“Great Stay at Beaucour”
Review of Hotel Beaucour

Hotel Beaucour
Ranked #14 of 130 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed April 22, 2009

Stayed in the junior suite for 4 nights in April. I really enjoyed this hotel. The location is great, an easy walk across the Ill river to the main town area. The room was large, and very clean. The bath room was modern, and had a large whirlpool bathtub which was quite nice. The breakfast buffet that was included with our room was great--pasteries, fruit, cereal, yogurts. The staff at the front desk was wonderful. It being a holiday weekend in the Alsace region, I had a lot of trouble getting a train ticket back to Paris for my return flight. I had gone to the ticketing office in town, and found that all the trains to Paris were booked for my departure day! The Beaucour staff helped me deal with the SNCF people, and SOMEHOW got me a ticket. I was very grateful to them for that. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Aden426

Reviewed February 26, 2009

While the outside and public spaces of this hotel are charming, we weren’t impressed with our room. It was quite small and felt very cramped as it wasn’t well arranged. But worse, it was very dark as three-quarters of the windows looked straight onto a blank wall a metre away. The last part of the window gave a bit of light as it looked into a shabby light well paved with weeds between all the surrounding buildings. That the lighting provided in the room was also very dim didn’t help. We were quite disappointed as it was nothing like the pictures on the hotel website or the glowing reviews we’d read which had led us to spend more than usual on this hotel in the hope of getting something nice.

Fortunately we were only there for one night and the location was great – very near a bridge and a few minutes walk into the centre of the old city. The parking arrangements are awkward as you have to unload your luggage in a very busy street and then drive to the nearby parking garage. Every time you want to use your car you have to be let out of the parking garage and in again which can take some time.

On the plus side, the room was nicely furnished and the bathroom was good. The narrow L-shaped courtyard that the hotel buildings are arranged around was very picturesque and the small sitting area in the lobby was pleasant with a gas fire burning. A nice touch was the complimentary mulled wine and hot orange and honey which were very welcome. There were some restaurants nearby and we can recommend the Italian restaurant around the corner where we had some fantastic pasta.

We did complain about the room and were told that their website specified that these “Chambre Confort” double rooms were small though we couldn’t find mention of it in a later check. They said there are four rooms, one on each floor, which are all like this and admitted that they don’t warn you about the view onto a blank wall. They did remove the parking charge from our bill in compensation. We loved Strasbourg and would gladly go back but we wouldn’t return to this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Ladybentley
Reviewed December 26, 2008

Well located within easy walking distance to old Strasbourg. The room and bathroom were reasonably sized, lighting just okay. Carpet had many spots and furniture was functional but tired. Decor is old fashioned without much charm. Pillows were flat as pancakes. Desk people were helpful.

• Stayed: December 2008
1  Thank euro727
Reviewed December 4, 2008

Yes, it is in a great location and yes, the staff is extremely friendly, - but I didn't enjoy it a 100 %. Especially the bathroom wasn't up to the standard of a three star hotel: There wasn't a shower, or a showerrack or a showercurtain. There was no place to put my toiletries on, - unless I wanted them to get wet. There wasn't a rack for the towels (!), - and last but not least: The bathroom was "a room with a view" (so I had to close the curtains every time). Just behind the door was a step in the middle of the room (quite tricky). Although there are two lifts in the house, I wouldn't recommand it to anybody who ist handicapped.

1  Thank emmessduesseldorf
Reviewed November 18, 2008

This hotel is very conveniently located in the centre of Strasbourg. You certainly can't fault its location. Perhaps the only criticism is the fact that it has no parking on site. However, there is parking only a minute up the road. If you have lots of bags etc, it may be a good idea to drop them off first and then go park. There is someone who can help you with that and with letting you into the parking lot.

The room was nice, large, and comfortable. We stayed in the alsatian suite, which was very charming. Only criticism: there was a whirlpool bath but no shower. In other words, if you want to have a shower you have to use the handheld shower head and water is likely to go everywhere.

There was wireless internet in the room, which may be accessed at a cost. There was also room service from a nearby restaurant, but we didn't think the pasta was very good. Perhaps try something else if you want to eat in.

Breakfast was a selection of croissants, danishes, jams, etc. Everything was very fresh and tasty.

All staff were very helpful, professional and friendly. Check in and check out were super fast and hassle free. The hotel was tidy and clean and everything worked as it should. Overall, it was a very enjoyable and charming stay!

2  Thank Therooster
Reviewed November 3, 2008

I stayed in this hotel for 5 nights with 2 small children as part of a large group. I was in room 106 which is very long and narrow with one double bed and a pull out sofa bed which was fine for the 2 kids. There is a large bathroom attached BUT it has no proper shower, only a bath (with jacuzzi fitting) and a shower attached to the taps which can only be used when held by hand.

Breakfast was good, the usual offering of pastries, bread, hams, cheese and, a great addition to the normal cold buffet, a small egg boiler so you could boil eggs if you wished.

The staff were very unobtrusive but very friendly and attentive. Coffee was delivered to the room almost as soon as I put down the phone to order it, umbrellas were found for us to borrow. This all may be very standard in a large hotel but this is a small family business which keeps the cosiness but the service doesn't suffer because of it.

There were a lot of children in our group and this didn't seem to phase them at all. That said it didn't seem to be specifically geared towards children, most of the other guests were business types/couples.

Some small reservations - the bedside lights are operated by a central switch so I could not turn on a reading light once the kids had gone to bed without flooding them with light too. The curtains don't close perfectly so light comes in in the morning. The aforementioned lack of shower wasn't great.

One final note, which is nothing to do with the hotel really, more a city council issue, the water is incredibly hard and both of my children's skin suffered badly from it. I had to liberally apply lotion to both of them to stop the scratching so if you come from a nice soft water area bring plenty of body lotion with you!!

1  Thank DLMCC
Reviewed October 6, 2008

As a tour designer I travel quite a lot and I've been to Strasbourg 5 times already and stayed at different hotels each time. But now I found the perfect place I must come back whenever and whomever I travel with.

I stayed at this fantastic Alsatian hotel with 4 other journalists for 4 nights and we had the greatest time here during our 9 biz trip to Europe. I'd recommend this hotel as the most sweet place to taste wonderful Alastian style tradition well harmonized with modern design. So cosy and so comfortable!

What is more the staffs are so kind and helpful and especially the breakfast is amazingly super beyond expression. I will come back to this hotel with my family again. I classify this hotel as one of the most recommendable in Europe.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled on business