“Great location, great room.”
Review of Hotel Beaucour

Hotel Beaucour
Ranked #12 of 130 Hotels in Strasbourg
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We spent 5 great nights at Hotel Beaucour in beautiful Strasbourg. The hotel is in a great location, an easy tram ride from the station and then a short walk (approx 100m) to the hotel. The hotel is then just a couple of minutes walk to the old town centre including the cathedral and some of the great historical sights and plenty of shops. We are a family of four, 2 adults and 2 children (14 and 12). We stayed in room 402 which is a fantastic attic room, exposed beams throughout in keeping with the original architecture. There is a lift to the third floor and then 13 easy steps up to the attic - we were offered help with our bags if required (on both arrival and departure), whilst we carried our own for others reading this there should be no problems transporting heavy luggage. Room 402 has a loft with a very comfortable, firm but not too hard double (queen) bed. The kids slept downstairs on two fold out double sofa beds and said they were comfortable. Our room was quiet, no problems with street noise in room 402 which faced the street. We had the windows shut most of the time as it was winter and the room/hotel was very warm and cosy. With the sofa beds folded out it did take up a lot of space but we were out most of the time so not a problem for us and if we had spent any time in the room we would have simply folded one of them up. The bathroom was huge with a spa/shower and separate toilet and a room for luggage. TV in the room was good, limited English channels but we weren't in Strasbourg to watch TV. Great free wifi access too. We had breakfast in the hotel every morning just because it was easiest and a buffet so we ate well and that kept us topped up for a day of exploring. I thought the breakfast was a bit expensive at 13 euro but we had plenty of choice with hot and cold foods and the kids made a doggy bag to snack on during the day. The rooms have a mini bar and offer basic meals in your room on certain nights. Staff were super friendly. On our first night we were jet lagged and wanted to order room service - as it was a Monday they couldn't give us what was on the hotel menu so organised take away from outside the hotel to be delivered, they really went out of their way to make us comfortable. Only one downside was that the lighting in the room was quite dull and a few more brighter lights would have been good particularly for reading. But otherwise, the hotel was in a great location and reasonable price for four. There is a small super market right across the road for fresh fruit, snacks and drinks so we bought wine to our room and the hotel provided glasses - all good! It was mid December during our stay so Christmas market time. Strasbourg has approx 12 locations for Chrismas markets and this hotel is really close to a number of them including one of the larger markets at the cathedral but really everything is in an easy walking distance or a quick tram ride, its so easy to get around.We loved our time at the Hotel Beaucour and would happily recommend this for others travelling to Strasbourg.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank AllieSydney

Reviewed November 24, 2012

This was my first time in Strasbourg, and my husband and I had been travelling all day by train from London. When we arrived (late in the evening) we received a warm greeting and even a wolf whistle from the hotel's parrot, who I now call cheeky boy:) We were directed to our room on the first floor. The room was excellent, it was nice and toasty inside which was great since it was very cold outside. Had all the amenities and even a nice whirlpool bath that we both used and loved. The room was a good size with lots of storage and a fridge (no safe, and no kettle though).

Location is excellent, very easy to find, and also so so close to all the sights, nice restaurants, and the train station is 15 mins away by tram. We found all the staff really nice and our room, despite facing the street, was ever so quiet. The only noise the entire 4 nights was late Saturday night when some people were partying and shouting outside, but the noise was muffled so not too bad. I slept like a baby every night. Breakfast was fine, not wow, but a decent selection of pastries, meats, cheeses, yogurts, etc...and of course tea, coffee and juice.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The whole area had a great vibe to it, not too touristy but everything is nearby. Definitely eat at S'kaechele if you can get a table (you need to book, it's tiny and always full), most amazing restaurant ever! And go to Colmar for the day if you can, so very pretty.

Overall, I would highly recommend the hotel!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Nefi
Reviewed November 20, 2012

This hotel is adequate at best. There is not only no room service - there is basically no service at all. I had eaten some crackers in bed and when I turned down the covers the next night there were cracker crumbs in the bed! How did they make the bed with crumbs in it? When I accidentally got some chocolate on the sheet, instead of changing it they turned it around so that the bottom of the sheet then became the top. Laziness or irresponsibility? I wrote a note asking for shampoo. but it was ignored. Housekeeping left an uncovered dish with a tiny éclair, a macaroon and some jelly beans on it. I would not eat uncovered, unwrapped food such as that. When I did not eat it, they just left it there for the duration of my stay. I was in a tiny, oddly shaped garret room. There were fake exposed vertical beams in the room and a flat screen TV was attached to one of them. After I hit my head 10 times on the ill-placed television, I stopped counting. It was annoying and dangerous. I do not recommend this hotel but if you decide to stay, do not accept a room facing the street. Between 4:30 and 5:00 A.M. the market across the street starts taking deliveries. The trucks, the unloading of merchandise, the shouting, and the screeching of brakes jarred me awake each morning.
On a more positive note, the buffet breakfast is very good and the hotel's location is excellent.

• Stayed: November 2012
4  Thank Valorie P
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Absolutely loved the Hotel Beaucour! I don’t think we have ever experienced a hotel that balanced charm and comfort in the same way. First of all the location in the center of town is perfect. If you have your windows open you can wake up to the bells of the Cathedral. We were on the third floor and the views over the rooftops to the Cathedral are unforgettable. Apparently, all the rooms are individually decorated and our two rooms were literally a study in Alsatian decor and sophisticated design. What we really appreciated was the comfort factor. The Beaucour gets all the details right. The toiletries, soaps & shampoos were luxurious. Breakfast was outstanding (even teenager won’t need lunch). And the welcome was genuinely warm. It was really hard to leave this hotel as we had been traveling in Europe as a family for 3 weeks and this was unanimously our favorite hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2012

My first time in this lovely hotel. Fantastic location close to the Cathedral and many many great restaurants. I given the suite on the 4th floor. Yes the lift goes to only the 3rd floor but its worth the extra effort to climb the extra stairs. But before you start to lug your suitcase ask at reception to have the Bell boy take your luggage to your room. The suit is on 2 levels and offers a rustic and old world feel. I stayed for 4 night and slept like a baby every night. The breakfast is also great. Overall a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Upgrade and take the suite.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We stayed here Oct.7th. This is a charming hotel with a great location. We stayed in room #404. This room is on the top floor of the hotel. It was clean and comfortable with large windows and an over sized bathroom. The view out into to the courtyard of the half timbered buildings is lovely. You can walk to all of the sites of town from this hotel, simply cross the river and there it all is. To reach our room we did need to take a few stairs. We have small travel bags for use in older hotels and transfer our needed clothing and things in advance to them, so that we do not have any problems carrying luggage. This makes things so much easier, stairs or not.
This was our third visit to the fantastic city of Strasbourg and our first at this hotel. We would stay at this hotel again, as it is clean, friendly, comfortable, reasonable, and very well located. What else could you ask for? Oh, and a parrot to talk to too. Just great.

Room Tip: If you pack your things in smaller carry ons you will not have a problem with the stairs. Otherwise...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2012

It starts even before the reception, stairs. Then, thanks to them "upgrading" our room from a Suite Alsacien to what?, we were sent to the rooftop (literary). The elevator only goes to the third floor so here we are again dragging our luggage up another narrow staircase to our "suite" consisting of a duplex right under the roof. I counted a total of 6 stairs before arriving at the room, exhausting! I did not think about it until the middle of the night, but since they allow smoking in this old wood frame hotel, our room would have been a complete death trap in case of a fire. Beware!

Room Tip: Unless you like dragging your luggage up the stairs, make sure to get a room at a lower floor.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple