“slightly dull”

Ranked #31 of 174 Hotels in Bordeaux
bolton
“slightly dull”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We have stayed here now three times over the years. It has taken me three visits to write a review because there isn't much to say about it.Yes it is a fairly good option. The location is good. It is clean and tidy. There Is nothing wrong with it, but it is a little dull. The staff are formal and a bit on the stuffy side. However they are not rude, just not overly friendly. We had a privilage room. Very large room, maybe too large as there isn't a lot in it! As a consequence it isn't very cosy. The bathroom was fairly small. The half bath/ shower combo not very good at all for a three star hotel. I am 6 foot and couldn't get under the shower without twisting and bending. If your not careful you exit the bath into the toilet bowl, put the lid down before bathing!The hotel is very quiet. You get a good nights sleep. So, it is OK. It Tries hard. It just doesn't feel very special.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed here for one night passing through Bordeaux. Stunning location, right in the centre, just a short walk from the river. Private garage really useful, though you might need assistance with the parking, it is tight. Fine room and beautiful bathroom. Very impressed with this old-style hotel. Highly recommended.

1 Thank JST001
Preston, Connecticut
Reviewed June 27, 2013

We couldn't have asked for a better location, a nicer room or friendlier staff. We stayed only one night but would have been comfortable there for a longer stay. Loved the balconies on our room with the floor to ceiling french doors. Quiet street. Private garage (make reservations for the garage as it is small), and free wifi. Breakfast was so so with no cooked choices and no fresh fruit. At 14 euro, it seemed too expensive. Otherwise I recommend the hotel to others who want to stay in the center of the city without having to fight the crowds when you go out the door. You are only one block from everything bot the block you are on is an oasis from the crowds.

1 Thank funtraveling_10
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a night on a business trip.

3 star hotel with a lot of historical French charm, tiny manual elevators, large brass keys and ancient French style bathroom.

The desk service was great, as soon as we arrived the receptionist on hearing my accent knew my name and a room had been allocated (it’s not course not computer based). Rooms were decent size and clean although slightly a bit worn out. If you like modem gadgets etc. – this probably isn’t for you.

Mini bar was properly stocked.

The bathroom was small and a bit old but clean, and I was not happy that shampoo wasn’t provided.

The Wifi connection was terrible; it took hours to log in and kept kicking me out, this was especially difficult as I was on a business trip.

Television is very olden school type and doesn’t have a wide selection of stations; I believe they only use the local French stations.

Now the best part of the hotel is location. It’s bang right in the middle of Bordeaux town centre! Opposite the hotel are amazing restaurants well priced, and the beautiful Grand Opera, the city centre with an amazing courtyard is also right in front of the hotel.

All in all it was a good stay and money's worth.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Adam T
Toronto
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Convenient location, very clean rooms, friendly staff, there is good parking nearby if the hotel parking is full. Its a beautiful city and I highly recommend Hotel Majestic. We stayed on 4th floor and it was quiet.

• Stayed June 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Reviewed June 23, 2013

How could you beat a hotel that is literally across the Grand Opera, a stone’s throw from the shoppers’ “ golden Triangle”, and a block from tourist’s office where a lot of bus tours start? Then there’s the several tram and bus stations a block away, numerous restaurants within a 10 minute walk. You do not need a car here if you are flexible on where you want to spend your leisure time.

Front staff all speak English, polite, and helpful. Rooms are standard for Europe, has a mini fridge that’s cold enough to put in your own purchase. There’s a supermarket in the basement of Grand Hommes ( the center of the Golden Triangle)Has free wifi with decent speed ( if you wish, there’s an Apple store right next to Grand Opera, you can’t miss it, on south side of Grand Opera).Room A/C is good, but bath’s water pressure can be better. My shower ( different configurations in different rooms) was too shallow, the handle of the shower door is right in line with the shower control structure leaving a narrower space right in the middle of the small shower. I asked for a quiet room facing the back, so I had to compromise.

District is very safe, nice to walk around. We sampled quite a few restaurants that I will write reviews separately.

We took a taxi from Bordeaux St Jean train station to hotel, all along the driver was yapping, but at the end refused to help me lift the luggage out of the trunk( nor put it in the first place) I therefore explored my option for the return trip. Very easily, I found that within a hundred yards of the hotel was a tram stop. For a mere 1.4 euros, it would go the 12 minute trip and deposit me right in front of the train station. These very spacious trams run every 6 minutes, and on my departure date, a Sunday morning, it slowed to every 15 minutes. Still, it’s so sensible. The trams are constructed that the gap between the platform is only an inch and is level, so no problem having to lift your luggage.

This makes my next trip to Bordeaux a no brainer

1 Thank tak3
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here during a quick trip to bordeaux as part of our honeymoon. The location was good and the staff were nice. The rooms were very small which was a bit of a problem with all of our luggage. Also, we like to have a tea in the evening before bed but couldn't as there was no kettle. We asked the staff and they did try to help us but unfortunately the water wasn't hot.

• Stayed May 2013