“Heavy Country French Meal”
Review of Le Plat a Oreilles - CLOSED

Le Plat a Oreilles
Cuisines: French
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed December 20, 2013

I came here because of Trip Advisor. While I was not disappointed, I did not leaving feeling like this was as over the top amazing to justify a #2 spot on Trip Advisor. Here are key points to ponder...

1. My party was able to walk in an get a table without reservations on a cool, December night after 8 p.m. You probably should get reservations, but the location is close enough to other restaurants, that if you walk by and miss, you won't starve.
2. The food is very hearty and heavy. If you like to eat creamy (lots of butter), rich meals that really fill you up, this is a good option. No one ever left this place hungry. My party enjoyed the pork dish with carrots and potatoes, but found the beef cheek a bit salty, and the salmon simply good, but not amazing. The desserts are off the charts spectacular.
3. The service requires patience. While the restaurant had only ten tables, one lady (probably the proprietor), waited on everyone and bussed tables!! She was as efficient and energetic as one person can be, but there were definite gaps and lags. When we arrived, there was no one to greet us, and it was a bit awkward for a few moments.

In conclusion, you cannot go wrong here, but it is not quite five stars.

1  Thank mbc421

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We chose this restaruant as it had such good reviews on TA, we were not disappointed. Its quite difficult to find so dont give up on finding it,its worth it.
I had the beef cheek and my father had the pork stew. Both were excellent meals and very reasonably priced.
this is a family operation, the husband in the kitchen and the wife is front of house, family farmhouse cooking and acording to them they have been there 21 years.
if you had one night in bordeaux and wanted an authentic French experience, i would suggest this house. Thankyou very much for a great night

1  Thank Seamus C
Reviewed December 1, 2013

This restaurant serves excellent stews with sauce that just begs you to reach for the bread bowl. Between the four of us we had the lamb, rabbit and beef cheeks. It makes you feel as if you are in a country auberge rather than a city centre. It was a cold November evening so hit the spot.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We picked Le plat a oreilles on the basis of the strong reviews here and weren't disappointed. Food was great, especially once I picked some of the specials. We liked all the food, but were particularly impressed by the stews of Rabbit and pork (and I'm not usually a pork eater). Great sauces, and very flavorful meals. Deserts didn't blow us away as much, but were good. We ate there on a friday night and many people were turned away disappointed (Bordeaux is full of small 20-25p seatings which book up so make reservations!).

1  Thank Rachel Z
Reviewed November 11, 2013

My partner and I were at first overwhelmed with the amount of restuarants in Bordeaux! Wow! However, we were more than satisfied with our entire experience, quality of food and service in this restuarant. Atmosphere was second to none and I even got help with my Francais ! Will most definetely be returning. Thankyou and well done.