“Good hotel in a quiet district at a short distance from the city centre and from the riverbank”

Mercure Bordeaux Chateau Chartrons Hotel
Ranked #40 of 175 Hotels in Bordeaux
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We spent 4 nights at this hotel at the end of June.

The bedroom, overlooking the garden at the back of the building , was spacious, with a large and comfortable bed and a well-appointed bathroom. The decoration (red walls and green doors) might not be to everybody's taste but the modern lamps provided a warm evening atmosphere.

Every day, we walked to the city centre which took just over 20 minutes. The riverbank is nearer - a ten minute walk away.

After a whole day of sightseeing, we ate each evening in the hotel restaurant (there are no other restaurants in the vicinity). There was a fair selection of dishes but the food was ordinary, especially by French standards.

The hotel staff in the reception, restaurant and bar were courteous and attentive.
However, our experience at breakfast was less satisfactory. On 2 days, there was no more cooked food in the hot buffet although we had arrived soon after 8 am. The staff were reluctant to provide more scrambled eggs, for instance. The waitress told us that she was awaiting delivery. If true, this shows very poor management. Similarly, supplies of bacon and sausages had run out.

Although there was a sufficient number of staff at breakfast, we felt neglected. The staff seemed to be busy but their activities were not directed towards the needs of the guests. For instance, tables were not cleared although the place was far from full, and guests were left to fend for themselves.

The evening service was of a much higher standard.

Despite the problems encountered at breakfast, we enjoyed our stay and we would be quite happy to make a future visit.

Room Tip: Our bedroom was number 336 - third floor overlooking the garden at the back. It was extremely quiet...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Sophie R, Directrice at Mercure Bordeaux Chateau Chartrons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Sir,
Thank you very much for your comments on your last stay in our hotel.
It is always a pleasure to read good remarks.
However, we are sorry for inconvenients met during the breakfast.
Looking forward to receiving you next time
Sophie ROBERT

Reviewed July 1, 2013

1. My room telephone was not working. Although I never use, the working telephone does plays an important part when come to emergency. please initiate a plan to ensure that the telephone is working before every check-in,
2. The toilet often gets wet after shower. I feel uneasy each time I step out of the toilet because the carpet will get wet. Perhaps you can consider putting a piece of water absorbent material just outside the toilet for the guess to dry their legs,
3. My room is linked to another room because I can see a door. In my first check-in, I not sure the door is locked or not so I did a check on whether I can open the door in order to confirm that it is locked. Suggest to put a label beside the door lock to indicate that it is at ‘locked’ position,
4. The quality of the pillow is very poor. It is too ‘thin’ for my head to rest on it and therefore I have to stack two of them. Please use a thicker pillow,
5. Because of the thin pillow, I requested for another pillow to be issued to me during the time when the room is in service. Later I found that the pillow was not given to me and I didn’t request again,
6. Sometime the room service request (eg: I request for one more pillow) may not be successful because of many reasons. I would suggest issuing a small sheet of paper (Room Service Request Sheet, or RSRS) in the room. The guess can use this RSRS to do the following examples:
i) To fill up the request to get 1 more pillow and put it at the service counter. This will save me time when I am in the rush and need not explain to the counter personnel,
ii) To request for laundry service for my clothes by putting the sheet on the stacks of my clothes in my room,
7. There wasn’t any spoon in the room. Only two wooden sticks for us to steer the coffee/tea. It will be good if there is at least one spoon.
Please note that in order to provide better service, you need to pay attention to very small little things.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
Thank you for taking the time to share us your mind on your stay in our hotel.
We apologize for the inconvenients which you met.
Your appreciations is for us very important, they allow us to improve the quality of our services and to meet the expectations of our customers .
Regards

