“disappointing”

Ranked #49 of 127 Hotels in Strasbourg
Vancouver, Canada
“disappointing”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

we reserved an economy room for one night at this hotel. The room we got was so small that the double bed barely fitted in there, forget about a place for our luggage... but then this is France and our expectations were not high anyways. What was quite shocking was that the toilet was in a tiny room at one end of the room and the sink was in another tiny room in the opposite end of the room!! I doubt that this complies with hygiene guidelines of any developed country! We complained about this and the receptionist's response was that "you've got and economy room, this is what you get for that price" and "all the economy rooms in the hotel have the same layout"! It was only after we mentioned that we'll write a review and complain about this that she remembered that they have another "economy" room with a different layout where toilet and sink are in the same little room! What was interesting about this 2nd room was that the "window" of the room opened right into the corridor. So we had to keep the blinds closed if we needed a little privacy - definitely not suitable for couples...
The breakfast was overpriced (13EURO) and not impressive at all. We ended up getting breakfast at Au Fond Du Jardin which is in walking distance (~3minutes) and offers a much nicer atmosphere and breakfast at a more reasonable price (10EURO).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank TravellingIda

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stayed here for one of the European Parliament weeks in Strasbourg. This was a great location to be in, close to the Cathedral, all of the good restaurants that sell Tarte Flambee, and all of the nice shops. It was also grey being there in November when all of the Christmas decorations were up.

The staff were very friendly towards me, and were very helpful with my not-so-fantastic French. They were very accommodating when we wanted to add an extra night to our trip, and did not charge for the second person.

The room was small but clean and very usable. Great value for money considering the location!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Henri3tta
Concord, California
Reviewed December 16, 2013

The main attraction of this hotel is the location. Literally right across from the cathedral and easy walking access to everything. Although downtown is small so walking anywhere is easy. I thought the hotel itself was just fine. Staff wasn't overly polite but by no means rude and always helped when I asked. I will say this hotel might be a bit tough for people not physical capable. You do need to walk up these windy stairs to get to the first floor. But I just asked the staff to help me with my case and they were happy to oblige. But they are narrow stairs and the elevator is tiny. For me this wasn't a problem but some people might mind it. I got the room with a cathedral view and it was great. Good space as well. Obviously it was really noisy all day and up till about 10 at night but you need to going in expecting that since you are right in the center. I saw some rooms that were in the back and had a window to the hotel stairs which probably wouldn't be fun. So try to get a specific room.

Room Tip: Choose a cathedral view.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jaz8610
Paris, Texas
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I travel all over the world extensively and have stayed in some great, some good and some bad hotels. This one is a bad hotel.
The whole place looks threadbare, as you haul your bags up narrow and winding stairs. After you find the single tiny elevator on your own, since the unfriendly and lazy person behind the reception desk who looked utterly annoyed at your arrival, would just point her polished fingernail at the general direction of where you might find it, you realize that you might as well go up and down a few more stairs past several bizarrely oppointed room for the minimalistic breakfast that you will eat the next day, to find your cell, I mean room. Literally, my wife and I had to squeeze ourselves into a tiny room with a rug that must have been vacuumed the days after the magnificent cathedral next door was completed. The tv screen on the wall blocked the way to the bathroom, which housed a not so secure toilet, squeezed between the sink and the wall. The towels are antique. I believe Louis the fourteenth used them. But the best was the size of the so-called room. Ten percent of it was occupied by a massive minibar housed in a disgustingly decrepit fake wood frame. The bed was against the wall on one side, so I had to slide forward to leave it. Only one of us could be up and about at any point, as there was no room for two adults to be moving around. I tried to call reception for a taxi. The phone did not work. One night it got quite cold, making us to discover the heater built likely when De Gaul was president didn't work. When I walked to the lobby to ask for help, I was told it will be addressed in five minutes, after which a staff member brought a large electric heater over. I told him it would take a space genius to force it, me and my wife into that room. He did. He must have worked previously for a circus.

I have never written a review of a hotel I have stayed in, but this one was so awful that I have to do it. Also, I am embarrassed to let my lovely colleagues at the university of Strasbourg who invited me for a lecture to know about this. I am only hoping that they somehow read this review and boycott this sorry excuse for a hotel in the future.

This place should simply be shut down. It is an utter embarrassment.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
7 Thank Marcel H
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Very comfortable room - compact with striking decoration but had everything we needed. Very warm though, and couldn't get the A/C to work. Lovely views across the square to the Cathedral on one side, view into the courtyard on the other. The courtyard can be noisy at night as there is a restaurant out there, but this calms down after 11pm. Really tiny elevator from 1st floor up, but manageable (just) for two people. Decent breakfast with good selection. Excellent location for restaurants and tourist attractions. Much cheaper to book online than to pay over the counter when you get there.

Room Tip: Front rooms have the best view, but due to the nightlife in the town, the noise will be there until...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank suttonca81
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We had a one night stand in Strasbourg, my wife and I, after an enjoyable eight day cycling trip through Alsace. We were looking for a reasonably priced, centrally located Hotel to stay the last night of our trip before heading South. Booked this hotel on Expedia.ca and we were pleasantly surprised with our small but very clean and nicely decorated room on the top floor of the building. We were concerned that it might be noisy with the Hotel being right on the main square but we slept well without hearing a sound. The Hotel is a bit of a maze to make your way around but nothing out of the ordinary for many similar three star. Would recommend it for a quick overnight in Strasbourg for its very central location.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank VanTheMan1313
Ipswich UK
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We chose this hotel for its reasonable cost and location.
The location was excellent, but you WILL get woken in the morning by the Cathedral Bells.
We had room 51 which is up in the gods so if you don't like stairs you will need to select your room carefully. Being up under the eaves, anyone over 5ft 6ins will have trouble getting under the shower - also there was no hot water in the late afternoon.
Don't forget that 2 hours free cycle hire is available, but not clearly mentioned. That's a great way to see the city.
Breakfast looked good but we went out to Snack Michel for breakfast.
There are no tea/coffee making facilities
As the hotel is deep in the pedestrian precinct you need to park on the street, which is free after 7pm and at weekends and holidays. We parked at the nearby Gutenberg underground car park (at 25 euro per day) until 7pm on the day before the holiday

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple