“Superb quality after an initial lapse” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Le Bouclier d'Or

Hotel Le Bouclier d'Or
Ranked #2 of 130 Hotels in Strasbourg
Travelling
“Superb quality after an initial lapse”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2014

This is a beautiful place to stay and I heartily recommend it.

It's about 12 minutes walk from the station, bit of a hike over the cobblestones but I enjoyed it. Being fairly flat, Strasbourg is a walker's paradise and the sights, which are abundant and lie in every direction, are within easy reach.

Mine was an extremely large room with a view over the courtyard (double-glazing ensured absolute quietness) beautifully furnished with provincial antique furniture and a giant chandelier that cast subtle patterns on the walls. (Down-lights and lamps ensure plenty of additional light when needed.)

The enormous bathroom with double basins has been sleekly designed.

Wifi reception was excellent with no need to log-in again after initial connection.

Breakfast is a superbly presented feast served in an elegantly panelled room with a mural on one wall. You are cheerily greeted and asked to "frappez sur la porte" (to the kitchen) if you have any further needs.

For the gently pampered luxury that you enjoy, Hotel Le Bouclier cd'Or affords great value.

I would like to rate It 5 stars but a bungled check-in means that in all honesty I can't.

I'd arrived by train around midday and had hoped for an early check-in. Not possible. Fair enough. But instead I was told - not asked - to come back at 3 pm because the room assigned to me had just been vacated and would not be ready till then.

3 hours to clean a room? I had pre-paid so was somewhat at a disadvantage but produced a copy of my confirmation which stipulated a 2 pm check-in and politely but firmly said that I would return at that time expecting my room to be available.

I did and it was. There was no unpleasantness and I experienced amicable relations thereafter with those who had been involved.

This glitch was out of character with the welcoming approach and general atmosphere otherwise enjoyed. Perhaps they were under immense mid-summer pressure or a cleaner had failed to show.

Whatever the reason, it's probably one of those one-off oversights. It stops me according Hotel Le Bouclier d'Or 5 stars, but the quality of the rest of most stay was of such excellence that my overall memory is a happy one.

Room Tip: The hotel has been so thoughtfully and superbly renovated that it's hard to imagine there are an...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank PartyofOne2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I stayed in the Bouclier d'Or (the Golden Shield) in Strasbourg for a long weekend with grown-up kids. The hotel is a beautifully refurbished sixteenth century building with a spiral staircase in a turret. The rooms are tastefully decorated, with fabulous antique furniture and modern bathrooms. Everything is air-conditioned, which was a huge relief during a hot weekend in July. The staff are welcoming and friendly. The hotel is situated in the Petite France area of the Grand Ile in central Strasbourg, within 10 minutes' gentle meander of the looming Gothic cathedral, the museums in the Palais de Rohan and lots of eateries in the picturesque streets and squares. It's also not more than 20 minutes' walk from the central station. Top marks to Denis and Deborah Jung, the proprietors, for running an excellent establishment with real character.

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent. There is a choice of sizes, and one or two twins if you don't want...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Roger C
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Located right in the middle of one of the prettiest and interesting towns in Europe. Can't really decide if it's French or German and ends up combining the best of both which results in a wonderful homely experience of great quality

Room Tip: Ask for a first floor room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rob B
Ho Ho Kus, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2014

Recently stayed here for a couple of days and overall it was a nice experience. Perfect location in La Petite France for exploring the best of Strasbourg. The hotel is tastefully appointed as was the room we stayed in. It was clean. The breakfast was enjoyable with a nice variety and the woman who too care of everyone was very pleasant and attentive. The staff in the lounge was also very friendly and kind, as was the gentlemen who checked us into the hotel. The spa experience was only ok. The spa area had a Very loud group of woman who monopolized the entire small space and made relaxation impossible. There was no staff there to intervene and the group of about 4-5 women basically screamed as if they were in a pub instead of a tranquil space designed for silence. Unfortunately, the massage was not a satisfying experience , I asked for more pressure on several occasions at least on the neck and back, but it did not happen. It was just basically like having oil rubbed lightly on your body. The spa was a big draw for us to book the hotel, so that was a disappointment. When we checked out we were in a hurry to catch our taxi to the train, the front desk was busy and we were running late. They were having problems with their credit card machine and we were unable to use the credit card we wanted to use because the machine was down. We were forced to use the one on file that has an extra fee for foreign transactions. There was no apology offered for the inconvenience and we were late so we couldn't wait for them to keep trying. We paid more because their machine was down, that isn't right. We caught a bit of an attitude from the desk at this point. We ran out and when I checked the bill later there were two charges from the lounge that weren't ours. I emailed the hotel and they assured me it would be credited back to our card. In then get an email from my credit card company advising me of a foreign CHARGE for the same amount instead of a credit. So now it's two times the amount they owe us. I email them again...and sure enough they made a mistake again. They did a debit then realized and did a credit but that' only made us even and still missing the original credit for the mistake. Very unprofessional for a four star hotel of this caliber. I also left my scarf in the room and they offered to ship it to me for a fee equal to what I paid for the scarf. In light of the issues we experienced I asked them(they did not offer) to please mail me the scarf at their expense. I asked twice before they responded yes they would. It was 6 or 7 euros to ship me the scarf ( I said send it slowest way) and I was grateful and appreciative, very!! But, for that little cost it would have been really nice if they would have just offered to ship it to me as a way to make up for the billing issues. It would have been good practice and service to make things right. I never complained about the spa, the therapist was very nice and I didn't want to leave in my robe and slippers to find a staff member to scold the women to be quiet, too much stress. Strasbourg and the Alsace was a very beautiful area to visit.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kristinjk
Seedorf, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

The hotel is just in the heart of little France. Within minutes you can reach all places of interest in the old city of Strasbourg.

Very nice Hotel. Newly renovated, but you still feel the old days. Modern and "old" very good mixed and blended. Personal exceptionally nice and helpful. We had a room to the Streets "nr. 8" so it was a bit loud in the morning when the rubbish car was collecting. But it was not dramatic and only one morning.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars
1 Thank dkazoch01
Kansas City, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

We just returned from a terrific 6 day trip of Alsace and stayed the Bouclier as our base location. We couldn't ask for a better hotel! Our trip was with our neighbors, they had a suite and we had a upgraded size room.

Gorgeous room and fabulous staff. It's a touch off the beaten path and out of the noise and hustle and bustle, yet only a 10 minute walk from the Cathedral and the same to the train station - but only 2 minutes from some very nice restaurants.

Breakfast is expensive (we only ate there once) but it may be the finest breakfast you will ever encounter at a hotel.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat and recommend to anyone seeking upscale accommodations.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Judson B
Southwest
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

We stayed at the Hotel Le Bouclier d'Or over this past weekend, and it was an amazing experience. We had room #9, the deluxe suite. With a family of four, it was great to have downstairs and upstairs area. We also had our small dog, and upon arrival, our dog had a doggie bed set up with two pet bowls. The beds were amazingly comfortable and large. The TV had five - six channels in every language (French, English, Spanish, Russsian, Chinese). The room was immaculate and the staff was FRIENDLY. Our kids had a blast in their upstairs area and they had a great whirlpool bath in the room that they loved. The level of customer service at this hotel is top notch. We would love to stay here again and we highly recommend. You will feel pampered and comfortable here.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family