“Tour Ophorus Grand Cru Château & St Emilion 60€”

Ophorus Bordeaux Wine Day Tours
Bordeaux Shore Excursion: Private St-Emilion Half-Day Trip
Ranked #4 of 70 Food & Drink in Bordeaux
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Your Bordeaux wine tour specialist. Since 2008, our company has been the first to offer very small group scheduled and private wine tours to the Medoc, Saint Emilion, Graves and Sauternes wine regions. All tours are conducted by accredited and fully licensed English speaking professional wine guides that hold the WSET level 2. All tours are for a maximum of 8 passengers and take place on board recent, comfortable and fully equipped Mercedes minivans. We also provide documents and...bottled water!
Paris, France
“Tour Ophorus Grand Cru Château & St Emilion 60€”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I loved the tour and our guide Isabelle was very kind, her English was clear (I'm Swiss and speak French but the other were English speakers) and she explained very well many interesting details. I'll certanily do another tour next time. Holta

Visited April 2013

Tours, France
“St. Emilion wine tour near Bordeaux”
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Our group took the six-hour visit to St. Emilion. Marie was our guide and her knowledge of the Bordelais region was incredible. We went to the Château de Fonplegade and had a very educational wine tasting. Marie then took us on a tour of the underground church and catacombs in the town, she made it all come to life. The van was very comfortable, and Marie was charming and very knowledgeable. Ask for her if you take the St. Emilion tour.

Visited March 2013
Canada
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 54 helpful votes
“Highlight of our trip to Bordeaux!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A friend and I booked on the full day St. Emilion day tour and we were not disappointed. Boris picked us up as planned, and we were joined by another couple and a young woman travelling by herself. He went out of his way to make everyone feel welcome, share his knowledge of the area, and his passion for the local wine. We started with a drive to St. Emilion, where we visited the Lannoye winery and were given an extensive and fantastic tour of the vineyards (which are now organic) and cellars by the proprietress. We then sampled several wines and cheese and we ushered away again to the town of St. Emilion. After a brief showing around and a few suggestions for places to eat we had free time to explore, eat and drink. We then had another tasting at a local wine shop with several more wines consumed, and then were shuttled to the Chateau de Salles winder, which has been in the same family for over 500 years. Another extensive tour and tasting followed. Boris dropped us off back in Bordeaux at the end of it all with even more pointers about where to go and what to see. We couldn't recommend it more!

Visited March 2013
hawaii
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 73 helpful votes
“A disappointment”
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We were on a recent cruise that stopped in to Bordeaux, docking on the river in the center of town. Because of the tides our ship arrived an hour late. We had previously arranged with Ophorus Bordeaux Wine Tours for a day tour to St Emilion and a winery and were very much looking forward to this tour. Imagine our disappointment when we disembarked and there was no one from Ophorus to be found. Other passengers were collected by their various tour guides from different companies but they all told us that they had seen no representative from Ophorus. One of the other companies let us use their cell phone and when we reached Ophorus, they told us that their agent had left because we weren't there.
This excuse is not acceptable. Running a tour company in Bordeaux that regularly handles cruise ship itineraries they have to be aware of the river's tides and it is also easy to check with port authorities. If they had waited a few minutes they would have seen our ship approaching in the distance. All the other companies agents were waiting for their clients.
As you can imagine this ruined our day and it was difficult to substitute our tour at this late time. We managed a short version in the afternoon, which was shear luck, and saw very little of St Emilion which looked a charming little town. Plus we had to argue with the company before they would refund us.
I would advise you to be very careful if you decide to use this company. There are many other good companies in Bordeaux.

Visited October 2012
4 Thank jazz15
ophorus, Manager at Ophorus Bordeaux Wine Day Tours, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear valued customer I have received your review and understand your disappointment as I personally know how frustrating it is to be left alone in a foreign destination, having experienced this myself. That is why at Ophorus we dread to encounter this situation and do all that is possible to avoid it.
Concerning your shore excursion. First of all, it appears that your ship on that day was not one hour late due to the tide but had in fact modified its overall program as we later found out. In theory, a program modification does not change much for us as we are very reactive and can adapt to these modifications as long as one keeps us informed. Unfortunately, this vital information was not passed on to our services and it resulted in this unpleasant situation. Common decency would have it that one should inform us of any modification prior to a tour – even on the day of the tour – and in fact most of our clients do so in case of such an event. It is for this reason that all travel documents issued by our company bear an emergency number (24/7), which in fact you finally used on that day once your ship had docked 2 ½ hours after the time that had been agreed upon.

Secondly, you wrote that you had to argue with the company before obtaining a refund. There was in fact no argument at all it is just that the person you talked to at the office could not take that type of decision. Once I was informed, your refund was made on the same day as a commercial gesture. Our terms and conditions, which you had agreed upon, are clear in that your situation could be related to a no show that usually incurs no refund at all.

Finally, you also wrote that one should be careful if they decide to use the service of my company as there are many other companies in Bordeaux. You are correct, there are many other companies in Bordeaux. Personally, I do not see why clients should be careful in choosing Ophorus. My team and I strive to hand out the best possible service. We are professionals of the tourism trade and this is proven by the many positive reviews we receive and I would like to thank our clients for this.

P.S. By the way, your afternoon tour to Saint Emilion was handled by our company and Boris your tour guide that afternoon indicated that you thoroughly enjoyed it !

Kind regards,
Christophe Delpech
Sao Paulo
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great experience”
Reviewed November 28, 2012

My wife and I went on 3 wine discovery tours around Bordeaux with Ophorus on a (surprisingly) warm November.
Our guide, Boris, picked us up at our hotel (precisely) at 9am and drove us to the Medoc region. He welcomed us with a warm "Bom dia". It was nice surprise to find out that our guide speaks our language fluently. I loved when he gave us maps of each region of Bordeaux and started to explain all details of each region (history, major chateaux, average property size, anual production, what kind of wine they make, which are his favourites, etc), he drove pointing out important sights, explaining their historical importance etc.
In Pauillac he recommended us to have lunch in a small local restaurant before driving to Margaux. I mentioned I've heard great things about this Michelin 2-star restaurant called Château Cordeillan Bages, but I understood reservation were mandatory so I wouldn't mind going somewhere else. I was baffled, then, when he promplty called the Cordeillan Bages, telling them we were close by, asked if they could receive a couple for lunch and if they could prepare a special degustation menu that would allow us to sample their couisine in 90 min... 5 min later, we were seated for a great meal.
We spent the first day with Boris in Medoc and our second day at St. Emilion / Pomerol. We didn't book any trip for our last day in Bordeaux because we needed to catch a train back to Paris and were afraid we wouldn't arrive back to Bordeaux in time. However, Boris assured that if we checked out of the hotel early in the morning, leaving our luggage in the car, he could arrange a trip to Sauterne and leave us at the train station in time. He made all the arrangements, booking all chateau visits and allowing to visit the 3rd and last of the great wine regions of Bordeaux.
I could not be more enthusiastic on recommending Ophorus and Boris to anyone travelling to Bordeaux.

Visited November 2012