Reviewed May 16, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in May 2013. The front desk staff were charming and very helpful, particularly the young man at reception who was efficient and friendly. However, the hotel they work in diminished the overall experience they were working so hard to create. The hotel is certainly not worth its 4 star rating.
The location was way out of the city centre in a fairly down-at-heel neighbourhood and I didn't feel that safe walking back there after 9pm. Buses from the hotel only go into the city centre and not back to the hotel because of the one way system and if you're new to Bordeaux then having to work this out is a problem. The nearest tram stop was a good 15 minute brisk walk past drunks and druggies, which was not ideal.
The room was large, but ours smelt slightly of dog (the French for some reason allow pets into carpeted hotel rooms), and it was extremely dark, the walls being papered in a dirty streaked red colour, with dark green doors and heavy curtains - nothing airy or fresh feeling here. I found the room very oppressive and the only option of changing was too a dark beige, lower category and much smaller room. In addition, the air conditioning simply did not cool the room but just buzzed. We could open the windows but the street was noisy. I opened the windows to get some air into the room early one morning but had to listen to endless arrivals and departures of tour buses and their revving engines outside the hotel and people chatting as they boarded their buses. A complete nightmare. The room felt dilapidated, with scuffed skirting boards and doors. The shower had no seal on the door so we had to use our towels to mop up water on the floor.
The free wifi was barely functional with a very weak signal on any laptop or mobile phone and had an endless advertising based 'front end' which was immensely frustrating. The lobby of the hotel looked like a storeroom and the corridors were dark and dismal.
No doubt the hotel manager will write yet another ineffective reply to this review as she has done for others on this site, but she really needs to manage the hotel from the customer experience end of things.
Ideas: perhaps provide guests with a free daily tram pass to offset the hassle of getting to the city centre; tell them also about the fantastic city bicycle hire system.
I would never stay there again. We moved to a different hotel in the city centre for 3 more nights which was less expensive but clean, quiet, comfortable and with a fantastic breakfast included.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vagues23
Sophie R, Directrice at Mercure Bordeaux Chateau Chartrons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Sir,
I really sorry that you did not like our hotel.
We are doing our best to satisfy all our custemers, that is the reason why our hotel is classified 27 on 180 on tripadvisor.
We hope nevertheless that you enjoyed your stay in Bordeaux.
Yours sincerelly.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Nice hotel with clean comfortable room and large comfy bed. Good bathroom with good shower. Decor rather garish but that seems to be the style in France. Rather a long walk from town centre, we visited on a very warm day and although the receptionist at the hotel said it was a twenty minute walk in reality it´s a good 40 minutes. In fairness there are tram stops nearby but we thought it would be nice to walk along the river - it was hard going in the heat!
We had the express breakfast in the bar which was really good value at 7 Euro.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paynterman
Sophie R, Manager at Mercure Bordeaux Chateau Chartrons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share us your mind on your stay in our hotel.
My team and I really appreciate it and we are very happy that you enjoyed our hotel.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

This is a good location. Its an easy 20 min walk into town.There are two Tram stops 5 minutes away and you are in town in another 5. standard rooms are small,and there is not a lot of wardrobe space. Which was a challege as we were staying 6 nights.The staff are very helpful and friendly ,alll speaking good english. Its clean and well maintained.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Matt960
Sophie R, Manager at Mercure Bordeaux Chateau Chartrons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share us your mind on your stay in our hotel.
My team and I really appreciate it and we are very happy that you enjoyed your trip in Bordeaux.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Stayed here for one night as part of a tour. Food in restaurant was mice. Shower in bathroom was good. Bed was comfortable. Good to have free wi fi, although was unable to get on for approx. 4 hours so there may have been a lot of traffic.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comments on your last stay in our hotel.
It is always a pleasure to read good remarks and I was very happy to be able to congratulate my staff.
Looking forward to receiving you next time

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This hotel is short distance from the main attraction in Bordeaux. Rooms have been renovated, too bad chosen colors are not really trendy with red and green for carpet and walls, therefore, quite dark. Nevertheless, bathroom was very operational and clean. Restaurant serves dinner until 10.00PM which is convenient. Regular hotel chain food: Good prices, decent quality.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank CathGrandvaux
Sophie R, Directrice at Mercure Bordeaux Chateau Chartrons Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013