“Sylvain is the best!”

La Villa - Bordeaux Chambres d'hotes
Ranked #1 of 95 Bordeaux B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 25, 2013

Although the drive into Bordeaux may give rise to some apprehension about the city, once you are greeted by Sylvain and are inside the doors of La Villa you know you have found a wonderful place to stay in the heart of the city. Just a short walk from the tram and the pedestrian way, the location is perfect for exploring Bordeaux.
The rooms are large and comfortable, the breakfasts are sumptuous and Sylvain is the consumate host. For example, when we wanted to share a bottle of wine with friends we met there, he not only provided glasses for us, but also snacks to go along with it. Further, he is a fountain of information about Bordeaux and the surrounding area, and is always eager to share his knowledge with his guests.
While parking can be a problem in the area, just let Sylvain know you are coming by car and he will reserve parking in the courtyard of the property.
Having owned La Villa for only one year, Sylvain has maintained it as an oasis of tranquility and solitude in the heart of Bordeaux.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sailorman1814

Reviewed October 9, 2013

We loved our stay. Sylvain is a charming and generous host - his breakfasts are legendary. Our room was a lovely size and well presented. It was a little airless when the temperature and humidity rose but as we were out every moment exploring this beautiful city it was a minor complaint. As the house is at one end of the city, it is necessary to go a little way to see most of the top sights. We chose to walk everywhere and found ourselves getting to know the historic centre quite quickly. The architecture is beautiful and Sylvain provided us with advice on what to see and places to eat. His recommendations were always great. Without him we wouldn't have seen the amazing museum of Contemporary Art, nor dined in a terrific little restaurant run by a local man and his Japanese chef wife. Great food. We ate oysters at the market, went to the ritzy grand hotel for a drink and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. A wonderful 4 days and a great place to stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Valerie C
Reviewed October 4, 2013

I write a lot of reviews on trip advisor (I travel a lot for work), and I have to say, this is one of my absolute favorite places that I've stayed ever. I'd give it 6 stars if I could.

First, the B&B was amazing. I'd come back in after a long day out in Bordeaux (a few days touring and a few days at a conference), usually with some food I bought from the supermarket about 5 minutes away. I'd unpack my food and sit outside, listening to the birds, to the family next door talk over dinner as they ate outside (with their adorable children), and the sounds of French life. The B&B is very private - people can't see you and you can't see them - but you can still get a sense of life in France tucked back behind the blue doors that lead from the street. The common areas are beautiful and my room was fantastic. I stayed in Mauriac, which is a new room on the bottom level. The room was comfortable, with good air conditioning and good lighting. More than that, it was decorated beautifully and just made me feel at home.

The breakfasts are amazing. Croissants, chocolate croissants, and bread with lots of different jams - plus one cold dish and one hot dish every morning. My first morning, the hot dish was a baked pear filled with dark chocolate - just decadent! Plus coffee, tea and lots of juice. You will love breakfast here. Most of it is homemade - I came back in the afternoon one day and could smell the chocolate croissants cooking - heavenly.

The location is amazing. You are a 3-minute walk from Old Bordeaux. You are in a very safe neighborhood - a little bit working class, but with great character! There's a little cafe/bar that you pass as you go to Old Bordeaux and there's always a small group sitting at one of the tables, talking and laughing. I travel as a single female and I never felt anything but perfectly safe. Plus, you want to be in walking distance of Old Bordeaux. It is simply stunning - I've never seen anything like it. Everywhere you turn, you see a 14th century church or an immense gate to the city built in the 1700s or some other amazing site. At this B&B, you can just walk about the door and immerse yourself. In addition, Sylvian gives you a great map of the area and suggests multiple walking itineraries - helping you find some hidden treasures. For example, I took his route to the flea market and found a lovely kitchen shop and bought some gorgeous French linens - and then found a wonderful find for my husband at the flea market.

Finally, Sylvian is a consummate professional who will fix any problem. When I first arrived, he told me that they were having trouble with the internet in my room, but it should be fine in the common areas. I explained that I was going to have to be working during my stay, sometimes late at night, and I had to have reliable internet access in my room - not just the common areas. I know this is not the usual situation - most people are in Bordeaux for vacation, not work - but Sylvian found a solution right away. For me, the real test of a lodging is not how they do under easy conditions, but how they perform when problems arise - and Sylvian was fantastic.

