“Fantastic wines, terrible service”
Review of Bar a vins BU - CLOSED

Bar a vins BU
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Calgary, Canada
“Fantastic wines, terrible service”
Reviewed July 4, 2013

I recently visited VinExpo and had heard rave reviews about this wine bar. Without a doubt the selection and quality of wines was outstanding at very reasonable prices. The service-what little there was was absolutely terrible. We were seated for a considerable time before anyone even greeted or approached us. Service was slow and not in the least friendly. The cheese plate and foie grois were excellent as were the wine. If you have infinite patience and don't mind being treated poorly- this is the wine bar for you!

• Visited June 2013

West Palm Beach, Florida
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A place for wine”
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

If you love wine, or even like it, this is the place to be. The wait staff is knowledgeable and speaks English fairly well. They made great recommendations. Be prepared to wait whether getting in or served. However it's well worth the time invested.

• Visited April 2013
Milwaukee
“Good for lunch, not just wine”
Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

We wandered into this restaurant for lunch, while out exploring Bordeaux. What a nice find! The food had just a bit of continental flair instead of straight up French. I chose a vegetarian first course which included a curried soup, eggplant spread and a small slice of quiche. All were quite good. My husband's first course was chicken stuffed Spanish peppers. He loved the flavors. For my main course, I had calamari in a tomato, ginger, and sesame flavored broth, served with white rice. The calamari were tender and the flavors blended beautifully. . My husband had Boeuf en Daube and thoroughly enjoyed it. A great glass of wine and it was a lovely find in Bordeaux!

• Visited March 2013
Llansantffraid-ym-Mechain, United Kingdom
“waiting and waiting”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Welcomed by the chef, shown to our table, where we sat for 40mins without contact with anyone, eventually a young (over-worked) waiter bought us a menu and continued his dashing around serving 6 people, very frantic, he then bought us a bottle of water and a bread basket, we gave him our order, and waited another 20mins for our starter, the chef at this point decided to leave the bar and go into the kitchen, the food was very average, and by this time I'd lost my appetite, anyway it took just over 2 hrs to have our Sunday lunch and the final straw was that it cost over 60 euros (without a drink). The Madame made an error in asking me what I thought of the meal!!!
Would I recommend this restuarant, you must be joking.

• Visited September 2012
Aliso Viejo, California
“Fun way to taste wines”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

My husband and i really enjoyed this wine bar. They had 32 wines available to taste in three different portion sizes. All 32 wines are dispensed from an automated wine serving system called Enomatic. We got one 30 Euro card from the host and were able to both taste the smallest portion of each of the 8 Bordeaux red wines and then have a full glass of or favorite. Bring some paper and a pen to keep track of your favorites.

• Visited August 2012