Ways to Experience Ophorus
from $149.60
from $149.60
from $264.70
More Info
All reviews alsace wine wine tour full day tour different wineries private tour small group visited wineries castle tour excellent tour great guide winery owners haut koenigsbourg driver guide tour company alsace area highly recommend this tour wine making
Reviewed August 31, 2017

Everything about the tour was absolutely great: of course, the wines and wineries we visited, but also the "stuff around it". Namely, our guide, Daniele, really took us through he whole history of the region, showed us most beautiful places, even the village where we had lunch was a gem. This is why I recommend the tour also to those who are not much into wine - they will get real deep into Alsace and the beauty it holds.

Reviewed August 30, 2017

I booked a private wine tour for four people over two days to maximize the experience along the Alsace Wine Route. Here are things that I would share to help you plan:

1. The tour company is extremely accommodating to your requests. I specified that I wanted to visit excellent boutique wineries, and that is what I got. Many of the 8 places I visited over two days were producing exceptional wines, AND are also so lesser-known that they don't have any TA reviews. I also specified seeing some of the most beautiful villages. They also made this happen.
2. The tour does not include meals or tasting fees in the tour. Three things here:
A. I felt like the tour was already a bit pricey, so to have included a tasting fee in my original price (even if that made things a few Euros more) would have been preferred than the extra nickel-and-diming.
B. Each stop had very different tastings and tasting fees. At a couple of stops the winery owners seemed confused about the tasting fees, which made me wonder what was going on, yet not enough to question at the time.
C. Not including lunch was no problem. It was nice not being pressured to visit a particular restaurant with tips/kickbacks built in. We could eat as fast or slow as we wanted at a place of our choice.
3. The tour guide/driver was very good. She was a very safe driver and also friendly and willing to answer questions.
4. At the end of the tour, we were offered a protective, plastic bottle holder for an extra 3 Euros. Again, while this is very minor, I would have preferred to have received one of these as a "gift" for booking the tour (with the cost rolled into my initial price), rather than an add on.
5. The Wine Road itself is stunningly beautiful. We were picked up from a hotel in Strasbourg each morning. In two days we visited south to Colmar, yet did not get into the town or south of it. If you stay in Colmar, Ophorus will pick you up there as well.
Also, some of the boutique wineries offer a guest room or two. You may be able to have a very unique experience by coordinating this through the tour company, with them picking you up in a village.
6. The company is very quick to respond to e-mails and requests. Be mindful of their cancellation and payment policies when you book.

Date of experience: August 2017
ophorus, Manager at Ophorus, responded to this reviewResponded September 7, 2017

Bonjour,
I have read your extended review with a lot of interest and would like to thank you for your time in reviewing our tour in Alsace. First of all "merci beaucoup" for your very positive feedback concerning the choice of wineries, time for lunch, your guide and our ability to accommodate the tour to your requirements. Concerning the inclusions your point about the "wine sleeve" (plastic bottle holder) is very interesting and I will certainly be thinking about including them as a gift on our future private tours. Concerning the tasting fees, it is possible for us to include them and usually this is something we organize during the booking process. It appears you weren't given that information and I will make sure to touch a word on that with my reservations team.
I hope you have the opportunity to come back to France and if so we will be happy to organize your next tour in Bordeaux, Dordogne or the Loire valley maybe!
Best
Christophe - Owner/Manager

Reviewed August 21, 2017

This Pearls of Alsace tour was exceptional and much more than I had anticipated. Our guide Florence was absolutely incredible and full of knowledge! We went to several villages and ended at the medieval castle. There was plenty of time to walk around and eat. We even drove through the vineyards! I cannot recommend this enough!

Reviewed August 18, 2017

We had a great tour with Daniele. She was so knowledgable and took care to walk with us through each town and explain the sights and history. She also adjusted the timing of the tour to improve our experience and make sure we didn't hit too many crowds.

Reviewed August 16, 2017

We had such an enjoyable day with our guide, Danielle, who felt more like an old friend than just a tour guide! In addition to showing us around and telling us about the history and culture of the region, she had a great sense of humor and was fun to be around. We started by heading to Colmar, a beautiful town full of half-timbered houses, canals, and flowers everywhere. We also went to Eguisheim and Riquewihr, two other small, cute towns, where Danielle showed us many examples of the way the half-timbered buildings were made historically and what all the little details meant. In the afternoon, she took us wine tasting at a co-op winery where we were able to tour the wine making facilities and see how the grapes are processed. Then we went to Haut Koenigsbourg castle, which was an incredibly impressive fortress! It was a wonderful day and perfect introduction to Alsace.

1  Thank thats_so_poe