble for the owners. We sat upstairs and had the floor to ourselves but there was a warm buzzy atmosphere through the whole restaurant so we didnt feel out of it. The owner was very friendly and made a huge effort to explain the dishes to us in English even though we understand some French. There are no menus as such only blackboards with fresh dishes of the day. Scallops were beautiful in a chestnut velouté and the ox tail was just so tender and full of flavour, none of us could fit in a dessert which was a big shame. A definite must if dining in the Bordeaux centre.

• Visited March 2013