“Good restaurant, worth a visit, my choice was not good” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Au Renard Prechant

Au Renard Prechant
Ranked #63 of 1,415 Restaurants in Strasbourg
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Krutenau Nord Ouest
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Good restaurant, worth a visit, my choice was not good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

We were staying in an apartment in Krutenau, which is a subirb of Strasbourg, and the restaurant was one block away...

The atmosphere is pleasant. The only problem was we arrived at 7 p.m. (19:00), the restaurant was empty for another half an hour. That was a bit uncomfortable.

As "entree" I had "Salade aux chêvre et munster frits", I thought we could share it with my wife, but she thought the fried cheese was too much for her. I liked it, but it was on the heavy side.
For main course I ordered "Filet mignon aux trois fromages" (pork), I found it was a bit chewy. (not happy with it.) My wife had "Quenelles de foie, pommes sautées, salade verte", she loved it.

For dessert we shared Mousse au chocolat, which was just fine.

All and all, I can recommend going to this restaurant, good food, pleasant atmosphere, good service

• Visited February 2013
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

• Greek first
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
“Way Too Big a Dose of French Attitude”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

My husband and I dined at this restaurant on a not-very-busy night November 28th. The restaurant is located in a former church. This gives the interior and exterior of the restaurant some interesting architectural details. On the restaurant website, it is clear that the interior of the main dining room is dark in tone, somewhat old or 'historic' in decor, and decorated with an intriguing collection of stuffed foxed and other forest animals. What an interesting story there must be behind all of this !

But nothing was charming about this restaurant. The two waitstaff on duty that night barely cracked a smile, and we were given about as unfriendly a greeting as I have ever encountered in France. We were dressed well, polite, had made a reservation, understood that the menu was only in French with no English, etc etc. Unfortunately, the anticipation we had on our way to this restaurant quickly evaporated on arrival, leaving the restaurant exposed for what it was - stodgy, moth-balled and out-of-time.

After looking at the menu, we started by ordering a bottle of wine. The bleach-blond waitress with the tight pants, high-heeled boots and louche eye liner instantly took a disliking to our pronunciation of the name of the wine we were trying to order. After several rounds of our trying to order the wine and saying that she did not know what we meant, the solo gentleman diner seated near our table barked over to her the name of what we wanted. His tone suggested that there was a ...'you cow', or worse, attached to the sting. She instantly demurred to him, but proceeded to bring us bottled water when we asked for ordinary water, presented by entree to my husband, etc etc. And so it went. She treated us for the remainder of the evening like American dullards.

Which is not true - my husband and I both speak reasonably good French, have an excellent vocabulary of food terms and preparation techniques and have been to France at least a dozen times. The menu was entirely in French and we navigated it beautifully, so what was her problem?

For some French people, any mis-use of the French language is unforgivable; we know this, but had never personally encountered such a cold, bristling attitude on previous trips to France.

I must say that the attitude of this waitress spoke poorly for the restaurant, for herself and for how some French in the public sector view their customers. In this world of global travel, she should have gotten over foreigners by now who don't possess perfect French or found herself another job.

Despite her best efforts to ruin our evening, she did not. The food was seasonal - we had pheasant and wild boar - and very well prepared. But no one smiled in this restaurant. Later, when I went in search of the ladies room, I passed by the kitchen where two kitchen staff were yelling and carrying on about something. I could not tell if it was a fight or two buddies having a good time. Either way, nice restaurants in France have harmony in the kitchen and yelling like this in ear-shot of the customer is....not done.

Well-meaning, good, non-French people of the world - spend your money elsewhere and don't let this moribund place dampen your enthusiasm for France. If you don't speak French and don't have a thick hide, beat a trail somewhere else - or you will be vaporized by the icy welcome in this place. These are not happy people and this restaurant, despite the delicious food, is a black hole of negativity.

• Visited November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank SavvyFoodist
Fontainebleau, France
“Very good food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

We came to this place based on TA's recommendations, and were not disappointing. Very good service, romantic atmosphere, excellent food (the best cordon bleu I've had) and reasonable pricing, made this dinner a real treat!!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
“Good food, few tourists”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

Loved the food and the atmosphere. Got a table on a rainy night, at the recommendation of our hotel. I had the traditional dish of suckling pig and sauerkraut cooked with plums; excellent! The service was very pleasant, and the decor of the place is charming. There's a great story goes with the name, and a mural above the bar to commenmorate the story of the 'preaching fox.' Most of the others in the place looked like locals, and it had a great homey feel.

Visited September 2012
Naples, Florida
“One of our trip favorites”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

This is a great choice for tasty traditional food is a beautiful historic Strasbourg setting. A five minute walk from the old town, the restaurant's exterior will make your face light up, and you will break into a full smile upon entering the premises. The food and wine choices are satisfying, the service helpful, and the bill a pleasant surprise!

• Visited August 2012