Really, I have nothing negative at all to say. This B&B is an amazing bargain - perched right on the edge of Old Bordeaux, with an amazing host and heavenly breakfasts. Skip the hotel and stay in a place where you can catch some of the sights and sounds of real French life.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank everglades_gal
Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had a superb and very enjoyable stay with Sylvian in his relatively new accommodation. A very attentive host who serves up scrumptious breakfasts of home made produce. The room was very clean, well maintained and just what the Doctor ordered. We'll definitely come back...

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We took all 4 rooms our room Garonne was well appointed with an extremely comfortable bed and very quiet. The breakfasts were just mouth watering.The owner could not have done more to make our stay better.

Room Tip: The 3 most expensive rooms are the ones to go for.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank peter c
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We (a family 6) stayed in 3 of Sylvain's rooms in July 2013. It was a delightful 2 day visit in Bordeaux. Sylvain was an excellent host and provided a lovely place for us to relax when the town had exhausted us. The location is excellent with the Old town just 100m away. There are some some very good bistros at the entrance to the old town also which Sylvain suggested. Breakfast, as other guests have noted, is excellent and our children loved the constant additions to the breakfast table as they ate their way through the various courses. Sylvain even organised an early breakfast for us the morning of our departure. I cannot recommend it highly enough if you want an apartment-like feel but a host to deal with breakfast and questions. Thank you Sylvain!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank KCMorgs
Reviewed August 13, 2013

sylvain is a very nice person,,that"s all....
our room "porte de la lune" smell of humidity a lot
they put air condition , there is ventilation, they provide deodorants but there is a bad smell of humidity all over ( this room was a garage probably)
on the second day we realized they do not make up your bed , nor change towels !!! only after asking , they gave us new towels.....
they call it Spa,,but it's a old hot tab only placed in the garden
avoid to drink their orange juice at breakfast..it's simply disgusting.....
I called Sylvain on the phone a few days before my arrival (by car) and he should mention that the streets nearby are closed due to serious works,,,we wasted a lot of time before finding a way to get there,,,

Room Tip: avoid the 2 rooms on the ground floor
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Maurizio S
françois D, Owner at La Villa - Bordeaux Chambres d'hotes, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

WAOUH !!!! What a surprising comment and how many discrepencies between your attitude during your 2-day-stay (you seemed very happy when you left) and this description … At first sight, I was very confused but I read your comments on other hotels and I finally consider to be lucky in comparison with them… May be you have different scale of values or you are not very familiar with this kind of accomodation so different in comparison with big hotels.

For more details on your comment, I’m happy you appreciate my personnality, but I must confess that I do not understand your other points :
1- the room : I think you have been quite disappointed not to obtain the bigger room that was already booked when you asked for it. Concerning the cleaning of the room, I recall you that on the second day you came back early in the afternoon before we had time to ‘make your bed’ because of the other check-in of the day. I proposed you to clean your room while you were in the SPA (see below) but you were angry and refused my proposition. Concerning the towels, most of the hotels change them when it’s required by the client. You wanted them to be changed and all of them (4 towels for 2 peoples) have been changed. What is the issue ?
2- the SPA : how can you qualify the SPA as ‘old hot tab’ and spend more than 40 minutes using it ? Most of customers appreciate it and it’s quite rare in the center of Bordeaux to have a garden that make possible that kind of service.
3- the 'disgusting' orange juice : I’m sorry you did not appreciate my orange juice, but how can you reduice the breakfast into a ‘disgusting orange juice’. We use to propose a kind of french brunch in the morning and most of our customers appreciate it (see other comments). Moreover, I remember very well that you not only ate your breakfast but also the specific one I had to prepare at last minute to your wife because you thought that she would not appreciate the dish I had prepared for everybody. So, may be you did not appreciate the juice, but you did appreciate a lot the rest of the food. It would have been fair to mention it.
4- the works in the street : La Villa was not accessible by Place de la Victoire but it was easy to reach it by the perpendicular streets of the avenue. I’m sorry if you have been a little bit confused with these works, but I do not remember you arrived late for the check-in time we defined together.