Hotel Le 21eme
$86
$78
HIExpress.com
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed March 1, 2009

We are a mature couple who were looking for an inexpensive hotel in the downtown area. We found what we were looking for and would return again. Our room was on the top floor overlooking the street and there was little problem with noise this time of year. The room small but was clean and comfortable with a single and double bed, TV and small bathroom. It was warm and cozy. The staff were very friendly and helpful working diligently on our behalf when a parking problem with our rented car occurred. We had breakfast every day in the bar and were satisfied and even received additional coffee upon request with no hesitation.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 19, 2008

The worst hotel experience I have ever had. I booked this hotel online for three nights -- two in June and one in July at the end of my trip (I flew out of Entzheim). The first time I stayed there, I had encounters with 3 different desk clerks. All were very rude, despite the fact that I spoke mostly French with them and obeyed all the social conventions and ettiquite (manners of address, etc...).

When I returned for my last night in July, I realized the clerk had taken my email confimation for my previous stay, but I had the correct reservation number written down. I showed it to a new clerk who refused to accept it saying she needed the printed email. I explained what had happened with the other clerk, and she still refused to accept it. I told her my name was on the computer roster, which she held up saying I had no reservation. I pointed to my name (which was clearly printed) and told her my name again. She still refused. I asked if I could go to the internet cafe in the basement and forward a copy of the confimation email to her. She said no. Finally, I showed her the email confirmation from my previous stay and she asked if I had a passport, which I showed to her. She said, "okay, you can have the room." 15 minutes of back and forth that could easily have been solved by checking my passport in the first place, or the computer -- you get the picture.

Later that evening, it occurred to me that since I was checking out at 5 am, I might want to settle my bill. I went downstairs and went through a repeat experience, with her first telling me it wasn't possible for me to pay then because she didn't have my bill but that there wouldn't be anyone at the desk in the morning until 6 am. I politely asked how I should pay my bill then, and spent the next 10 minutes listening to her complain and berate me about the fact that it was impossible for her to produce a bill, and that no record of my previous or current stay existed. Finally I gave her the reciept from my previous visit (so glad I saved it) and she said, "okay, you can pay that."

Through both experiences I kept my cool, was polite, even apologized for the misunderstanding even though I was clearly not at fault. I went above and beyond to have a positive interaction with her. I have stayed at many hotels in France, and have never been treated so poorly. She was beyond rude -- she was deliberately mean.

As for the hotel -- the rooms are like dorm rooms. I stayed in many similar places, but I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone. If you can afford it, go to Hotel Hannong, which is just around the corner and yards better in both service and quality. I had good luck with the Kyriad in Reims and there is one in Strasbourg next to the train station. But Hotel le 21eme -- skip it.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled solo
10  Thank frenchgardener
Reviewed December 30, 2007

Hotel Le 21 should be renamed Prison Cell 21. It is not a hotel but a collection of concrete cells. Felons in prison have more room and better facilities than this hotel. Our room was so small that with two tiny single beds, you had to shuffle sideways to fit between the end of the bed and the wall. The bathroom was totally misnamed - it was not a room but a shower into which a toilet and basin was placed. the towels are stored 6 feet above the ground as everything gets soaked from the shower. If the rooms were free, they would still be overpriced. To add insult to injury, our bathrrom was filthy - the toilet had not even been flushed, never mind cleaned and an appalling smell emanated from the drain. Although I had rung weeks earlier reqesting our two rooms be next to each other, our children's room was two floor up from ours and of course the phones should have allowed us to ring direct, but didn't. The staff communicated by screaming up the concrete stair-well and were brusque to the point of rudeness. If you ever wanted to end your life, this would be the kind of room you would want to do it in. I am sure if you stayed here long enough, doing so would be a real possability. Strasbourg is a beautiful city, but staying here would totally ruin any enjoyment you could have. We cancelled our booking as soon as possible and couldn't leave fast enough.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
9  Thank ljdMelbourne
Reviewed July 10, 2007

This is a typical small city hotel, good location near Place Kleber & the Cathedral. Our room was simple, small but clean, and efficiently laid out. It also has a balcony with two chairs, although there wasn't much of a view on the street side of the hotel. There is no AC, so if you need to keep the window open at night (we did...), be aware there may be some street noise in the wee hours. The bathroom is also the shower stall, which requires some careful arranging of the shower curtain. Bring your own hairdryer! Hotel is connected to an Italian restaurant next door, with an internet cafe in the basement.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank der_Wanderer
Reviewed June 12, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for three nights. We booked the reservation with a european website that charges your credit card at the end of your stay. The hotel is an easy 10 to 15 minute walk from the main train station. The hotel location was perfect. Close to all the sites, I'll River, shopping and cafes. The price of the room was cheap yet you get what you pay for. Small rooms, cruise ship small. TV was small yet mounted on the wall to free up space on the small desk. Biggest complaint would have to be the bathroom. The shower floor is the whole bathroom floor. You shower with nothing between you and the toilet. Yes, there was a shower curtain yet you still share the same floor with the toilet. Everything in the bathroom gets wet when showering- toilet, sink, walls and door. Breakfast is not included in the price yet you can pay 7Euros for a pastry, coffee and juice, we did not. The room was clean and fresh towels were always provided the next day. We had a balcony that overlooked a quite alley and other windows to the adjacent building. There was no air conditioning yet the door to the balcony could be left open all the way or partially. We liked the location and the price and if you are on a budget this is the hotel for you. We would stay here again yet would look at other hotel options and compare the price.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple