“So you're jetlagged and tired”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Gavroche

Le Gavroche
Ranked #5 of 1,426 Restaurants in Strasbourg
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Krutenau Nord Ouest
just outside of NYC
“So you're jetlagged and tired”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

If you're lucky like us, you've booked reservations at Gavroche and your troubles go away. very cozy, the host and hostess were omnipresent without being overbearing, and the food was exquisite from the first bite of the amuse-bouche to fighting with my wife over the last bite of our chocolate dessert. Like I said, we sat for dinner the night after a red-eye flight and multiple connections... and 3 hours of dining felt like a true pleasure.

2 Thank error403

• Polish first
Bethesda, Maryland
“Worthy of Its Star”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My third meal at Le Gavroche over the past five years was last week. The restaurant was recently awarded its first star by Michelin, and it clearly merits that distinction. There is not much I can add to previous positive reviews except to say we were there for almost 3.5 hours, immersed in good food, fine wines (Chorey-Les-Beaune and Volnay), and friendly conversation - and the time passed without not icing. That type of comfort in enjoying an evening meal is the kind of experience difficult to find in countries other than France.

1 Thank jml3
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best foie gras ever!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

On a recent visit to Strasbourg, France my wife and I had one of the best restaurant experiences of our lives! We followed advice from Trip Advisor and found our way to the #1 rated French restaurant, Le Gavroche. We were fortunate, as the European Parliament was meeting in Strasbourg for their annual proceedings, and every good restaurant was filled to capacity. However, just prior to our walking through the door, someone had canceled and we were fortunate enough to get a table. The restaurant environment is contemporary, clean and very comfortable but the highlight of our experience was the food and service. Even without a reservation we were warmly welcomed and made to feel as if we were long lost friends. Natalie came to the table and I asked a question regarding the foie gras if it was served as a pate or a warm appetizer. She said it was a pate. Natalie asked what my preference was and I said that it was warm. She said "I will ask my husband" and went to the kitchen. When she returned she said no problem and both my wife and I ordered the foie gras. I order foie gras every time it is on the menu and I have ordered it often as we lived in Europe for 20 years and I have been in the restaurant industry for 40 years. This was the best foie gras I have ever eaten! Hands-down perfection! We worked our way through a delicious meal and enjoyed several conversations with Natalie and Benoit (the gracious owners) as we relived the great memories from our many years of traveling in France. We had not reserved a room and the issue of the European Parliament certainly complicated the chance of finding one anywhere near Strasbourg. No problem for Natalie however, as she was able to get us into a perfect hotel within walking distance of the restaurant. Now that's service! This restaurant deserves every accolade it receives on Trip Advisor and our experience was so incredible that we made plans to return for lunch on our way back to Zürich, Switzerland for our flight home. That too, was another perfect experience (more foie gras of course!) and we are looking forward to returning to Europe sometime soon and plan on spending a few days in Strasbourg in order to enjoy some additional meals at Le Gavroche. Whenever you are in Strasbourg do not miss this restaurant!

Terry Smith

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Marcia S
Sydney, Australia
“Worth all the praise written here”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I wanted somewhere special for the last night of our European vacation and La Gavroche was the excellent choice.

It started with a warm and personable welcome from Benoit upon arrival.

Every dish was creatively presented and tasted delicious. There are only 9 tables and we were the first to arrive at 7:30. The place was buzzing by 8 and full by 8:30. Most appeared to be locals and at least one other table was tourists.

The beef with foie gras poulete was superb. I thought I has died and gone to heaven when the chocolate dessert came out.

The wine list is 100% French with only a slight bias towards Alsace.

Value for money is about right. You can certainly dine for less in Strasbourg, but I doubt you could dine better.

2 Thank Peter G
London, United Kingdom
“My favourite restaurant”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

I re-visted Le Gavroche with my French husband and 2 English friends recently, the first time since Nathalie and Benoit received their michelin star. It has long been a favourite and continues to be so. The meal was fabulous, with unusual ingredients of very good quality and perfectly cooked. The service is delightful and attentive and Nathalie made a good job of presenting the dishes in English, including the 12 different cheeses on the cheese plate. The restaurant is small, but to my mind that only adds to the charm. We will definitely be going again. If you want to go, get organised and book in advance as it can be difficult to get a table.