“Great Alsatian grub”

Neighborhood: Mairie Sud
London, United Kingdom
“Great Alsatian grub”
Reviewed January 21, 2013

We loved this restaurant! Right by the cathedral, it is situated down some steps and underground. A bit difficult to spot - look out for the red awning.

The food was spot on, we ate traditional Alsatian dishes - the pork braised in beer and Strasbourgeoise potato rosti with the local sausage were particularly good. The portions were - as we had come to expect in Strasbourg - massive! So much so that we struggled to finish our main course - even without having a starter!

We even went back a second time because we enjoyed it so much, which I think says it all. Also price-wise it was good value.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank juliabaileyis

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Paris, France
“Perfect for local Alsatian cuisine in character setting”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

Ok. I am not really a big fan of lots of Pork, Sauerkraut and Cheesy potatoes. At least not on a regular basis. I do like the occasional hot dog with wurst and sauerkraut but I just know how my body would look if I ate this stuff all the time. If you are going to check out the traditional cuisine of the Alsace region though, then this is a great place to do it. Yes, there are smaller establishments with better cuisine and other international fusions in Strasbourg but they are for another night. This place is what it is and doesn't try to be different.
It is a big cavernous underground venue, divided in to more intimate areas. This is half the reason you go there, to check out the architecture to sit and ponder the history of the place and wonder about the stories the walls could tell. The other reason is the food. For the size of the place I imagine they are churning out quite a volume from large kitchens but there is nothing wrong with that. They do the expected popular traditional dishes and do it very well. We had eaten Tarte Flambe the day before so didn't have the Flammekueche. It is like a thin pizza base with various toppings. Instead our table of five tried the Roestis, the Baeckhoffe and the Choucroute Alsacienne. Rostis, as we know them, are served in a cast iron pan, mine the Strasbourgeoise with Knack ( a traditional Alsace sausage), creme fraiche and cheese. I don't think I managed to finish it. That could be because I also picked at some of the Sauerkraut, potatoes and meats that came on my wife's Choucroute plate...massive. The Baeckoffe is a big...stew.. Again, served in the cast iron pot it had 3 meats and veggies and filled a healthy young man.
Service was great. Friendly and helpful. I have noticed in Strasbourg that the waitstaff are a little younger than Paris and it might be due to it being a University town with a lot of students working to pay their way. Still, we didn't have any problems anywhere.
It was great to walk out of the place on a cold winter's night and be staring straight at the lit up Cathedral. So romantic and awe inspiring.
I would sum this place up with the word HEARTY!

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank DesHarris
Munich, Germany
“Nice restaurant”
Reviewed January 4, 2013

We made reservations for a Monday evening, but when we arrived there was no one in the restaurant. Which worked out well for us, as we were an hour late for our reservation due to road construction traffic. The staff was very understanding. The food was good, the atmosphere was unique and nice. My kids loved eating in a cave. It was a nice location to downtown also.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank Mooommm
Brussels, Belgium
“Cardiac arrest”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Enjoyed many lovely meals at "the hoft".Mountains of potatoes and cheese served in different ways, its as solid as the cathedral outside.Rumour is Hitler himself used to eat here.

3 Thank TheNick101
Launceston, Australia
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Even though this restaurant is large, the atmosphere is cosy and welcoming. The service was very good and the food, including some great local delicacies, was first-rate.

• Visited June 2012