“Pleasant visit, lots to learn”
Review of Ophorus

Ophorus
Ranked #2 of 15 Food & Drink in Strasbourg
More attraction details
Owner description: Small group scheduled and private tours of Alsace departing from Strasbourg or Colmar. All tours are conducted by english speaking driver/guides. Transportation in recent, comfortable and fully equipped Mercedes minivans.
Reviewed September 8, 2017

We enjoyed our day touring rural Alsace with Danielle, which turned out to be a private tour because we were the only bookings for the day. The towns and villages themselves (Colmar, Eguisheim, Riquewehr, Hunawihr and Haut Kronenbourg castle) were picturesque and interesting, but Danielle's explanations of local customs, history and architecture made them much better. She was an excellent guide, and quick to follow up on our particular areas of interest.

All reviews
"winery owners"
"haut koenigsbourg"
"driver guide"
in 7 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"tour company"
"alsace area"
"wine making"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed September 4, 2017 via mobile

We had a private full day wine tour with Jean and it matched the quality and interest of the wine tour that we have done in Burgundy, Provence, Champagne, and Loire.

It only ended up including three wineries because of the interesting winemakers and places, great restaurant for lunch and interesting historical advices along the way by Jean.

The wineries were especially interesting two smaller producers 35,000 and 50,000 bottles p.a.), and one mid sized winery (85,000 bot p.a.), Zinck. We had arranged to visit a large winery (1,000,000 bot p.a.), Trimbach, as their product is available in Australia.

The tour wineries were an interesting contrast and emphasised that non dry Rieslings and Pinot Gris are not as bad as we thought, and you could get used to them if you ate Alsace food, especially cheese, at home.

Jean was informative, friendly and amusing and an excellent guide.

Reviewed August 31, 2017

Everything about the tour was absolutely great: of course, the wines and wineries we visited, but also the "stuff around it". Namely, our guide, Daniele, really took us through he whole history of the region, showed us most beautiful places, even the village where we had lunch was a gem. This is why I recommend the tour also to those who are not much into wine - they will get real deep into Alsace and the beauty it holds.

Reviewed August 30, 2017

I booked a private wine tour for four people over two days to maximize the experience along the Alsace Wine Route. Here are things that I would share to help you plan:

1. The tour company is extremely accommodating to your requests. I specified that I wanted to visit excellent boutique wineries, and that is what I got. Many of the 8 places I visited over two days were producing exceptional wines, AND are also so lesser-known that they don't have any TA reviews. I also specified seeing some of the most beautiful villages. They also made this happen.
2. The tour does not include meals or tasting fees in the tour. Three things here:
A. I felt like the tour was already a bit pricey, so to have included a tasting fee in my original price (even if that made things a few Euros more) would have been preferred than the extra nickel-and-diming.
B. Each stop had very different tastings and tasting fees. At a couple of stops the winery owners seemed confused about the tasting fees, which made me wonder what was going on, yet not enough to question at the time.
C. Not including lunch was no problem. It was nice not being pressured to visit a particular restaurant with tips/kickbacks built in. We could eat as fast or slow as we wanted at a place of our choice.
3. The tour guide/driver was very good. She was a very safe driver and also friendly and willing to answer questions.
4. At the end of the tour, we were offered a protective, plastic bottle holder for an extra 3 Euros. Again, while this is very minor, I would have preferred to have received one of these as a "gift" for booking the tour (with the cost rolled into my initial price), rather than an add on.
5. The Wine Road itself is stunningly beautiful. We were picked up from a hotel in Strasbourg each morning. In two days we visited south to Colmar, yet did not get into the town or south of it. If you stay in Colmar, Ophorus will pick you up there as well.
Also, some of the boutique wineries offer a guest room or two. You may be able to have a very unique experience by coordinating this through the tour company, with them picking you up in a village.
6. The company is very quick to respond to e-mails and requests. Be mindful of their cancellation and payment policies when you book.

ophorus, Manager at Ophorus, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2017

Bonjour,
I have read your extended review with a lot of interest and would like to thank you for your time in reviewing our tour in Alsace. First of all "merci beaucoup" for your very positive feedback concerning the choice of wineries, time for lunch, your guide and our ability to accommodate the tour to your requirements. Concerning the inclusions your point about the "wine sleeve" (plastic bottle holder) is very interesting and I will certainly be thinking about including them as a gift on our future private tours. Concerning the tasting fees, it is possible for us to include them and usually this is something we organize during the booking process. It appears you weren't given that information and I will make sure to touch a word on that with my reservations team.
I hope you have the opportunity to come back to France and if so we will be happy to organize your next tour in Bordeaux, Dordogne or the Loire valley maybe!
Best