“Bordeaux wine travel”

Ranked #17 of 78 Food & Drink in Bordeaux
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We recently had an excellent tour with Oliver of Bordeaux Wine Travel. I emailed Henri a few weeks before arriving on a cruise ship out at Le Verdon (which is about 2 hours from Bordeaux). He suggested a tour of the Medoc region. Everything turned out as agreed and even better because we had a such delightful tour guide. Oliver was very informative and not just about wines but the history, geography, etc.. He was fun and funny. All and all it was a great day and a highlight of our cruise. Merci!!

All reviews
"river cruise"
"highlight of our trip"
"private tour"
in 3 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I contacted Henri a couple weeks before we arrived in Bordeaux. We were very lucky that he was available on short notice (he was booked the next several weeks after we left).

I gave Henri an idea of what we were looking for -- either one or two full day tours for six of us in Bordeaux where we could get a good breadth of tastings, as well as some pretty sights and a few high-quality wines. I explained our knowledge ran from somewhat experienced to novice and we would be relying on his expertise since none of us were knowledgable about Bordeaux.

He did not disappoint. His first reply to my email gave a personal detailed account of what he would put together, including price and a few clarifying questions for me. It was clearly not a form-letter response like many I had seen from other tours. After confirming with my travel companions, we opted for two full-day tours, one on the left bank and one on the right.

We were very pleased with both tours, and we all felt like Henri's knowledge and the selections he made for English-speaking tours were great. All six of us learned a good bit. We toured and tasted at six chateaus and viewed several that were notable from an architectural or wine (first growths, etc.) standpoint. The chateaus were different in history, wine styles and wine making styles and the tours were informative for all. We also tasted at a wine shop with a wonderful tasting and purchasing selection that was able to ship directly back to the US for us.

My guess is that the negative reviews Henri has received could have been avoided by communication up front of exactly what you want and any clarifying questions you have and he will set it up for you. I have been on several wine tours and this was the best I've seen, and on only two weeks' notice.

Thanks again for a great couple days Henri!

Reviewed October 21, 2012

I've been on lots of wine tours in the USA and South America, but nothing compared to what I experienced in my 2 days in Bordeaux. I contacted Henri with Bordeaux Wine Travel to see if he could help me set up some interesting tours. We conversed back and forth and I felt comfortable in booking with him, so I did. I then later found out that he used to be the sommelier for the Prime Minister. I figured that I couldn't ask for a better guide than a sommelier so I had him book the tours for me. He sent me a list of wineries in the Medoc region for the first day and a list for St. Emilion/Pomerol area for the second day. I reviewed them, read about each one of them and did my homework. They all seemed (as far as I could tell) to be superb. Henri also arranged for lunch for both days at wonderful restaurants.

The harvest was going on during my visits so I was very lucky to see the whole process in action. It was amazing to see everything from start to finish and the little difference there is from vineyard to vineyard. Henri was great about answering questions that I had or filling in the blanks.

We were welcomed by everyone at the Chateaus that we visited and everyone was hospitable and informative. Henri picked me up at my hotel each day and was always on time and had cold water in the van for me. I never felt rushed by Henri, on any of the tours that we were on. He has such a vast knowledge on wines from around the world it was wonderful just to sit and talk with him and pick his brain.

I liked that I didn’t have to pay for the tours in advance or put down a deposit, in fact I paid once my 2 day tours were over. I would recommend Henri for any wine tour and I plan on going back in Feb 2013 and booking with Henri again.
Keep up the awesome work Henri, see you soon! You rock!

1  Thank MMooreKingwoodTX
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Henri took us around in Sauterne and Saint Emilion. Our hotel made the appointments so we were just looking for a driver and we got much more than that. Henri was not only the most competitive in price (with no deposits or wire transfers), he is extremely knowledgeable and well connected in the area. He gave us a great tour while driving and simply accommodated the day to fit everything we wanted. THANK YOU HENRI!

See more reviews
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We enjoyed our tour of Medoc Wine country with Henri in September 2012. We made plans with Henri and he provided very useful information over the initial emails.
He didn't request any deposit or pre-payment (as did another company I was in touch with) and took our word (emails) as final confirmation.
Henri picked us up from the hotel on the day of the trip, he was on time, well prepared, had cold water bottles in his cooler. He gave us tons of information about the area, wines, etc. Our tour was informative, entertaining, tasty. One of the wineries was fantastic, the person who gave us a tour and tasting there had a great rapport with Henri and it was such a priviledge to be part of their wine discussion.
The only disappointment was he couldn't get us an appointment at the First Growth winery though I thought we had enough time in advance. But that aside, we enjoyed the tour and Henri's presentation very much and recommend him.

1  Thank kiramoli