“Disappointing food that cannot match the excellent service”
Review of Au Crocodile

Au Crocodile
Reserve with
Au Crocodile is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #2 of 1,501 Restaurants in Strasbourg
Cuisines: European, Diner, French, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mairie Nord
Description: Dans un cadre des plus romantique et dans une ambiance des plus prestigieuse, regalez-vous aupres de plats finement cuisines, pour un voyage des sens assure.
Reviewed January 22, 2013

There is a sad imbalance in this restaurant. The dining room runs like a well oiled machine. I would say the service is at 2 if not 3 michelin star status. Sadly, the food drags the whole place well below even the one star standard. I say this having actually eaten there with a one michelin starred chef so I believe I am not exaggerating. I have no desire to relive each dish- I will say that the beef dish was inferior to one I ate at a bib gourmand restaurant a week earlier and that my partners 'summer truffle souffle' dessert (which was on the menu in the middle of DECEMBER) was nothing short of shameful. It resembled an omelette more than a souffle and I can only say that a chef who allows that to be served to a paying customer needs to ask himself some serious questions. The sommelier, however, was excellent and I can only guess since no one asked us why some dishes were hardly touched, that they are aware of the problem. Personally, I couldn't in good conscience recommend this place.

1  Thank restaurantlover52

Reviewed January 12, 2013

We had a highly enjoyable meal at Au Crocodile - the staff were attentive from the moment we walked through the door. The food was excellent - not quite nouvelle cuisine in style but perfectly prepared and presented. The wine list was truly impressive (but we just stuck to a local Riesling).

1  Thank JonCaves
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Widely recognized as one of the best restaurants in Strasbourg.

Overall lovely meal and Michelin starred as we all know.
Really enjoyed the attentive Maitre D's welcome.
To start-Saint Jacques for me (excellent) and Saint Pierre Gravelax for my girlfriend (nothing special)...we both shared the Lobe de Fois Gras baked in salt.
Wonderful cheese selection.

Where were we disappointed?
Let's start with what Michelin starred restaurants MUST get right...service:
Reaching across me and my girlfriend's plate to give us bread is such a basic error.
I repeatedly was refilling my water during the course of the meal.
I had to ask twice for the check.

Decor was a bit odd- the table setting is beautiful....the chairs, walls, carpet and colors....not so much...weird matching between these.

The most troubling weakness- desert:
Chocolate Streusel for desert....needed to be ordered at the start of the meal. Why? I dont know. Not only was I underwhelmed by the desert itself and generally didnt get a sense that patisserie was something these guys did very well (which for a Michelin starred restaurant is a bit of problem). As you can see his isnt my first michelin 1,2 or even 3 star review in France. I stand by what I say- Deserts to be improved.

Would I return? Yes and I would recommend.

2  Thank LeDude13
Reviewed October 31, 2012

We had lunch here yesterday and it was fantastic. We had the degustation menu and loved the whole experience - the decor, attentive service, genius food. The staff were friendly and accommodating and the cheese and dessert trolleys delightful. Au Crocodile made our trip to Strasbourg worthwhile.

2  Thank NannaCar
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Having made our reservation well in advance and reconfirming on arrival, I was pleased with the follow through to, most likely, one of the two premier tables in the restaurant. We had a large table for two next to the focal point of the room, a huge painting. However, this is where it ended. The service was the best part even though it lagged a little at times. The maitre'd was rather detached; when he asked how the dinner was I said "so so it could be better". With that he smiled and thanked us! But, one thing he did very well was suggest the wine. We asked for a local Alsace/Strasbourg suggestion and he did a superb recommendation. Actually it was every bit as good, if not better, than some we have had recently in Paris at Taillevent, Apicius, Grand Vefour, etc. to name drop a little so my critique might carry a little more weight. Why? Because the food was really way way off. Each course seem to have a curious after taste and the main course of lamb was, I am about 80% sure, mutton!. Even the dessert was barely a step above a Del Monte mixed fruit dish with a "foam" on top in a compote. I have since heard that the "Michelin chef rated" died a year or so ago. The room is very much classic French with a minimum of decoration. It carries itself rather well, but does seem dated. By the way, we had the prix fixe dinner and the portions were ample even though not tasty. The wine was both very good and very well priced. Skip the aperitif. $18. for campari on the rocks!
If you choose to try Crocodile, I think one might stick to ordering an Alsace wine, an entree and cheese and then maybe have a sweet somewhere else. Too, next time I will do more research on the better restaurants in Strasbourg. BUT NOTE; we had a delightful and very good lunch at a place one might tend to ignore. However, we had not much choice due to the time of day and the regular restaurants were closed. (1430) . It is on the river with a large outdoor terrace: "La Corde a Linge" has good prices and delicious food. Even the half order of the foie gras was ample and quite good. Also, take the boat ride (in 13 languages) for a good overview; your hotel will probably give you a 10% discount voucher!!

2  Thank TravelfromDC